Starting today, September 23, 2008, HP is giving away 15 laptops through 15 websites and Cooking For Engineers is one of them! You can actually participate in all fifteen giveaways to maximize your chances of getting a laptop. Cooking For Engineers will be giving away an HP Pavilion dv5t notebook computer on October 11, 2008.
Starting on September 26, the first site will have one week to determine the winner of their giveaway computer. Every two days, another contest will begin on the next site in the giveaway. This gives you a decent amount of time to get the word out to your friends and to participate in as many giveaways as you can. Each site will be running a different contest (details will be announced on the day the contest begins for that site).
Here's the schedule of the other participants in "The HP Freshman 15" giveaway (go to their sites to find out how to participate in their giveaways):
- Poorer Than You - Contest Starts 26-Sep; Giveaway 3-Oct
- Broke-Ass Student - Contest Starts 28-Sep; Giveaway 5-Oct
- Broke Grad Student - Contest Starts 30-Sep; Giveaway 7-Oct
- Study Hacks - Demystifying College Success - Contest Starts 2-Oct; Giveaway 9-Oct
- Cooking for Engineers - Contest Starts 4-Oct; Giveaway 11-Oct
- College Being - Contest Starts 6-Oct; Giveaway 13-Oct
- Paul Stamatiou - Contest Starts 8-Oct; Giveaway 15-Oct
- DormDelicious - Contest Starts 10-Oct; Giveaway 17-Oct
- Student Bloggers - Contest Starts 12-Oct; Giveaway 19-Oct
- Jessica Mah Meets World - Contest Starts 14-Oct; Giveaway 21-Oct
- UNEASYsilence - Contest Starts 16-Oct; Giveaway 23-Oct
- Gomeler.com - Contest Starts 18-Oct; Giveaway 25-Oct
- CampusGrotto - Contest Starts 20-Oct; Giveaway 27-Oct
- Hack College - Contest Starts 22-Oct; Giveaway 29-Oct
- The University Blog - Contest Starts 24-Oct; Giveaway 31-Oct
Here is the system we'll be giving away:
HP Pavilion dv5t (click for details)
Update Oct. 4, 2008:
Let the HP Freshman 15 begin for Cooking For Engineers!
I want to keep the contest pretty simple, so here are the rules:
- Any one can enter even if you aren't in the United States. You have to be prepared to give me your mailing address (so I can have the laptop shipped to you if you win) and social security number (so Hewlett Packard can handle the taxes for this prize) if you live in the U.S.
- Post a comment to this article with a picture of food showing the phrase "cookingforengineers.com" in the picture. Note: the phrase has to be present at the time the picture is taken - no image editing or Photoshop allowed!
Some examples are:
- bake a cake and frost it with CookingForEngineers.com (then take a picture)
- take a picture of your entree at a restaurant along with a paper that says CookingForEngineers.com
- take a picture of an elaborate construction of French fries that spells out CookingForEngineers.com
You can post pictures by uploading first onto the internet somewhere. An example is to upload it to Flickr. Then come to this article and reply to it and post a comment with the picture embedded in it. To do this, you'll need to copy the location of the image that you uploaded. If you uploaded it to flickr, just go to the page where the photo is and right-click on the photo and select "view image" on your browser. Then copy the url from the location bar of your browser (it should look like: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/67/227507648_d9211a6c78.jpg?v=0) and put it into the comment that you're posting like this:
I hope that all made sense...
On October 11, 2008 the contest ends. I'll be traveling, so the exact time that it ends will be when I get a chance to log on and post a reply to this article announcing the end of the contest. Any entries after that won't count. Then in the next couple days, I and a panel of five (Tina and a few friends) will decide which of the entries we like the most. Then I'll contact the winner via email to get their address.
To ensure that I'll be able to contact the winner, please be sure to register for an account first OR leave you contact info in your comment. You can make an account by going to this page. Once you've made your account, click on the post a comment link here or below and post your entry.
Update Oct. 6, 2008:
I forgot to mention that by entering the contest, you're also giving Cooking For Engineers the right to use the photographs submitted in the future. If you don't want Cooking For Engineers to be able to use your photo in the future, you can remove your entry (or email me at email@example.com to have it removed.
Also, I didn't realize it earlier but I'll be giving away a couple HP messenger bags (~$40 value) to runner ups.