Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diamond steel haters of the world, UNITE....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meathook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Diamond steel haters of the world, UNITE.... Reply with quote

so I can get a unified opinion on "why are most opinions adverse to using a diamond coated steel for sharpening".
Have used stones to sharpen knives for a long time, but have never used a diamond steel, diamond block or one big fat diamond Laughing Out Loud to sharpen any knife. Since I do not use any guide, blocks, tool rests or special incantations [well, ok, a few special words sometimes Wink ] it is tedious and quite time consuming to get a free-hand hold just right when using a stone and think it might be a bit easier to use a diamond steel, as I use a normal steel. The bite on the edge is more easily controlled and with good followthrough, I think I can adequately mimic the old angle so that the new edge equals the old. My hard Arkansas stone will produce a fine edge, but I wonder if a diamond can equal a good Arkansas stone. I admit that I considered augmenting my 3x8 stone with a nice 4x12 and have even priced them on the web [oh pain, agony....the price]. But they look r-e-a-l nice, and would love to stroke one a few times Smile . Could buy four diamond steels for the price of one good stone. And no, will not ever consider sending my babies out to be sharpened....cause I don't want a third of my knive's metal as dust on his floor.
SirShazar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond coated abrasives work fast, but they are very rough. There are some exceptions, like the DMT Dia-Sharp. But its expensive and the advantage is mostly in speed.

For knives, I don't mind using a cheapo diamond stone to fix nicks and shape the angles, but I always follow it up with a medium/fine waterstone to get that razor edge. A diamond steel doesn't make sense to me because it'll produce a rougher edge than my finishing stone.
meathook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You identified roughness [of the sharpened edge] as a detrimental quality of diamond steels; that is the characteristic which causes my concern with their use. I just purchased a small round diamond coated taper steel to try out [worth the $8 at Lowes] and sharpen the concave serrated edge on an inexpensive bread knife. The inside ground surfaces appeared quite rough; perhaps I need to compare its grit to a fine grit diamond tapered steel seen at the knife shop, and then try a very fine diamond steel, followed by honing with my stone.
Thanks for comment.[/i]
SirShazar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serrated knives are one of those things that are an exception because finding thin fine abrasive rods isn't easy. An abrasive mixed with a binder (like my waterstone) would break if it was made in that shape.
meathook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokey Mountain Knife Works has several types of 6 inch tapered sharpeners including coarse, fine and extra fine diamond, and a ceramic hone of the same size. They are rather pricey [for what you get...a double shell handle and piece of cheap ceramic] at $18. Thought the ceramic might be interesting to use but...takes only one drop..... Found a large ceramic rod 1 inch diameter and 10 inches long out of a really hefty maple handle. This thing was only $4 so I had to have one, although I was not sure if it would even do whatever it is suppsed to do. If not, it can double as a defensive weapon Big smile . I can hear the judge already...."Let me get this clear.....to your attack, he responded with a knife sharpener?" Made a blade guard by drilling a 1 inch hole through a plastic pipe cap and inserting the ceramic rod up to the handle. Yes, it was added via a learning experience Laughing Out Loud
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum