Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted: cornbread help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rchang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Wanted: cornbread help Reply with quote

So in trying to get to know my cast iron skillet, I made cornbread the other day. This to go along the oven-baked ribs. Only my recipe called for a 10" skillet. I didn't read this part and poured my batter into my 12" skillet. I also didn't have 2 cups of cormeal, so I substituted about 1/3 cup of all purpose flour to make up the dry ingredients. Used the baking soda, baking powder. sugar, eggs, salt, buttermilk at the original measurements. (BTW this recipe from Joy of Cooking) Cooked for original 20 minutes and out came slightly thinner, definitely dry cornbread.

So to the engineering (or math part). Going back to the measurements, I figure that to go from a 10" skillet to a 12" skillet, I should increase the amount by 44% assuming I want the equivalent height on the cake with the following math. Going from a radius of 5" to 6", which gives 20% difference in radius. I then squared to 25*pi sq. in versus 36*pi sq. in. area on the bottom. Assume 1.5 in height, the volumes become 37.5*pi in^3 versus 54*pi in^3. So difference in volumes is 16.5*pi in^3, which is 44% difference to 25*pi.

So the upshot is, are my calculations correct? (I am a failed engineer, who had to go to medical school instead Unsure ) And will I have to change my baking time to compensate?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum