Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do cupcakes usually sink when they cool?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
healthy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Why do cupcakes usually sink when they cool? Reply with quote

Why do cupcakes usually sink as they cool, and can anything be done by the "average" cook to prevent it from happening?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Why do cupcakes usually sink when they cool? Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure how this website works, but I was hoping someone might be able to confirm...do cupcakes sink because the air trapped inside the batter expanded in the oven, and when they cool, they shrink? Is there anything that can be done to enhance the batter and prevent it from happening?
Pickles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you for sure, however there are many reasons that you will get cup cakes (or just cakes for that matter) that will sink slightly.

If your talking about cupcakes falling, ie, the tops of the cake caves in, then that is usually because of fluid content or not enough holding power of the cake. The cell walls that are created can't hold up to the weight of the cake and collapse.

On the other hand, if the cake falls just slightly and hasn't caved in then I would hazerd a guess its contracting of the air bubbles and so the walls of the air bubbles are no longer tight and relax a little.

I hope someone more in the know of cake baking will come along and answer your question more correctly. If not, I'll come back a little later after looking through a few books.
McDee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragged out my baking textbook since I took the class a year ago and retained very little of it.

They discuss 3 causes:

Weak internal structure
    Too much sugar or fat for the batter to support
    Not fully cooked

Fixes for the first two are: "Adjust formula". I'd have to assume you're using an established recipe, so if the next fix doesn't take care of it, I can do some more reading.

The fix for the last cause is "Test for doneness before removing from oven". I would assume that this is the most likely cause of your issue if you're following the directions exactly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum