Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Common Materials of Cookware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Reynolds

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Stainless steel - the best Reply with quote

I prefer stainless steel, because it is non reactive (I mean you can cook EVERYTHING in it) Ok, has a poor heat transfer, therefore one should invest in it once. But only once. It last for a lifetime if you buy a good one. You only need to get some nice wine glass and you will be fine
MarKoz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Warping/Type of Cooktop Reply with quote

I have been disappointed in the combination of "clad" cookware and my glass top stove.

I had purchased some Analon 5-ply SS/Al cookware as well as two Vollrath Tribute 3-ply fry pans. All the fry pans have warped notwithstanding that I use a grill surface thermometer to measure the temperature of the pans as they preheat. The 14" Vollrath (which is heavier gauge than the 12") held out the longest, and did not warp for about 2 years. The degree of warp is very slight, but on a glass top stove it is problematic.

Stainless steel with aluminium discs welded to the bottom have held out the best for me (so far). Wish I could go with gas, but that is not an option for me.
Keith Emms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: cookware Reply with quote

I have been cooking professionally and domestic for over 35 years.
I have been using Rena Ware for that time, and still do. I have never met anyone who can replicate food done in a partial vacuum, using alternative methods.
Let alone the health benefits. The cookware looks as it did new, and to admit any bias, I sold it door to door for 2 years. It's carbon steel encased in Stainless. Fast, even,.....and works perfectly on the new induction tops.
Uses very little heat, reproduces colour, taste, and nutrition in cooked vegetables and fruits. Eliminates a large percentage of shrinkage in meat.

I now have a large sous vide system from Freshfood Solutions for doing the meat and fish proteins,......but the vegetables,......I've been doing that sous vide for 35 years!!!
Cheersk
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterless cookware. . .
oh the health benefits - only to the financial health of the MLM organization.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/07/15/rena-ware-to-pay-600-000-for-making-false-health-claims/
Earlier this month, the Washington state-based company settled with the attorney general's office, agreeing to pay more than $600,000 in refunds and other fees as well as make changes to its business practices.

In its complaint, the attorney general said representatives for the company told consumers their competitors' cookware posed serious health risks. They told consumers that Rena Ware promoted good health and could cure diseases, claims that the AG says convinced consumers to allow sales reps into their homes.Consumers who agreed to buy the products were offered financing with interest rates as high as 21 percent, the complaint alleges. They also were't told they had a three-day period to cancel their order, which is guaranteed under California law for door-to-door sales.

http://dca.lacounty.gov/artRenaWareSettlement.htm
Rena Ware International, Inc., a company based in Redmond, Washington, agreed to pay more than $600,000 in fees and refunds to victims. Rena Ware must also have an independent overseer makes sure the company no longer uses false information or high-pressure sales tactics to lure customers.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/07/ca_cookware.html
California Attorney General Edmund G. Brown Jr. today announced a settlement with Washington state-based Rena Ware International, Inc., which "made fraudulent and unethical claims" that its high-priced cookware could cure diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. The company agreed to pay more than $600,000 in refunds and other fees.

If you want to complain against Rena Ware or any other business, contact DCA:
Address: 500 W. Temple St. Room B-96 Los Angeles, CA 90012.
Phone: (800) 593-8222 or (213) 974-1452.
Just Lost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellooooo all engineers!

Is there anyone here that can shed some light on Silvinox??

I want safe 18/10 or higher SS with nothing coming off into the food - either in the form of unhealthy non-sticks peeling off into our cooking OR any chemicals "leaching" into it. We gave up non-stick years ago after our parrot died & came to find out that those pans were the culprit...

Primarily I only want really SIMPLE cookware. I already use alot of carbon steel wok type things but I really want some gorgeous SS!! With copper core *only* no aluminum anything! I just hate aluminum! I know its great for conduction but for my cooking it doesn't help it ever and sometimes it actually hurts it! Mostly high heat Indian dishes so its LOTS of heavy duty spices and acids.

I'm pretty much focused in on Sitram Catering line bc its simple 18/10 SS with simple copper core. One Paella Pan from Mauviel (again copper & SS only)

BUT - here's where the twist comes in....

I am **IN LOVE** with a few pieces of straight-sided Atlantis from Demeyer - BUT - just not sure about that Silvinox stuff its treated with OR that TripleDuc 3 layer bottom on the Atlantis line. I don't like Aluminum so if thats in the 3layer bottom on Atlantis that might be a deal breaker; but I can't find any specs on WHAT that triple layer bottom IS exactly on the Atlantis line. Im gonna call them and find out - but in the end its that Silvinox & not understanding what it IS and IF its SAFE that freaks me out!!

well - that said - Silvinox is some sort of chemical treatment but I just can't find anything online that explains it in detail -OR- anyone out there talking about it on a safety level.

I've seen the ''process'' on youtube and i've read that its supposedly some sort of reverse-plating type thing that actually draws out some impurities and makes the SS harder and ''more pure'' - but STILL - what does that all add up to in high heat cooking? Is some sort of ''chemical'' there that can leach out??

I'm gonna ask them when I call about the bottoms all I can about this ''treatment'' - but still - I just wanted to run it by u guys here bc maybe there's someone out there with a Chemical background that knows something about it...

Thank you so much for ANY input u have on the subject!! I really appreciate it!

Abigail

[/i]
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lost -
the two common "grades" of stainless are 18/10 and 18/8 - that's chromium (highly toxic) to nickle (highly toxic)

so you'll need to reach a decision about the toxic scare tactics as they apply to alloys.
similar applies to aluminum. the health hazard from aluminum cookware was dis-proven by multiple agencies half a century ago; your mileage is obviously on the variance.

>>copper not aluminum!
you'll be pleased to learn that for a given thickness, copper conducts heat twice as "better" than aluminum.

Silvinox is a surface treatment of non-described detail. last I looked stainless steel was the answer to that marketing hyperbole maiden's prayer.

what does that do for high heat cooking? nothing.
Student

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, it helped a lot to me while writing my work for final exam. Added it as source, thank you very much Michael Chu, you are the biggest. Mariusz
JimD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Silvinox Reply with quote

Demeyere's process is proprietary, and nobody else seems to have figured it out yet. They use some combination of chemical solutions and "reverse" electroplating, which has the net effect of removing iron from the surface of the stainless steel, leaving behind a high-chromium layer. I suspect there's an annealing step as well, to consolidate the surface (i.e., remove the voids created by the removal of iron atoms.) The surface is probably treated to generate the chromium oxide layer that makes stainless steel stainless.

It's not a coating, and nothing is added to the surface. The stuff is expensive, but everything I've read says it's fantastically durable and easy to keep clean. I imagine one could eventually wear through the surface, given enough steel wool or scouring powder, but chromium is a very hard metal - the cookware should last pretty much forever given normal use and care.
deannel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Silvinox Reply with quote

Thanks for the post about Silvinox as I am interested in whether this is safe or not. So it is not a coating, but a process to remove iron, whereby there is less to react to food and the pan stays cleaner, shinier for longer. This process also increases the chromium in the pan. Is this safe? Is it the same type of chromium our bodies need, or is it different, possibly setting up health issues after regular use?
Wafflehouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Cast Iron Reply with quote

I think you're using the wrong properties for cast iron. Pure iron has a thermal conductivity of 80 W/m*K. To my knowledge, gray cast iron is used in cooking, pure Iron would be way too soft and would rust at the first hint of moisture. Getting a first coat of seasoning on would be a challenge. That should bring the numbers down to where it's comparable to carbon steel, at least thermally. They are still vastly different in other respects.
wycx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Properties for Corningware (9608 low expansion glass ceramic)

Thermal conductivity: 2.0-2.3 W/m/K (0-400 deg C)
Specific heat: 815 J/kg*K (25 deg C) 1197 J/kg*K (500 deg C)
Density: 2500 kg/m3
Thermal diffusivity: 0.77 to 1.07 * 10-6 m2/s

@book{bolz1973crc,
title={CRC Handbook of Tables for Applied Engineering Science},
author={Bolz, R.E.},
isbn={9780849302527},
lccn={73166251},
series={Crc Handbook Series},
url={https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Xn8KbsgeFrwC},
year={1973},
publisher={Taylor \& Francis}
}

@book{guyer1999handbook,
title={Handbook of Applied Thermal Design},
author={Guyer, E.C.},
isbn={9781560328117},
lccn={98052353},
url={https://books.google.com.au/books?id=xVL3uGWew1UC},
year={1999},
publisher={Taylor \& Francis}
}
nthung

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper is an excellent conductor of heat and also loses the heat easily. This helps the chefs to have more control over the contents inside the utensil.
Copper cookware is enough heavy to sit on the burner securely but is also enough light to be lifted easily.
It has unmatched beauty as the richness and quality of copper cookware appeals visually.
Longoria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Advise for pots Reply with quote

I have been offered a cookware set from Cookworld made out of 24 elements. which are consider to be healthy cooking. Do you think all these elements are put in one pot for healthier cooking? I need some advise, Please help me decide before I go buy these expensive pots.. The elements consist of: iron, sulfur, silicon, nickel, carbon, titanium, copper, vanadium, manganese, chromium, phospharous, Molybdenum these is for the body only and the base is compose of: copper, iron, magnesium, zinc, nickel, aluminum, tantalum, chronuym titanium, and calumbium. Can a pot be created made of all these elements?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Can a pot be created made of all these elements? "

actually, most are. metals contain traces to some to a lot of many many "elements"

the advertising is utter horse-droppings and you should go far far away from any company or brand with such "selling points"
Miah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Medical grade cookwarr Reply with quote

I was wondering have you heard of the cookware named food master? they claim that their medical grade material cookware are the safest and the most accurate cooking utensils and economical and durable. Compare to the rest of the cookware materials in the market?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: