Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fish oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timgower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: fish oil Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a repost, but I'm new here. My question: If polyunsaturated fat is liquid at room temperature (such as vegetable oil), why is fish fat solid?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: fish oil Reply with quote

timgower wrote:
Sorry if this is a repost, but I'm new here. My question: If polyunsaturated fat is liquid at room temperature (such as vegetable oil), why is fish fat solid?

The poly's in fish are about 35% of the total. Mono's are about the same % wise and the rest is made up of saturated fat. This is in regards to salmon, so it may vary somewhat.

I usually cook with duck fat if I'm frying which has a high percentage of mono fats, and actually starts to melt if I leave the fat on the counter when I'm cooking......

All animal protein will have a combination of all three fats in various combinations.
watt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guest, I think you mean all animal FATS will be a mixture, in fact, so will vegetable oils.

To answer the poster, fats/oils are made up from a backbone of glycerol (3 carbon atoms, 3 OH groups, rest hydrogen). Onto each original OH group is chemically attached a fatty acid (FA), which comprises a carboxylic acid group (originally) and a long chain of carbon atoms, surrounded by hydrogen atoms, except when the FA is unsaturated when two adjacent carbon atoms are linked with a double bond, with the reduction of 2 hydrogens. So in one fat/oil molecule (usually refered to as a tri glyceride) there are three FA moieties, these can vary in the number of carbon atoms, from about 6 up to 24 is usual. The longer the FA chain, the higher the melting point (and the double bonds have different melting points to single, saturated FA). It is common to have the chain lengths different in each molecule, but we usually quote a total, and therefore average figure.
Each fat/oil has a well characterised FA profile, fats have longer chain lengths and oils shorter, though the degree of saturation (double bonds) will complicate matters a little. So it is the total of all the FA which determines whether the fat is solid and the oil liquid, not the degree of saturation, though, in general, everything else being equal, saturated fats will have a higher melting point (see margarine).
HTH
watt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum