Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Italian Meringue?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdmNaismith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Italian Meringue? Reply with quote

I am looking for the recipie to a dessert I had in a northern Italian restaraunt. It was made of 2 or three different merigues (all plain, just different textures) and was light and a little custardy and divine. Anyone know wat I ate?
Taamar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Meringue? Reply with quote

AdmNaismith wrote:
I am looking for the recipie to a dessert I had in a northern Italian restaraunt. It was made of 2 or three different merigues (all plain, just different textures) and was light and a little custardy and divine. Anyone know wat I ate?

I have no idea about your dessert, but there are three possible ways of making meringue:

Common (French) meringue is egg whites at room temp beaten with sugar

Swiss meringue is egg whites and sugar heated over a water bath to about 110F then beaten.

Italian meringue is egg whites beaten while boiling sugar syrup is poured in. It's the least fluffy but most stable meringue.
AdmNaismith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think I finally tracked it down. 'Floating Islands' has chunks of baked meringues in a creme anglaise. If that isn't it, it is the closes to describing what I ate.
Joan Wade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdmNaismith wrote:
Actually, I think I finally tracked it down.
'Floating Islands' has chunks of baked meringues in a creme anglaise. If that isn't it, it is the closes to describing what I ate.

I think you are right in the floating island desciption, but in France it is known as Oeufs a la Neige [snow eggs] and in Italian Ile Flottante [floating islands] In any case, the meringues float on the creme anglaise.

The recipe is easy to find in cookbooks. joan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum