Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"non-stick bakeware" and Teflon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: "non-stick bakeware" and Teflon Reply with quote

I recently received a cookie sheet (or pan) as a gift. I could use one, but I do not want to use anything with Teflon in it (not safe).

The cookie sheet made no mention of the materials used to make it, so I'm skeptical. The wrapping just says "premium non-stick bakeware".

My question is: do all non-stick cooking items contain Teflon? Can a non-stick surface be made without it?

The brand is: Baker's Secret Professional Non-Stick Bakeware

Thank you,

Jim
SirSpice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it covered in Teflon? Probably yes.

Nonstick surfaces can also be created by anodizing the metal, but companies that go through this process usually etch it all over their product.

I use teflon all the time, and personally I think its safe unless you scratch it into your food or get it too hot (which you won't in a baking pan).
cookster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: non-stick bakeware and Teflon Reply with quote

Thank you, SirSpice for answering my questions.

Could you give this newbie an explanation of how I'd use parchment if I wanted to not use non-stick materials? Is parchment (reminds me of paper) a sheet of paper that you place over a baking sheet/pan like aluminum foil? If so, is it cost effective to use for baking? Is it available at the super market?All my life I've seen foil used, or else a pan or mould would be greased with butter before being used for baking.

Thanks again for your gracious help,

Jim
SirSpice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: non-stick bakeware and Teflon Reply with quote

cookster wrote:
Could you give this newbie an explanation of how I'd use parchment if I wanted to not use non-stick materials?

Just trim the parchment to fit the bottom of your baking pan. You can Smear a bit of water, butter or margarine (or dough) near the corners of the pan, and stick the parchment over it so it won't move.

cookster wrote:
Is parchment (reminds me of paper) a sheet of paper that you place over a baking sheet/pan like aluminum foil?

Yep, the difference is that you can mold the aluminum foil to the sides of the pan, but with parchment you'll need to know origami to really make it fit on the sides.

One thing to watch out for, make sure its parchment (silicon soaked paper that can stand almost 500 degrees) and not wax paper (wax soaked paper which will burn like a candle and taste like playdo).

cookster wrote:
If so, is it cost effective to use for baking? Is it available at the super market?

It's available anywhere, its affordable, and it has other uses. If you do a TON of baking you can go to a restaurunt supply store and get them in bulk.

cookster wrote:
All my life I've seen foil used, or else a pan or mould would be greased with butter before being used for baking.

It depends what you make, but in general parchment paper is non-stick.

Personally I would just go out and buy a Silpat.

It's a plyable sheet of silicon thats molded on a plastic net which makes it flexible, reusable, easy to clean, and creates a buffer between the sheet pan and the pastry. It works better than parchment and it will last for 2000-3000 bakings. Its what many proffesional bakeries use and its available in most home kitchen stores (Bed, Bath and Beyond).
cookster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: options instead of parchment or non-stick Reply with quote

SirSpice,

Wow, in a matter of three posts what had been mystifying for me for a long time with regard to baking methods has been cleared up and explained. I may go with Silpat at once and not try parchment first, per your suggestion! Not sure yet! May try both! At least I feel more confident now about what each method involves. Thank you taking time out to help, SirSpice...Much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Jim
SirSpice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum