Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cream pies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natifer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: cream pies Reply with quote

Everytime I make coconut cream pie or chocolate cream pie with a meringue topping I have a syrupy liquid in the bottom of the pie plate. I thought that maybe it was the meringue weeping, but I don't have problems with syrup on the top of the merigue. As soon as pull out the first piece of pie the hole left fills with a clear syrup. I live in Turkey and the sugar here is a little coarser, but I don't know if that is the problem or not. I am pricking my pie crust and baking it, filling it with hot pie filling, then topping with meringue and baking. Can anyone give me any tips on how to avoid the syrup. Even after the pie has cooled it still does it. After refrigeration it isn't as bad. My mom and grandmother never refrigerated their pies after baking...just let them cool and cut them. Later before they went to bed at night they would stick the leftovers in the refrigerator. Any ideas?
Pickles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know, I would hazard a guess that the cream is being over beaten cause the cream to separate just a little.

Try beating the cream just a little less and see if that helps
Taamar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's only happening when you use meringue, you need to make a more stable meringue (your coarse sugar may well be the culprit). I can't search the recipe right now (at work) but google 'Meringue corn starch' for one that has cooked cornstarch paste folded in. If that doesn't work, try an italian meringue made by whipping hot sugar syrup into the whites (again, you'll have to google it yourself).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that same problem and googled it. Martha Stewart's site recommended gently heating the meringue just a bit as you made it - like over a hot water bath. It was supposed to stabilize it more. I think the corn starch idea may work as well, but I didn't like the idea of corn starch in my meringue.

I tried it and it worked for me. Just get the egg whites slightly warm, not warm enough to cook them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum