Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a camel run faster than a horse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Useless Stuff Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Can a camel run faster than a horse? Reply with quote

Article Digest:
Yes and no. Most camels can outrun most horses, but the fastest racehorse would probably outrun the fastest camel (it would be a close race). However, camels can carry more weight and can move at average speeds of about 12 kilometer per hour for as much as 18 hours. A fast, unladen camel can attain speeds of over 60 kilometers per hour (while fast racehorses can peak at about 65 kilometers per hour). On sand, however, the camel will beat the horse in a race.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think camels have more advantages than horses anyway. Camels can travel many days without food or water. When riding a horse for more than half a day, you always have to be aware of water sources. And even more, I read once that camels seem smarter than horses about getting themselves out of a precarious situation. If a horse gets tangled up in a rope, it may struggle violently and get rope burns (or worse). A tangled up camel will, after briefly testing the bonds, sit quietly and figure out what to do next. Wink
Ada
stuart31em

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This race needs to be set up!
DominicMason

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think camels have more advantages than horses anyway. Camels can travel many days without food or water. When riding a horse for more than half a day, you always have to be aware of water sources. And even more, I read once that camels seem smarter than horses about getting themselves out of a precarious situation. If a horse gets tangled up in a rope, it may struggle violently and get rope ...
IronRinger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that a camel was a horse that was designed by a committee.
jamesbarclay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most camels can outrun most horses, but the fastest racehorse would probably outrun the fastest camel (it would be a close race). However, camels can carry more weight and can move at average speeds of about 12 kilometer per hour for as much as 18 hours. A fast, unladen camel can attain speeds of over 60 kilometers per hour (while fast racehorses can peak at about 65 kilometers per hour). On sand, however, the camel will beat the horse in a race.
akashtab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Average speed of camel is greater then horse if going with heavy load.
mspenser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the horse would win in a short race, the camel in a distance one.
TommyP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Speed vs. endurance Reply with quote Delete this post

So then, how much horsepower does a camel put out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Useless Stuff Comments Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: