Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homemade Charcoal/Sriracha Chicken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BchrisL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Homemade Charcoal/Sriracha Chicken Reply with quote

I get the feeling that most of you guys are west coast folks. If that is so, your winters are different from mine here in the east. The winters here in the WASHINGTON DC area are damp and cold, so a good fire is necessary sometimes to chase away the chill.

I have been running the wood stove at nights to chase off the cold in the basement where I have my TV viewing area. I got the idea to make some charcoal in the wood stove rather than slow it down to hold the fire over night. I rev up the wood stove and let the stove get it get to a good 700 degrees. This is the point where the wood breaks down into it hydrogen and carbon components. The hydrogen boils off and is consumed in the catalytic converter of my stove, and the carbon stays down in the firebox and slowly burns and produces carbon dioxide. It is at this point I shut off the oxygen supply for the night. The fire slowly dies but what is left is some of the most beautiful lump charcoal that one could hope for.

Tonight I used some of the charcoal I made for the very first time to cook some Buffalo wings and chicken legs for my adult children who have been working all day.

I brined the chicken legs and wings for about an hour with a brine made of 1/4 cup salt and 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 gallon of water. I am a firm believer of zip lock bags for containing things like chicken. I placed the chicken and the brine in the bags and let them go for an hour. I then drained out the brine and then put in enough olive oil to coat the chicken well. I then added some of Lee Kum Kee's SPIRACHA CHILI SAUCE and let the chicken soak in this mixture for about an hour.

I place the chicken in my BIG GREEN EGG, which was now burning my freshly made lump charcoal with a sprinkle of soaked hickory chips at the last moment that was running at 300 F. I let the chicken cook directly over the coals for 30 minutes. I then basted the chicken with the remainder of the olive oil/Spiracha sauce and turned it over, and closed the egg.

I removed the chicken from the egg around 30 minutes later, one hour total at 300 F. It was moist and tender. I basted it one final time with the olive oil/SPIRACHA sauce. A real treat and mostly I made it from my own fuel, rather than buying lump charcoal, very satisfying.

This can be adapted for your own charcoal cooker, just keep the temperature down to a MODERATE OVEN level, and put in water soaked wood chips of your choice just before you place the chicken in

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum