Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Recipe File: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie Reply with quote

Article Digest:
Perhaps there's no comfort food as comforting as a nice hot chicken pot pie. It's also a breeze to make. Chicken Pot Pie is comprised of three recipes: the toppping or crust (Pie Crust or Biscuits), Creamed Chicken, and additional vegetables.

Since the topping can be anything fluffy or flaky (I like a basic rolled biscuit top), I won't cover this recipe here.

Let start with the creamed chicken. We'll need two cups chicken broth, 4 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1-1/2 cup whole milk, 2 tablespoons sherry, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, lemon juice and white pepper.
[IMG]

Cube (or shred) previously cooked chicken into bite size pieces and place on side.
[IMG]

Melt butter in sauce pan or saucier over low heat. Pour flour in and whisk.
[IMG]

After one minute, remove from heat and add 2 cups chicken broth.
[IMG]

Whisk until smooth.
[IMG]

Add milk and whisk over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and scrape the sides of the saucepan with a heat-proof spatula. Whisk vigorously to break and chunks and return to medium heat for one more minute.
[IMG]

Turn off heat and mix in chicken & sherry until evenly distributed. Add lemon juice, nutmeg, salt and white pepper to taste.
[IMG]

Now that we have creamed chicken, prepare the ingredients for chicken pot pie: 2 tablespoons butter, 1 chopped medium onion, 1-1/2 cup chopped carrots, 1/4 cup chopped celery, 3/4 cup peas, 3 Tbs. minced fresh parsley. Peas and carrots can be be the frozen kind. Thaw in water and drain.
[IMG]

Melt butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat.
[IMG]

When butter is foaming, add onions, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, about five minutes.
[IMG]

Stir vegetables (including parley and peas) into creamed chicken and pour mixture into baking pan.
[IMG]

Now top with either pie crust or biscuit dough. I usually use biscuit dough because I like the fluffy texture.

After making biscuit dough, cut and layout all the biscuit pieces to cover the pot pie.
[IMG]

Using a pastry brush, brush beaten egg over the surface of the pot pie crust to give it a brown color after baking.
[IMG]

After baking for 25 to 35 minutes at 400°F, the crust should be golden brown and the chicken mixture should be bubbling. Your pot pie is now complete and ready to serve.

[IMG]

Chicken Pot Pie
Creamed Chicken
4 Tbs. buttermeltcombine over low heatcombinebring to simmerScrape sidescook one minutemix inseason to taste
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1-1/2 cups whole milk
3 chicken breast halves, cookedcube
2 Tbs. sherry
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
lemon juice
white pepper
salt

Chicken Pot Pie
2 Tbs. buttermeltsautemixpour into 9x13 panlay on topbake at 400°F for 25 min.
1 medium onion, chopped
1-1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/4 cup celery
3/4 cup peas
3 Tbs. parsley, minced
2-1/2 quarts creamed chicken
2 cups crust dough
Copyright Michael Chu 2004
Eric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that making biscuit dough is that hard (I liked the recipe here) a quick and easy substitution is filo dough from the freezer section. Cut it before you bake the dish, it'll be easier to serve.
an anonymous reader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop eating the bird, f*****
an anonymous reader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, i'm going to go get some more meat now just because you said that.
an anonymous reader

mmm.. much better than Ramen.
an anonymous reader

nice recipe notation, you're one smart "cookie" Big smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this one tonight. It worked very well, expect at the stage of combining flour with the melted butter. My flour hit the butter and absorbed it, turning into a yellow mush that wasn't even remotely whiskable. I quickly added the broth to smooth it out, but obviously I missed something at that stage.

BTW, think this could be modified into a homey cream of chicken soup? Maybe with some more milk or broth?

- kitcat
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flour does clump when you throw it onto the butter. Use the whisk to break up the ball of flour that forms and kind of use it to work the butter evenly into the flour. It'll become sort a paste shortly. Don't worry about that step too much.

To make a creamed chicken (for serving over noodles or rice), simply use 1/3 cup flour instead of 1/2 cup.

To make a cream of chicken soup, I would just add more milk. Probably another 1-1/2 cup to 2-1/2 cup depending on preference.
an anonymous reader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Recipe is the pits... Period. *gag*
an anonymous reader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is a great recipe. Most recipes for chicken pot pie produce unflavorful gravy, but this one is good. I used a puff pastry crust, and made individual pies. Also, I added 2 4.5 oz. jars of whole mushrooms (drained).
an anonymous reader

Best pot pie recipe that I've found.
Summer

I love making pot pies in individual ramekins. (In fact, I like making everything in individual ramekins. And pot pies especially.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this last night. Great recipe, and exceedingly thorough instructions, as usual (says the hyper-analytical lawyer).

Next time, I will back off the nutmeg a bit and add a bit of garlic when I saute the vegetables. Otherwise very satisfactory. Perfect consistency on the cream sauce.
Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: can't print via printer friendly Reply with quote

Love your recipes!! Can you please check the page? Can't seem to get icon that allows me to print. Thank-you
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: can't print via printer friendly Reply with quote

Lisa wrote:
Love your recipes!! Can you please check the page? Can't seem to get icon that allows me to print. Thank-you

The printer friendly option on the new interface has not been implemented yet. Even though it's not available, you should still be able to print the page (with Internet Explorer, you may need to shrink the page or print in landscape).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: