Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Osso Buco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francesca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: osso buco Reply with quote

Hi Michael, I just came across your website and I love the way you have every thing spelled out for those of us who have never made osso buco.
I am having a dinner party for 8, I'm making osso for the very first time...Am I out of my mind????? First of all, what-ever posessed me to promise my guests this very expensive cut of meat I will never know....$16.95 per pound. Too late to revise the menu my guest are expecting it....How much veal should I buy? and since I'm cooking for 8 can the veal be put in one pot? Is it a problem if the veal is crowded?
I'm also making risotto alla Milanese. I'm crazy! But I plan on serving lots and lots of wine before dinner, so if I mess this up no one will notice...
Help![/list]
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: osso buco Reply with quote

Francesca wrote:
First of all, what-ever posessed me to promise my guests this very expensive cut of meat I will never know....$16.95 per pound. Too late to revise the menu my guest are expecting it....How much veal should I buy? and since I'm cooking for 8 can the veal be put in one pot? Is it a problem if the veal is crowded?

$17 a pound... that's a lot more than I remember buying my shanks for. As long as the shanks fit on a single layer, it should be okay. If not, you'll probably need to use two pots.
Dee_S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Crockpot or Slowcooker? Reply with quote

Looks like an ideal slowcooker recipe, 6-8 hours is the approximate timing. Anyone tried this with good results?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could indeed be adapted to a slow cooker - two things come to mind

first browning the meat - that would not happen in a slow cooker - but you could do it separately

second the braising needs a single layer - you can't just pile the pot full of shanks - two will fit in "the average" slow cooker easily (just a size thing) - larger quantities could be problematic....
Dee_S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked out great in the slow cooker. Mine is quite wide so was able to do 3 shanks. Thanks for the tip about browning them first, quite delicious *yum*
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah! glad it went well - a slow cooker seems quite up to the task of "long and low" which is certainly a big part of "yummy shanks"
Jayneee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: ossobuco Reply with quote

I'm planning on making ossobuco for the first time for a dinner party for eight. I've ordered 8 veal shanks @ $10.99 per lb. I'm thinking about serving them with polenta instead of risotto. I plan on starting the meal with an escarole salad with fava beans. Any suggestions on a vegetable side dish?....maybe sauteed mushrooms? mmmmmmmmmmmm Wink
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: ossobuco Reply with quote

Jayneee wrote:
Any suggestions on a vegetable side dish?

I always like brussels sprouts.
Jayneee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: ossobuco Reply with quote

funny, I was thinking of brussel sprouts but decided I had enough green with the salad and also serving a fennel salad as part of appetizers. I think I'm going to stick with mushrooms (nice and easy). Now I"m trying to come up with a dessert thats not too heavy.
DinnerPartyAddict

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Sides for OssoBuco Reply with quote

I have found that it is a beautiful presentation to serve each shank in a bed of potato puree or well-mashed potatoes, with a side of roasted winter veggies. Keep in mind how hearty the veal will be and only make small portions of the winter vegetables, especially if you want to serve a first course and/or salad. Otherwise, you'll have a lot left over on each guest's plate, which would be a shame!!!
neeki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: double layer of meat Reply with quote

hi michael, i prepared this recipe last night along with your tiramisu for ten people. since i was cooking in their kitchen, i wasn't familiar with their equipment, and only one large pot of theirs was oven-worthy, so i stacked the osso buco in two layers. i think the sauce was a bit less rich than what you'd get from one layer, and it took quite a long time to reduce, but it tasted superb. and the sauce goes really well with some lightly toasted bruschetta. also, i used beef osso buco, and braised it for about fifteen minutes longer at 185 degrees c. thanks for the great recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the traditional white wine, but I've come to prefer using a lighter red wine, without chicken stock. It gives a rich, mahogany-colored sauce. I'm using maybe 2 cups wine with four shanks. I select a pot that doesn't leave a lot of room around the shanks, so I can use less liquid and get a more concentrated sauce. I cut the the vegetables larger and use more of them, especially carrots. I also braise on the stovetop, but I have to watch the heat so it doesn't scorch. Braising time is reduced to about 1 hour 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooking this tonight for dinner 2 Veal shanks cost me $33.00 Canadian so hope it turns out well. Troy, Calgary Alberta Smile
veralenn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: fool proof Reply with quote

made ossobuco for the first time ever yesterday with your recipe. it was excellent. my guests said that this should be my signature dish. followed the recipe exactly except that i always double the amount of garlic that any recipe calls for. made your orzo risotto minus the shrimp to serve with the ossobuco and they paired together very well. i come from the stereotypical chinese family. 90% of my family including extended family are either engineers or doctors. i am in the 10% much to my parent's dissapointment. thank you so much for your site! it is the most "fool proof" recipe site i've come across thus far. going to try your standing rib roast next!
ELibby

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: home shank sawing Reply with quote

"I still wonder about home shank-sawing. " All you really need is a small hacksaw. There was always one hanging on a nail behind the fridge when I was growing up. My mom used it for ham steaks from the whole ham, and my Dad would put in a new blade whenever needed, (two wingnuts, easy) Best of success!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: