Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a new Stand Mixer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FOS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Looking for a new Stand Mixer Reply with quote

Greetings one and all!

I've recently found myself in the position of needing a new stand mixer, so I've been dutifully checking around local stores and on the net for brands and prices and reviews and so forth. However, some of the information seems a little contradictory, so I was hoping I might impose upon the knowledgable folk here for the final word (or at least a more trusted word) on the subject.

What I'm looking for is a powerful mixer for home use. I plan to use it a lot for various recipes and experiments, so versatility is a definite must. Noise isn't a big concern, though quieter is always nice. Wink The price point I'm looking at is somewhere between US $300 - $400, though I certainly won't complain about something cheaper as long as it does what I need it to do.

Here's what I've found so far:

The DeLonghi DSM7. This has recieved many good reviews and is considered very reliable. It has a 7qt bowl, 980 Watt motor (with a 10 year warranty, no less Shock ), and according to the specs, it can mix a maximum of:
  • 2lbs Pastry Dough
  • 3lbs 5oz Yeast Dough
  • 10lbs Cake Mix
  • 16 eggs
The lowest price I've seen for it is about $360 online (including S&H). I haven't seen it at any local stores.

The KitchenAid 600 has generally recieved good reviews, too, but I've read that the company was bought by WhirlPool (I haven't attempted to verify that, yet), and that since the acquisition, their newer products may not be as reliable as their older bretheren. Then again, Alton Brown (god, I love his show) has the one with the custom paint job, and they're also featured on Iron Chef: America, so either money was exchanged in the wrong direction, or my worries are overblown. It has a 6qt bowl, and the motor is 575 Watts, but I'm not sure what to make of their "Flour Power" rating system. Huh? It says the 600 is good for up to 14 cups, which is a little over 4lbs of flour, but what type of mix are we talking about? How do I compare this with the DeLonghi or other mixers? The price is about $370 at all the local stores, which seems to be about as cheap as it gets.

From what I've read, Hamilton Beach isn't always reliable, and apparently one should avoid the Viking, so I've not bothered checking into either brand further. Sunbeam's mixers are the double-beater style, and you have to rotate the bowl if you want even mixing. I want both hands free for other tasks as much as possible, so manual bowl turning is right out, though I might consider ones that rotate automatically (assuming there is such a beast) if they fit all my other criteria. I'm not familiar with the Bosch/K-Tech style. Those don't look like they would do as good a job as the planetary mixing style, but maybe I'm wrong. I certainly haven't seen enough reviews of either to make a decision. I've also looked into Electrolux, but it appears that even their low end model (variously called the Assistant; DLX; DX 2000; DX200; and possibly others) is at least $100 over my price range, though reviews indicate it is quite possibly the best mixer out there barring equipment for commercial kitchens.

And what about brands or models I haven't mentioned? Have I overlooked the perfect mixer? Are there other factors I'm not taking into account?

It should go without saying (but of course it never does) that any help the kind folk who read these forums can provide would be greatly appreciated. Smile
McDee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a new Stand Mixer Reply with quote

FOS wrote:
apparently one should avoid the Viking,

Why is that? I hadn't really looked at one until today. Didn't have an opportunity to fire it up, but the weight and construction seemed fairly comparable to the KitchenAid my grandmother left to my mother and still works like a champ. It didn't have the connection for the meat grinder, pasta roller, et al that the KA does, but I didn't see a lot of difference otherwise.

On the other hand, we use the Kitchen Aid (6 quart to 80 quart models) at school and I have no complaints about them at all. With the abuse they take from culinary students and the amount of work they get, I'd be buying one if my apartment weren't so small.
Jörg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kitchenaid 600 series and love it. But truthfully, the way I use it isn't really stressing it much.

Yes, Kitchenaid is owned by Whirlpool. The brand was purchased in 1985 or so (they started producing products under the name in 86). I don't have any knowledge about whether it's affected their quality. To be honest, I doubt it. I think they've pretty much made Kitchenaid their flagship brand. You don't buy Whirlpool if you want top of the line appliances. You buy Kitchenaid. (Ahem, $6000.00 stoves.)

One thing, the bowl-lift design is actually kind of annoying. A flip-head would be a lot more convenient. It's not a huge problem, but it's worth mentioning.
FOS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I continue to research, I think something that may be important is how the motor transfers power to the beater. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find out much about these methods other than direct drive is better and to make sure the mixer uses all metal gears. I think the KA 600 has both, but I don't know about the DeLonghi. If the DeLonghi doesn't use a direct drive, then that might explain why it requires more wattage than the KA. Or it may be the DeLonghi really is a more powerful mixer. Does anyone have more information on the subject or can point me to someplace that does?

McDee wrote:

FOS wrote:
apparently one should avoid the Viking,

Why is that? I hadn't really looked at one until today.

It seems that as long as it works, the people using it are satisfied, but there are some who've claimed that it starts bogging down under heavier loads and that the motor may even give out. I should note that I tend to ignore (or at least marginalize) 1 and 5 star reviews since it's too easy to use those for boosting/lowering a product's overall rating, especially with short reviews. Every product has its flaws and it's merits. For the same reason, I do the same for reviews that have been copied to other places (though I haven't found any for this product). If you're interested, here's where I've found reviews so far:
http://www.epinions.com/Viking_VSM700_Mixer/display_~reviews
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00015BHJW/104-5804296-2060725?v=glance&n=284507
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=304982&ar=1#reviews

If you know of someplace better to look, I'm all eyes. Smile The Viking may be a perfectly fine product, but I get very worried when people say it can't handle heavier loads. Considering how I plan to use my mixer, this is a crucial point to look at.

Jörg wrote:
One thing, the bowl-lift design is actually kind of annoying. A flip-head would be a lot more convenient. It's not a huge problem, but it's worth mentioning.

I've read that in a few other reviews, too. It may be a matter of personal preference, or it may be a matter of how much you use it. I honestly don't know since I've never used anything other than a tilt-head. What specifically annoys you about the bowl-lift design? My concern is, from pictures and product displays, it looks like the beater has to be removed before the bowl can come off. Obviously that also means the bowl has to go on before the beater can be attached. I'm very likely to be using my mixer at least once a day, if not more, so I'd prefer that attaching and removing the bowl and beater should be as simple and hassle free as possible. I think the KA would be okay in this regard, but I'm making assumptions on its ease of use.
Jörg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you don't technically have to remove the bowl to get it off while a beater's attached, but you'll have to tilt it pretty far (almost completely on it's side). Safe to say, you'll generally be removing the beater before you remove the bowl.

That's definitely one of my complaints about the bowl-lift. My other is that since the bowl only moves 2-3 inches, it's also a bit of a hassle just to attach the beater when the bowl is on. You'll have to turn the beater on it's side and slide it through. If you've got a bunch of stuff in the bowl, you'll have to push the beater into the stuff to get it upright. To put it another way, if you've got a bunch of stuff in the bowl, and you lower the bowl, there's a good chance your beater is still going to be partly buried in the stuff you're mixing. It's not a show-stopper, but it's definitely annoying.
ktexp2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my mom's KitchenAid, but my Sunbeam is pretty awesome too.

The KitchenAid is a lot more versatile. You can get attachments for all kinds of things! A flour sifter, pasta maker, they have a whole catalog of that stuff. Everything it makes comes out excellent. She has the one where the top can be lifted. The one where you raise and lower the bowl is just annoying.

My Sunbeam isn't bad either, though. Its cheaper, but it still has decent capabilities. On mine, the bowl rotates on its own. It has a "three-way" motor, so the beaters turn opposite directions and the bowl turns so it beats evenly. I've made cakes, cookies, mereingues, and doughs all too perfection. It also has about 15 different speeds, although I can't say I've found it necessary to use them all! Its a little lighter than the KitchenAid, but it doesn't have the same brick-pizzeria build. Its got some plastic.

As for Viking, they make excellent sewing machines and chainsaws, I had no idea they made mixers too! Crazy.
jillande

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll second (or third or fourth ...) the notion that the lift bowl is annoying. it is what i wanted until i used one for the first time. then i decided a tilt-head is better. yes, it's a matter of personal preference, and i'm not sure if they come in as powerful of versions or not, but i found the lift model too annoying to put up with.
Jörg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortnately, if you want top of the line from Kitchenaid, you're going to get the bowl lift. Getting the flip top results in a serious step down in power.
AdmNaismith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a refurbished Kitchenaid mixer for about half of retail (a 500 model w/ 475 watt motor).

I burned out a hand mixer making 2 batches of marshmallow form the recipie found on this site.

Question is- what should I make to inagurate a new mixer that would make the most use of a 475 watt motor?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to update everyone on what I've decided.

Though I'm not keen on the bowl-lift design, and I believe the DeLonghi DSM7 would be a more powerful mixer, not to mention the thing has serious style (can't you just hear the Imperial March Cool), I am never the less purchasing a KA 600. The reason is, while there are some online stores that sell the DeLonghi within my desired price range, I can't find one I would consider reputable. This is very saddening for me since I was looking forward to seeing this beast crouching upon my counter top.

For anyone else who may be interested, Consumer Search gives a brief overview and synopsis of the results from various reviews, most notably Cook's Illustrated and Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, I'm not a subscriber to either magazine ATM, so I don't have access to the detailed reviews.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Smile
Taamar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobart, maker of commercial mixers, makes a counter-top version that is fantastic.
foodscigeek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be the only one who likes the lift bowl better than the tilt head. I used to have both in my lab, and I only ever used the one with the lift bowl. Once you get the hang of getting the bowl and attachements on, it's no big deal. I liked that it had a bigger capacity and was more powerful. I found it created less dust when mixing dry ingredients (my main use at the time) and that the bowl locked into place more firmly.
Jörg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like you like the bowl-lift design so much as you like the higher quality of the top-end models. I'd definitely rather have the top-end model, but I wish it came with a flip head.
Taamar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at inventory/repair records for the school mixers and found that the flip-head mixers needed repairs more often then the bowl-lift (only on that part of the machine), so keep in mind how easy you are on equipment when choosing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Cooks Illustrated Mixer Review Reply with quote

Just thought you all might enjoy Cooks Illustrateds' Review

Mix Masters -- Standing Mixers

KitchenAid has dominated the standing-mixer market for decades, but can it cream a new batch of competitors with 1,000-watt motors, cavernous bowls, and lofty price tags?

This updates a previous article from the May, 1996 issue. For related information, see Hand-held Mixers and English Cake Mixer.

For dedicated home bakers, choosing a standing mixer used to be a piece of cake. You strolled down the KitchenAid aisle; you selected a size. The competition? Mostly glorified eggbeaters mounted on stands--fine for whipping cream and stirring cake batter but pretty much useless for heavier tasks involving cookie dough or bread.

Recently, though, numerous high-end models have whirred onto the scene to give KitchenAid a run for its money. Most have raised the stakes with huge bowl sizes and seriously ramped-up wattage. While KitchenAid's largest mixer is 6 quarts (most are 5), now 7 quarts and larger aren't uncommon. KitchenAid's basic model runs on a 250-watt motor; the new models tout ratings of 700, 800, even 1,000 watts! Naturally, prices have soared. Hobart--a maker of industrial-grade mixers--has rolled out a new 5-quart consumer model priced at a cool $1,500 and change.

How much mixer does a home cook need? To test the field thoroughly, we bought 18 different mixers of every shape, size, and price--from a budget $100 model up to the $1,500 Hobart. Our lineup included Bosch (two models), DeLonghi (two), Electrolux, Farberware, Hamilton Beach (two), Hobart, Jenn-Air, KitchenAid (four), Sunbeam (two), and Viking (two).

A Baker's Dozen
Standing mixers should be able to beat egg whites, whip cream, incorporate butter and sugar ("creaming"), mix stiff cookie dough, and knead basic bread dough. I started with a test that would quickly thin the ranks: 15 minutes of medium-duty kneading on a rustic bread dough. (If all you need a mixer to do is beat egg whites and stir cake mix, you're better off spending $70 on a good hand-held mixer instead.) Any mixer that couldn't finish the job was out of the running. Hacking, screeching, shuddering, even pausing--all fine, so long as the resulting dough was acceptable and the mixer survived.

First up was the Jenn-Air Attrezzi, a smart, stylish number that huffed and puffed its way through the first few minutes of kneading, then hacked flour out of its sleekly contoured etched-glass bowl. As smoke wafted from the motor, I reconfirmed the fire extinguisher's proximity but resisted pulling the plug. After 3:50, the motor stalled and never started again. Next, the diminutive KitchenAid Classic wheezed and trembled through the exercise, but 15 minutes later both mixer and dough were fine. The $1,500 Hobart whirred calmly from start to finish. And so it went--for 18 rounds.

All in all, these mixers were truly a noisy, convulsive lot. But only six failed outright, either stalling out irreversibly or leaving portions of dough unincorporated: Bosch Solitaire ($899.99; the cheaper Universal model survived), Farberware ($99.99), Hamilton Beach 5-Quart ($349.95; the 7-quart survived), Jenn-Air ($349.00), and both Sunbeams ($98.95, $129.99). Just 12 mixers, then, would advance to the remaining rounds.

Design Matters
For the next several weeks, the triumphant dozen tried their luck in a variety of mixer challenges: kneading pizza dough, mixing cookie dough, whipping cream, and beating egg whites. In the end, we developed clear mixer-design criteria.

First, there's mixing motion. The two most common are stationary beaters (with rotating bowl) and "planetary action," when a single beater rotates on its axis while spinning around a stationary bowl (similar to the way a planet moves around the sun). Planetary action proved far superior--the agitator simply makes it to more areas of the bowl. Three stationary models (Farberware, both Sunbeams) choked on dough in the elimination round: Either the bowl stopped moving or the beaters got too clogged to rotate.

Another stationary-style mixer, albeit a more unusual design, the Electrolux DLX-2000 ($469.95) has a rotating bowl and all its inherent problems (ingredients get clogged on the agitator while the bowl spins ineffectually). One mixer opted for another approach entirely. Shaped like a food processor, the Bosch Universal ($369.99) has an agitator that rotates on a spindle. The Bosch wasn't
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum