Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Clarified Butter II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Making Ghee/Clarified Butter Reply with quote

I do my ghee with about 2 lb of butter at a time. I use salted butter because it's usually a little cheaper and I haven't noticed any end-result differences between salted and unsalted (other than the solids that retain all the salt).

At low heat, melt butter in a pan that's a few inches higher than the melted butter.

Continue heating at low heat until it starts to bubble, just a bit. Keep the heat pretty low so it stays at that slow bubble. Gently stir from time to time to encourage some of the water in the foam to evaporate off.

If you're making ghee, heat until the solids on the bottom begin to turn a golden brown. If just clarified butter, just until you think you've driven off enough moisture.

With a fine-mesh skimmer, pull off the floating solids that remain. Discard those solids, or use them as you wish.

Set up a jelly strainer over the container that will hold your clarified butter/Ghee, then gently pour the melted butter through the jelly strainer cloth. You will end up with nearly perfectly clarified butterfat, and very little loss. If you try to strain it without first skimming, the jelly-cloth will blind and it will take hours to filter.
Chef719

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Clarified butter 2 Reply with quote

There are several things wrong with you steps. First to making it to difficult and to many items. All you need it unsalted butter sauce pan and spoon. Because the more you transfer the melted butter the more chance of it mixing back or other contimations
nobodyspecial

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote Delete this post

Almost 15 years. Doing things the engineering way really makes them outlast the test of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: