Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Baguettes Deconstructed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark P

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Steam baking baguettes Reply with quote

My method for better or worse:
Use an aluminum roasting pan, the disposable kind. Cut a small hole in one side near the top to face out towards your oven door. Place baguettes on baking stone, then cover with roasting pan. Wait 1-2 minutes allowing pan to get hot: use a small spray bottle on mist setting and spray into hole in pan.
Five minutes later, repeat; repeat again five or so minutes later. Wait five minutes then remove roasting pan and allow crust to bake to a golden color.
Enjoy!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark -

clever!

"covered" and "moisture" does the trick - many tactics to that end.
Whickwithy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Baguette for Engineers, final fermentation Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused in that at one point, you seem to suggest that the final fermentation can take 1.5 to 4 hours. In another place, you seem to indicate 12 to 24 hours. Am I just reading it wrong?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this?
"Mix poolish, flour and water until just mixed. There is some disagreement about whether yeast should be added before or after the autolyze. You decide. Let stand for 10-30 minutes. Add salt (and yeast if not added before autolyze) and knead for about 1-2 minutes. Final dough temperature should be 70 degree maximum.

Lightly oil bowl and turn dough to coat with oil. Cover bowl and mist interior of bowl to create humid environment. Let stand 12 - 24 hours. You want dough to about double in size. If dough is expanding too rapidly, process can be slowed by placing in refrigerator for a few hours. You do not want the dough to reach the stage where it collapses due to over-rising."

the 12-24 hr rise time is for the poolish - or 'starter' - or (other names)
it is fermented much longer, some folks store a starter in the fridge and feed it now and then, keeping it 'active' almost indefinitely.

a chunk of the starter-previously-prepared is added to the major dough portion - which needs a much shorter rise time.
Bostonchap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Steam for baguette Reply with quote

You’re spot on that it is extremely difficult to replicate the steam injection of commercial ovens, especially the methods you reference. Many seem to forget your earlier point that the volume of the oven is s key part of maintaining humidity levels. I use the “Mun” method posted on facebook and found it to be the most effective and cost effective. First use a baguette pan to hold the final dough. Put a cookie sheet with 1/2” walls and a pizza stone on the sheet both into the oven during pre-heat. Have a 4” deep alum roasting pan longer than the baguette pan ready. Have one cup of hot/boiling water ready. When it is time to place the dough into oven, place the baguette pan on top of the pizza stone. Then cover the dough with the alum roasting pan to create a dome. Then pour the hot water into the baking sheet and it will steam immediately into the alum roasting tray dome. This method produces sufficient humidity and maintains it because you’ve effectively reduced the oversized oven of most home kitchens. The steam is trapped under the dome during the initial bake (15 min). No need to keep spraying or adding more ice cubes, or messing around with lava rocks and damp towels. Try it, you’ll be surprised how effective this is.
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kitchen Notes: Baguettes Deconstructed Reply with quote

Great comprehensive article! I might as well share this to a baker friend.
A question, though: Is the mixing or yeast or what is the cause that some baguette breads fail to taste good?
iamkibria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what a brilliant post I have come across, and believed me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for the past week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you.
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so timing! I'll make this as a reference one of these days! Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: