Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ruined my le crueset, HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filmchef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: ruined my le crueset, HELP! Reply with quote

while scraping burned stew off the bottm of my le crueset dutch oven, I actually scrapped of about 2 inches square worth of enamel.

besides my embarassment and stupidity, what can i do to fix this?
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've got some older rigs with chips missing. It isn't a deal breaker, you just can't use it as a "non-reactive" pan anymore. It's cast iron under the coating and will still cook just FINE. Just no simmering acidic foods in it for any length of time. Oh well, at least you won't be cleaning pans like that anymore, eh?
MANUEL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Wh not acidic foods ? Reply with quote

Why "Just no simmering acidic foods in it for any length of time" in cast iron cookware? I've cooked chili in cast iron frying pans many times and it contains tomatoes.....

Thanks
eltonyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't equate your enameled pot with the true deal... cast iron pans.

and i agree with Manuel, a good dutch oven should handle a little acid for crying out loud...... in the wilderness even!

but your true cast iron pans will require much more love, and seasoning, and attention (and work) then your enameled iron pans... but they will be your most faithful commrades.

a good seasoned iron pan, is way better than your most expensive non-stick pan, and their heat capacity will over and above, kick ass over any other option.

(and if i may be so bold to say..."just EFF those new non-stick titanium pans!")

...and you will have the luxery of your iron pan throughout your elderly years,.... even being buried with your great, great, great, grand children... or even more, long after you die!

(just in case you lose sleep, over which pans will out live your destiny)

iron rocks.

stainless steel comes in second place... cuz sometimes you want your food to really stick. that's why God invented Chinese "Pot Stickers".... sigh... and pressure cookers.... some foods really cook up great in stainless steel! Smile

but in general... stick to iron. seasoned iron. with a shiny surface. and season/treat it well.

- Tony

p.s. "have you hugged your iron pan today?"

p.s.2. "have you oiled your iron pan today?"

p.s.3. "have you sheltered your iron pan from too much water.... today?"

(If your iron pot lets you down.... it's not the fault of the iron!)
Cucina Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you contacted Le Creuset about it? Unless you were scrubbing with a chisel or something I would think their warranty would cover it. It's worth a try anyway, what could you lose? I have heard of pieces being replaced a couple of times. This is from their website:

"To make a claim under this Lifetime Limited Warranty you must mail the cookware, postage prepaid, to the address below. Please enclose your return address and a brief note explaining the defect.

When returning cookware, the owner will need to call, toll-free, 1-877-CREUSET(273-8738) Consumer Services to pre-authorize the return. At that time, a return authorization number will be assigned. Consumer Services will convey to you that number and any other instructions that may be required.

LE CREUSET OF AMERICA, INC
ATTN: CONSUMER SERVICES
114 Bob Gifford Blvd.
Early Branch, SC. 29916 USA"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum