Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chocolate Truffles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Linda
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Truffles Reply with quote

I will be making molded truffles for a wedding. I planned on using a truffle mold and paint the bottom of the mold and sides with melted milk chocolate, fill with creamy chocolate center then finish by sealing with the melted milk chocolate. I'm not sure if I should simply just not cool the ganache. Will this work? Also how long ahead of time can I do this? I will be preparing 200 solid chocolate flavored candies and 200 of the truffles.
Back to top
Harlan
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: vegan Reply with quote

For those who wish to avoid the dairy in the heavy cream, coconut cream works very well. Get a can of coconut milk (avoid coconut milk with water as an ingredient!), chill it in the fridge to make the cream rise to the top and harden somewhat, then use it exactly as dairy cream. Don't use the clear milk at the bottom; you just want the fatty coconut cream on top. Makes great truffles, and doesn't taste like coconut at all.
Back to top
Melany
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: chopped pretzels woth truffles Reply with quote

I am trying a different spin on truffles. I chopped pretzels in my food processor and I will roll the truffles in that mixture. I hope it comes out yummy!
Back to top
Passerby
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Great truffles! but... Reply with quote

I've tried this recipe and found it easy. I coated the ganache with two different toppings: chopped almonds and honey flavoured cornflakes. Both are great.

I also tried to dip the ganache into melted semi-sweet baking chocolate chips to make a hard shell, but it was difficult. I found the melted chocolate very viscous, so it was hard to make a nice thin coating. If I warm the chocolate coating a bit, it becomes too warm and tends to melt the ganache... I ended up making big truffles with thick hard shell in strange shapes. I'm not sure if it'd be better if I work with my palms...but it looked too sticky to work easily.

Any tips for me??
Back to top
Michael Chu



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 1631
Location: Austin, TX (USA)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Great truffles! but... Reply with quote

Passerby wrote:
I also tried to dip the ganache into melted semi-sweet baking chocolate chips to make a hard shell, but it was difficult. I found the melted chocolate very viscous, so it was hard to make a nice thin coating. If I warm the chocolate coating a bit, it becomes too warm and tends to melt the ganache... I ended up making big truffles with thick hard shell in strange shapes. I'm not sure if it'd be better if I work with my palms...but it looked too sticky to work easily.

It's easiest to spread the melted chocolate onto your palm and quickly roll the ganache ball through it instead of dipping.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Eulogy
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Hard chunks after cooling? Reply with quote

I've tried this recipe a few times, and it has always come out quite well. However, each time, as I mix everything together after letting the cream and chocolate sit for five minutes and then putting it in the fridge for an hour or so, I wind up with hard chunks amongst the smoother ganache. I don't know why this is happening, or how to prevent it. Do I need more cream? Less cooling time? Do I need to make a double boiler and heat up the mixture more before I let it cool? (It seems very smooth when it goes in to cool.)

Any advice would be appreciated..
Back to top
Guest






PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those saying any type of chocolate can be used, that is not quite true.

The cocoa content of the chocolate makes a huge difference in the behavior of the chocolate. You should find a chocolate which is at minimum 70% cocoa.
Back to top
Michael Chu



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 1631
Location: Austin, TX (USA)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard chunks after cooling? Reply with quote

Eulogy wrote:
I've tried this recipe a few times, and it has always come out quite well. However, each time, as I mix everything together after letting the cream and chocolate sit for five minutes and then putting it in the fridge for an hour or so, I wind up with hard chunks amongst the smoother ganache.

Waht type of chocolate are you using? Bar chocolate for baking or chocolate chips or candy bar chocolate?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Guest






PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard chunks after cooling? Reply with quote

I have been using a one pound dark chocolate candy bar from my local grocery store. (It's the Pound Plus bar from Trader Joes if you happen to know that brand/store) Should I instead be looking specifically for baking chocolate?

Michael Chu wrote:
Eulogy wrote:
I've tried this recipe a few times, and it has always come out quite well. However, each time, as I mix everything together after letting the cream and chocolate sit for five minutes and then putting it in the fridge for an hour or so, I wind up with hard chunks amongst the smoother ganache.

Waht type of chocolate are you using? Bar chocolate for baking or chocolate chips or candy bar chocolate?
Back to top
Michael Chu



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 1631
Location: Austin, TX (USA)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hard chunks after cooling? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I have been using a one pound dark chocolate candy bar from my local grocery store. (It's the Pound Plus bar from Trader Joes if you happen to know that brand/store) Should I instead be looking specifically for baking chocolate?

Yes, I've used the PoundPlus brand from Trader Joe's for this recipe before without a problem. I know you said the chocolate/cream mixture seemed smooth before you put it in the fridge, but it might help to keep it warm on a double boiler (just boil the water, then turn off the heat entirely. The residual heat will be enough to keep melting the chocolate) and stir until you're entirely sure it's smooth. Then let it cool at room temperature until they are room temperature - takes about an hour. That might help...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sapinto
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: I did both! Reply with quote

I made the Ganache and let it cool at room temp over night and then covered them with tempered chocolate. The kicker is I then covered them with powder. I used Coco, Mocha, Chai Tea (highly recommended) and Coco with a little bit of Chili powder (My absolute favorite). They turned out perfect except I would buy a melon baller next time because using two spoons worked but wasn't very consistent. The idea of using gloves is genius though!

Nice post though Smile
Back to top
Guest






PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just made some of your truffles exactly as-is and they have come out really well. I was a bit concerned that they'd be slightly powdery after being rolled in cocoa powder but they weren't in the slightest.

For my next batch i'm going to try some different coatings (my skills aren't up to tempered chocolate!), maybe mixing in some fine sugar with the cocoa, or cinnamon, or chilli as suggested above.

Cheers
Steve
Back to top
Guest






PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across your site by seeing this article on topgrubs.com and I have to say that your content is so unique and me and my wife are just crazy over your great pictures.
Back to top
Guest






PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a slight variation of these truffles a few times (including butter with the cream) and they are generally delicious. The one thing is the outside of them is not very hard (room temp is 75 and they start to melt in your hand). Any ways of making it harder? I am using Ghardelli dark chocolate.
Back to top
Michael Chu



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 1631
Location: Austin, TX (USA)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I have made a slight variation of these truffles a few times (including butter with the cream) and they are generally delicious. The one thing is the outside of them is not very hard (room temp is 75 and they start to melt in your hand). Any ways of making it harder? I am using Ghardelli dark chocolate.

If you are properly tempering your chocolate, then I would probably recommend trying coating chocolate (sometimes called compound chocolate) which has a higher melting point (because of it's use of vegetable oils instead of cocoa butter). It also doesn't require tempering for that same reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group