Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chocolate Truffles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Melt chocolate instead of boiling cream Reply with quote

I'm more comfortable melting chocolate instead of boiling cream. Will this work as well?

Thanks
ahngehlah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: help? Reply with quote

i'm just wondering if you could probably add cocoa powder to the mixture? in case the chocolate i'm using doesn't have a lot of cocoa content?
Matilda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: How can I avoid getting cocoa power wet Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a question about rolling coated ganache...
Today I tried rolling my coated ganache on the powder but somehow part of the powder on the truffles just got wet and became darker. It looked pretty inconsistent..

Therefore I'm wondering how I can avoid getting the cocoa powder wet when I try to coating the truffles with powder? And after coating them, if I put the truffles into fridge to get hardened, will the powder on the truffles get wet again after I take them out from the fridge (to put them into the gift box)?

Thank you!
dbgerber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Truffles Reply with quote

Made these last week and my husband and I loved them! Using a melon baller to make the ganache balls did not work out too well for me. Then I thought that maybe a spring loaded ice cream scooper would work better but all I have is one that is big enough to scoop cookie dough. To my delight they make ice cream scoopers small enough to scoop out more reasonably sized truffles. But heck I may just make some big ones to give away as gifts for Christmas or Valentines Day! Smile
Sneha S Kumar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Rum Chocolate Truffles Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I made my first batch of choc truffles and added dark Rum for a twist... it was my first time working on chocolates, I was happy that it turned out to be the exact way i had read in various articles and specially this article. Everyone at my home and work place enjoyed it.

In love with choc truffles..and rum truffles Teasing
Caitz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Christmas Present? Reply with quote

Okay... So my gran LOVES thorntons viennese truffles, so for her christmas present i want to make her some truffles of my own as a nice homemade present from the heart. I just want to know if this would be a good recipe to use for it. Please reply xxx
Caitlin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havnt been able to find HEAVY whipping cream, but have found whipping cream... will the truffles still work?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy whipping cream has about 20% more fat (36%+ vs 30% of plain ole whipping cream)

never tried it so can't say for sure but a 20% difference could make a difference.
Trying Truffles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Have seen cream cheese used in other forums Reply with quote

I am about to make the truffles for the first time. Searching for recipes, I came upon your site. Thanks for the visuals and step by step instructions. One question I had after sorting through all the recipes on the web - can cream cheese be used in place of heavy cream? There is a recipe which suggests that - but no comments have been posted on the recipe. So I wanted your opinion. Please let me know. Thank you.
157Jen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUM!! These were wonderful! They will make a great House Warming gifts and Thank You gifts! I’m always looking for different ways to treat my friends and clients. I looked online and found a company that sells these polka dot pastry boxes that are so cute! They will make the gift complete. www . boxandwrap . com/bakerydots.html

[edit (Michael): I disabled the url because we found the same exact comment on other cooking websites regarding truffle. I left the link since the boxes could actually be of use to someone planning on gifting these truffles]
Meenu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES WITH DARK COMPOUND Reply with quote

Hi,
I tried making choc truffles with dark compound and all that i had was a pasty chocolate ganache that just didnt thicken up. Can you please suggest the solution?
Thanks
Meenu Sad
Dennis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does that finally cost? Where do you get the things from?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, do not let the cream come to a boil. The best thing I found to do is to get the cream hot enough just so there forms tiny little bubbles around the pot. Feel the temperature of the cream every now and then, as well. You don't want it to be extremely scalding hot, but at least to the point where it's quite uncomfortable for you to keep your finger in more than 1 or 2 seconds.

Next, slowly pour the cream in while gentle whisking the chocolate, and make sure not to over stir, meaning not too fast or too long to make air bubbles. If all the chocolate isn't melted after 2 minutes, simply fill that pot with hot water, about an inch to 2 inches and place the bowl you're stirring the chocolate in on *top* of the water filled pot. This is a process of double boiling. Turned the heat on the stove and turn it to low/medium low. This may take about 4-5 minutes but continually stir and soon the chunks will all be melted.

At this point, I like to spread my ganache onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet at ROOM TEMPERATURE for about 2 HOURS. This allows for more even cooling and formation. It doesn't need to look perfect, just evenly spread. I will then pop the ganache in the refrigerator for about an hour to 2 hours, depending on how thick I've made the spread. After that, cut into squares and roll. I recommend cocoa powder to help keep it from sticking, then you can dunk it in chocolate. Just remember, chocolate is very tempermental! Be patient with it, you cannot go too fast and if you do, the result will be a fast, improper product.

It's truly a trial and error process, but you'll learn quickly. I recommend watching videos of people making truffles so you can see the speed and process more visually of what it takes to be gentle with the chocolate. I hope this helps!
Karen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Storage of Chocolate Truffles Reply with quote

Storing a chocolate and cream truffle how long can they be stored in an air tight container. We want to make truffles for a wedding but are unsure of how long ahead of time we can make them without getting into trouble.
Thank you
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one week aka seven days is a safe guideline
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: