Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chocolate Truffles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirpaul484

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That definitely looks like a great recipe. Somewhat plain, but it looks easy to modify (i.e. add some rum to the cream, cinnamon to the cocoa powder, et cetera). I am definitely going to try it as-is, and then see if I can tweak it a bit.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Truffles Reply with quote

I made them for Thanksgiving, and they were delicious. Highly recomended and incredibly easy to make.
MissJubilee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Delicious truffles Reply with quote

I just finished a batch of these truffles, and they turned out great! I also appreciated your recipe for Pumpkin Pie, it came out OK for Thanksgiving though I had to adjust the time and temperature in my little toaster oven. The cream for the truffles was left over from that recipe. Only 2/3 cup was left, which was OK - 150g chocolate here is 16RMB, so two of those were the perfect proportion and plenty for my budget.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the fresh-from-the-fridge ganache, once rolled in the cocoa powder, didn't 'sweat' into the paper bag I put them in and left them at room temperature. Definitely a recipe I'll bookmark, write down, and keep to use again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Good Truffles Reply with quote

I recently tried this recipe making 2 batches: one using a 12oz bag of dark chocolate chips and 3/4 cup of cream, and the other using a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and cream. I rolled both in cocoa powder and then sifted powdered sugar on top to look like snow. They turned out great (semi-sweet was more popular than dark), and I didn't have to bother cutting the chocolate.
Jolene

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Truffles Reply with quote

Easy recipe. I did two batches--one dark chocolate and one milk chocolate. The milk chocolate were a bigger hit, but the dark chocolate were wonderful as well. I used a dark chocolate coating over the milk chocolate ganache which was heavenly! I also experimented alittle with both dark and milk chocolates by coating with almonds, pecans (huge hits!) and gold and silver dust (looked and tasted great!) as well as the cocoa dust which was also very good.

Next I'll experiment with different liqueurs and other flavors.

Thanks for the wonderful and easy recipe!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Powdered Sugar Reply with quote

Are there any issues with using powdered sugar as an alternative to coco powder? I have had it melt on me in the past but I do not remember what the exact circumstances were (though I do not believe the food was hot). I also saw non-melting powdered sugar mentioned. Is that something you can pick up at any grocery store or is it a specialty/hard to find product?

Thanks!
KTH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Chocolate truffles Reply with quote

If I want to add a a flavoring like Grand Marnier, brandy etc. - How much would I add?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chocolate will do? even those that we normally eat as snack(say cadbury chocolate)? or it has to be baking chocolate? it sweetened or un-sweetened or semi-sweetened chocolate?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
any chocolate will do? even those that we normally eat as snack(say cadbury chocolate)? or it has to be baking chocolate? it sweetened or un-sweetened or semi-sweetened chocolate?

If it's pure chocolate (look at the ingredients label) then it should be fine. If it has other stuff in it (like a chocolate bar or a chocolate confection) then it's probably not going to work. I like my chocolate dark, so I used 72% (the percentage refers to cacao content) dark chocolate for this recipe. I think most people find semi-sweet is more to their taste.
surfzone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Astonishing Reply with quote

Yesterday I made the chocolate truffles... they are great. I did it with your measures (455 g of REALLY DARK chocolate) and 235 ml of cream. The full yield was of sixty (60) truffles!!! Don't expect them to last more than a week. I was amazed because it is a VERY easy recipe (this can lead a very tweaked mind to think why people must pay such big amounts to get not-so-good-as-these truffles in a regular cake shop).

By the way, your site is great!
nonedoneundone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: easy and impressive Reply with quote

I make truffles every year for office Christmas presents, they are so easy to do and everyone is always sooooo impressed. I've been branching out and getting more elaborate with the recipes, but the basics are the same: Heat cream, add chocolate, add other special ingredients, cool, roll into balls. Melt chocolate, dip ganache, give to everyone, sit back and graciously accept compliments.

Least amount of work for the most amount of praise.
Katrina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Yummy in all flavors Reply with quote

For a little twist on this recipe try using peanut butter baking chips. I get rave reviews with them from family and co-workers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: milk chocolate in truffles? Reply with quote

I'm really not a fan of dark chocolate so would like to make milk chocolate truffles (some with baileys). Can I use the same recipe or does it need to be modified when using milk chocolate? what about white chocolate?
And will the different chocolate affect how long you can store them?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I want to add a a flavoring like Grand Marnier, brandy etc. - How much would I add?
I just made a few hundred of these guys for christmas gifts. I was making half batches and adding 2-4 fl oz. of liqueur per batch (basically just added to taste). It is a pretty stable recipe and didnt seem to be affected by the additions I made. I used Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet chocolate for each flavor, and I made a total of 9 different flavors.

Starbucks Liqueur - rolled in cocoa, garnished with a whole coffee bean
    Cointreau - rolled in cocoa, garnished with candied orange zest
    Malibu Rum - rolled in coconut
    Frangelico - rolled in finely chopped hazelnuts
    Disarono - rolled in cocoa, garnished with sliced almond
    Chambord - rolled in coco, I couldn't think of a good garnish for this. I ended up using marzipan mixed with Chambord
    Barenjager - rolled in cocoa, garnished with honeycomb
    Peanut butter - rolled in chopped peanuts
AaronTraas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a humongous batch of these for Christmas presents... 9 lbs of chocolate! They're absolutely delicious, and go amazingly well with a dry, full-bodied cabernet sauvignon. It came out really well, but I want to try to experiment further...

I first want to try adding a little cayenne to the cocoa powder... I've read that the capsaicin interacts nicely with the polyphenols in chocolate, thus "turning up" the flavor. I also want to try crushed espresso beans and chopped hazelnuts.

I want to experiment as well with adding different liqueurs, particularly Frangelico, Grand Marinier, Vandermint, and Chambord. How much of a cordial should I add to the ganache mixture? At what point would I add the additional liquid?

One minor note... they did not melt as easily or quickly on the tongue as some truffles I've had, though they had the best flavor of any that I'd tasted. If I wanted a lower melting point, should I merely add more cream? Or do I need to add even more fat of some other type?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: