Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chocolate Truffles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: doubling recipe Reply with quote

newbie? wrote:
hi, i'm planning to make truffles for the first time and i wanted to make more than just 30 of them. would the result come out the same if i just doubled the recipe?

Pretty much, but it may be easier to work in batches when making the ganache (melting the chocolate with the cream).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: my truffles Reply with quote

so, i just made my first ever truffles yesterday as a trial run and they came out really well in my opinion and that of my friends. i made my real batch today and found a problem with my white chocolate ganache- it came out really sticky but it was rather smooth. it was still sticky after having been in the fridge for about 4 hours. after 15-20 min i move my ganache into the freezer in all my batches.

however, the ganache i had made yesterday and after the white chocolate batch came out fluffy and in small clumps and was not sticky at all. those batches were made with milk chocolate chips and some with dark chocolate bakers chocolate added in as well.

i used cream cheese and my ratio was 1:1.5 (cream to chocolate)

any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELP PLEASE! I really want to make these but in Australia we don't have Heavy Cream. We have Whipping, Double and Thickened Cream. What would you recommend to use. Thanks so much.......Debra
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
We have Whipping, Double and Thickened Cream

Use double cream.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will give it a try.
Gadget

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Truffle coating Reply with quote

Try adding 1/4t or more ground red pepper to the cocoa powder for a special surprise...delicious
Yolande

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate ganache Reply with quote

Help!
I made white chocolate ganache last night using ordinary white chocolate- candy section and plain cream, i added macademia nuts and now after being in the fridge the whole night (the ganache not me) it's still very soft. I don't think i'll be able to form balls, is there anything i can add to harden the ganache a little bit?
i want oreo truffles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: oreo cookie truffles Reply with quote

if i use white chocolate, then mix it with the heavy cream mixed with the filling of about 10 oreo cookies and follow this recipe, would it work? i also plan on rolling it in oreo crumbs. so do you think it will work??
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: white chocolate Reply with quote

I've never tried either white chocolate or white chocolate with oreos. As for firming up the ganache, you may have too much cream for the chocolate you are using (white chocolate behaves differently than dark chocolate since it's such a different product) and my only suggestion is to try to melt more chocolate into the mixture if possible.

For the oreo truffle, it sounds interesting and worth trying - but I haven't done this before. Make sure you let me know how it went - I'm sure even if it doesn't work out on the first try, it'll still be delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: liquid glucose Reply with quote

Hi, I use 10ml of Liquid Glucose (Glucose syrup) added to the boiled cream. Truffles will keep for up to a month using this.

Bols do a superb range of liquers (Parfait D'Amour is my favourite). Also amazing flavours to try are Malibu, Grand Marnier (or cointreau), Baileys, fruit liquers (see the Bols range), and Toffoc (toffee flavour vodka made here in Wales, UK )

I add between 40ml - 60ml of whichever alchohol I'm using to each 333g of chocolate - added after the cream and glucose, chocolate & butter have been stirred together & then refrigerate. It looks like a lot of alcohol when its added, but it will stir in nicely.
Kyre42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: base chocolate Reply with quote

I've been making truffles for a couple of years now, after being inspired by Alice Medrich's Bittersweet; my production increased after founding the Church of Chocolate (www.churchofchocolate.org). I find these proportions work very well to make four dozen truffles:

4 oz 54% dark chocolate (Trader Joe's Pound Plus)
4 oz 72% chocolate (Trader Joe's bittersweet Pound Plus)
4 oz unsalted butter
1 good pinch sea salt -- this is essential!
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp evaporated cane sugar
2 fl oz water (or strong coffee, if you like mocha truffles)
Flavorings: vanilla or almond essence, 2 oz liqueurs to taste, zest of one medium orange, or whatever you fancy.

I melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler. While that's heating, I separately heat the water and sugar in the microwave to make a syrup. I immediately pour this very hot syrup into the egg yolks, whisking all the while. When the chocolate is melted and smooth, I add the salt, eggs, and flavorings, stirring gently all the while. I spoon into heart-shaped ice cube trays, chill for four hours, pop them out and toss each truffle in a mixture of cocoa, sugar, and spices (especially cardamom).

I find this recipe is very forgiving -- I never have texture problems with it, and can use various flavorings. Notice there is no cream, so it's adaptable for lactose-intolerant diets.

Great thread, everyone -- keep up the good work!
Squarf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Truffles Reply with quote

Try to obtain some natural chocolate covatures -- 72-76%. Very expensive (Cru Savage), but incredible. Blend with 74-76% Valrohne covatures. Buy two bars of ultra premium milk chocolate (about $4 each). Test for the "snap" factor -- that is, bend a corner slightly and feel the snap. It should be crisp. This will enable a measure of control over the texture of the final product. Use ultra pasturized heavy whipping cream, and Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla pods, being sure the scoop out the caviar and add it to mix... and then cut up the pod shells and toss in the pieces. Use nothing but natural cane sugar (in liquid form). I doubt that it is available in supermarkets, but an internet search will be productive. Conch (stir) the melted mass. Consider adding concentrated strawberry or raspberry flavoring oil as a "lilting factor." Cover with Saran Wrap so that no chocolate is exposed to the air. Cool., then refrigerate. You have just begun. Many re-melts later (as you attempt to nail the right flavor and texture by adding this and that --an ordeal if you are a perfectionist) will result in chocolate for the gods, not to be spoiled by dusting with off-the-shelf coca powder. Spoon (after a final re-melt and verification that it is PERFECT) into little paper cups. You are ready to collapse at this point because it has taken DAYS and DAYS to get there. But... if you have not compromised and if you have a fine sense of nuance for the taste, vapors, and texture of true chocolate glory -- voila! -- you will become a legendary chocolatier. - squarf@bellsouth.net
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: raspberry Reply with quote

If you choose to go the route of coating the truffles in chocolate, mix 1-2 tsp of seedless raspberry jam into the melted chocolate before coating. It tastes delicious!
Angie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Wonderful Discussion on Making Truffles Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

I absolutely love your illustrated truffle recipe. It makes the whole process so "doable" for anyone who is willing to give it a try.

The amazing discussion that follows with all the input of your guests is really inspirational, too. So many mouth watering ideas for variations.

I've just had to add a link to this page from my site http://www.chocolate-candy-mall.com because I feel the information found here is invaluable to chocolate truffle lovers.

I'm really looking forward to enjoying more of your recipes in future. Excellent work!!!

Blessings,
Angie
maz_rocks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: truffles Reply with quote

I am making truffles and the mixture wont set it has been left over night but still too sticky to make into balls. Can you give me advise what to do ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: