Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Tempering Chocolate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: cutting designs by hand with tempered chocolate Reply with quote

Thanks Michael for responding. I will be cutting triangles and circles with a knife and cookie cutters. I will try tonight your suggestions.
brookescandyco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: demo Reply with quote

Hi,
I am doing my first demo on chocolate and handmade chocolates for the first time for the public. Can you please give me some info on what you would be interested in, if you were going to see a demo?
Thanks so much,
Brooke
www.brookescandyco.com
merrimary@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Chocolate! Reply with quote

In answer to the question about what I would like to see at a Demo...
Techniques... I've been to chocolate demos before so if you want specifics, just let me know.

Also, in answer to the tempering... I am a Dove Chocolate at Home (soon to be renamed Dove Chocolate Discoveries) consultant/chocolatier. I can vouch for the Revolation I tempering machine.... sold elsewhere for $349-$400 - Dove sells it at their in-home parties for $199 for customers or as a hostess 1/2 off item for only $99.50!! It is also part of the higher end starter kit. Want to know more... just email me or visit: www.dovechocolateathome.com/sites/mary

Edited by Michael Chu: I fixed the incorrect url with the correct one.
chocolateking5201

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Tempering Reply with quote

What kind of machine is suggested to make the tempering process a little easier?
Mountain Girl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: High Altitude Chocolate Tempering Reply with quote

I'm about to make my first attempt at tempering chocolate, using your instructions. Do I need to make temperature adjustments for altitude? I live 9600 feet above sea level.
Phyllis S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Tempering Chocolate Reply with quote

Comments very helpful. Thank you.
After tempering, what's the best way for the "amateur" to keep the chocolate at 88-90 F while working?
Majesty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Chocolate bowls Reply with quote

Quote:
On November 05, 2007 at 04:19 PM, Houston amateur (guest) said...
Subject: Making chocolate bowls
Hi, I saw Jacques Torres make the most amazing flower bowls made out of chocolate on PBS this weekend. I'm new at chocolate tempering and made a mess this weekend trying to recreate his masterpiece (he made it look SO easy!) He used balloons with dark tempered chocolate (dipped in the chocolate three times to make the flower effect). Stuck em in regrigerator for 8 minutes then popped the balloon and voila! Needless to say, I tried this many many times and had a host of problems. First, my chocolate didn't turn out dark, hard and shiny like his and second, my balloons kept sticking to the chocolate. Any advice on what best chocolate to use (i'm working on my tempering methods). It appears semi-sweet chocolate chips are NOT the best to use for tempering. I'm thinking dark bittersweet chocolate. Will it be sweet enough to eat the bowls?

Hi Houston amateur, I guess this answer comes terribly late, but I only recently learned myself how to make chocolate bowls. It's explained very well on this site: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2008/12/23/the-big-chocolate-blowout-chocolate-balloon-cups/

Important is really (I think I also explain this in the comments-section under the name 'Renske') that the chocolate has to be liquid but feel almost cold. You can try this by putting some chocolate on your lip. This is very important!
I used dark chocolate, 'Callebout', and this was sweet enough. The trick with the balloons not to stick (this is also where I got frustrated) is to let the air out at the tip of the balloon and not in the middle. Then they will deflate slowly. After a while you will get the hang of it. I would put them longer in the fridge than 8 minutes though, but maybe you have a fancier fridge. With fridge I mean the one that is around 6 degrees Celsius, not the under zero fridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom made these chocolate bowls when I was young, we found that one of the easiest ways to remove the balloon is to put a piece of tape near the knot and put a pin in through the tape. The tape keeps the hole from growing so the air leaks out slowly. You end up with a shriveled balloon inside the bowl that can be pulled away more easily than an inflated balloon. You still need to be careful when removing it, the bowl is fragile!

On another note, if I am making truffles at home and I want to dip them in chocolate, and I am only giving them to my husband (who won't care about bloom on the chocolate),

a) do I need to temper the chocolate?

b) or should I just use dipping chocolate or candy wafers?

Thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
On another note, if I am making truffles at home and I want to dip them in chocolate, and I am only giving them to my husband (who won't care about bloom on the chocolate),

a) do I need to temper the chocolate?

In this case, just melt the chocolate and coat those truffles.
Aubade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: In this case, just melt the chocolate and coat those truffle Reply with quote

I was interested in knowing how to temper chocolate and have read all of the comments . . . very interesting. I love chocolate and after reading this, I have a greater appreciation for those lovely ready-made luxurious chocolates I can buy in a box.
Teasing
I love truffles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Careful! Reply with quote

So I followed the truffle recipe and used tempering to try to coat the truffles.

I used 23 ounces of milk chocolate chips (Ghirardelli) and 1 cup of whipping cream to get a perfect ganache (instructions were great). Many other websites listed the conversion for dark vs milk as 1.5:1, so this seemed pretty good. This made about 60 truffle balls which I split into two cookie sheets (with a sheet of wax paper on each).

I had another 11.5 bag of milk chocolate chips for the shell, which i split into 2 groups...one for each cookie sheet. The first time, I put the chocolate chips in small pot, heated it by resting it in a slightly larger pot with hot water on the stove, got them just to start getting melty and then removed them from heat and started stirring. This made a great syrup that I could roll the ganache balls in. Key hint here, don't be stingy...when I do it again, I'll probably do another layer (or maybe two). I was doing 2-3 balls per slathering of chocolate on my hand and I would say either do that with multiple layers, or do one slather per ball.

The second batch was not good, but it was interesting. I don't know why, but I immediately started stirring the chips when i put the small pot into the larger pot. What I ended up with was a mass of chocolate that was not melting at all and a finger poke confirmed that it was very very hot. It never did melt (and for fun I nuked it and that turned it into a frothy nightmare...so I coated the rest of the truffles in sugar powder). I don't know why, but don't touch the chocolate until it starts to melt.

Oh, and the truffles came out close to most decent chocolatiers in terms of quality. They usually charge $2-5 per truffle and I spent $15 on supplies (including the chocolate mass in the trash) and got 60 good sized truffles why were well loved by my party. I didn't have a melon baller, but I used a metal teaspoon ring thing that that worked (I don't remember which one i used, but it was one of the rings). Thanks for the instructions!
pamseb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: almond clusters Reply with quote

I have been helped hugely by all the comments about tempering chocolates. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

If I want to make chocolate almond clusters, do I have to warm up the almonds before mixing them with the chocolate? Is there a special way of handling ingredients in clusters (temperature-wise or otherwise) to guarantee success and avoid blooming?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Uses of tempered chocolate Reply with quote

Would I be able to use this method in order to dip a chocolate center for a truffle or would it melt while being dipped and if not at what temperature should the chocolate be when i dip into it. If anyone has an answer thank you very much for your time.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Uses of tempered chocolate Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Would I be able to use this method in order to dip a chocolate center for a truffle or would it melt while being dipped and if not at what temperature should the chocolate be when i dip into it. If anyone has an answer thank you very much for your time.

The amount of chocolate that enrobes the truffle center is very little, so it won't melt the center. In fact, the center will probably be cold enough to cause the chocolate to harden rapidly around it. Just take some melted and tempered chocolate, put it in your palm and roll the truffles through them. Just dropping the truffle into the tempered chocolate will cause them to melt. See the Chocolate Truffles recipe recipe to see an example.
fooburger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: more detailed questions on tempering Reply with quote

1) If I heat/melt the chocolate to ~ 105F, and I stir it down to 88F (whereupon I put in diced chocolate chips as seeds), can I immediately pour into the mold? Or do I need to work it at 88F for a while (somehow managing to maintain that temperature.. maybe a small hot bath or sorts).
2) My first tempering project is massive... a 35lbs 3' chocolate bunny.. I have the mold arriving today.. I've started testing the process with small amounts of chocolate and am waiting for the mold to arrive to scale up. I'm guessing stirring is important, but the process seems different from say, ice cream, where you are trying to prevent the formation of large scale crystal structures causing ice cream to taste brittle... so my question is, is it better to stir or not to stir? Overstir? Understir? I get the feeling that without *some* stirring, no crystalline structure can form, as the molecules are probably not mobile enough, even in vaguely liquid form.

My game plan is to melt in a very low oven (with a few high heat capacity absorbers to moderate the temperature). Then I'm figuring that while stirring the temperature down, the chocolate will spend a great deal of time cooling very slowly (for a large thermal mass, only the outer surface will actually conduct/radiate heat away, so volume/mass ratio is high, which should cause very slow cooling... though mitigated by stirring). My hope is that if I stir it in a big vat, the chocolate will spend a lot of time at or near 88F.

This is going to be a lot of fun.. and I do hope it goes well.... as for first attempts at molding chocolate, we sure picked the big one. Smile

Thanks for any pointers in advance.
--fooburger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: