Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixing my GE Range.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SgtNickFury

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Fixing my GE Range. Reply with quote

Frustrated with our crappy range, but not in a financial position to actually buy a new stove, I called an appliance repair center, I asked how much it would cost to have someone look at our range and diagnose our problems......they informed me it would be 59 dollars.....(Just say 60 dng it). I asked if that included repair, "OH NO, that's just to diagnose the problem!" she said...I said I might call back....(when hell freezes over)

I figure if I can fix a computer, how hard can a stove possibly be.....so I got my trusty multi-meter and headed out to some online repair sites....of course I could buy the official GE appliance repair manuals that GE kindly sells as a side buisiness, but I am determined to fix this stove without having to pay GE for anything other then parts. (GE makes a LOT of money off of the repair market, short of torrenting a manual, I will not get one, in MY opinion that should be a free download PDF from any appliance maker. I did check though, no applaice repair manual torrents......a pitty)......I found a site called the "Samurai Appliance Repair Man", and found this little gem.....he REALLY does NOT like GE, I am inclined to agree based on my own limited experience with their products........As soon as we can budget it, the GE goes out, and the Kenmore comes in. (My Dream Range\Stove)

Well I know I am easily amused but when I read this, coke went through my nose....(cola...)

Quote:
Mailbag: GE Appliances

eagle wrote:
Quote:
been working for ge over 22 years and the funny thing is almost all our buss is repete buss you dont like ge but i would not have anything else they dont fall apart like most of your favs do

Message sent from IP: 207.14.237.130

Each day, thousands of young men and women give up on their high school education, and, in many cases, on themselves. This means that thousands of young adults enter the working world without the most basic requirement for a decent job - a high school diploma. Dropping out of high school is strongly related to many troubling factors facing kids: substance abuse problems, unplanned pregnancies and involvement in criminal behavior can all cause students to prematurely withdraw from school and never return. Conversely, once a student drops out, he is at higher risk for substance abuse, risky sexual activity, suicide attempts, fighting, weapon carrying, and, most troubling of all, long-term employment with GE Appliances.

In many cases, dropping out of high school is precipitated by other problems, such as stressful family situations or using GE appliances at home. In particular, family background and involvement plays an important part in a child's academic achievement. Here are some troubling statistics that reveal the breadth of this problem:

* More than 1,300 students drop out of school every day.
* 30% of Hispanic youths are dropouts.
* 14% of African American youths are dropouts.
* 8% of Caucasian youths are dropouts.
* 41-46% of all prisoners are dropouts.
* 97-120% of GE employees are dropouts (according to their statistics).
* High school dropouts make 42% less money in the workplace than high school graduates.
* 50% of dropouts are unemployed. The other half works for GE Appliances.
* Dropouts are three times as likely to face poverty and seven times as likely to own GE appliances.

Just say "No" to GE appliances. And stay in school...PLEASE!

This message brought to you by Samurai Appliance Repair Man and the Ad Council.
Samurai Appliance Repair Man cast these pearls at 14:19 ET. [permalink]

http://fixitnow.com/2003/11/mailbag-ge-appliances.htm

In any case I have never attempted to work on any appliance before, unless you count plumbing and toilets............All of my repair jobs have been computers.......but how hard can it be? It's an element a socket and a switch right? Well I may eat those words, but I'm gonna see if I can't do it myself.
SgtNickFury

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed my stove, and learned A LOT about electrical wiring!!!

Hoozah!!!

And while I did have to buy a few things to get it fixed, I feel very gratified I didn't have to pay some over priced repair guy, compared to computers this was a snap!!!!

I highly highly recommend that site......

http://fixitnow.com/

it had EVERYTHING i needed to know to fix my stove, and I learned a bit about multi meters that up to this point I have never used for anything but to check computer connections and voltage.

IF you're afraid to fix your appliances but have no problems fixing your computer then I HIGHLY recommed this site, it's EASY by comparison. Let's face it most repairmen are NOT the brightest bulbs you've ever met, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum