Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cream of Mushroom Soup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Canning Cream Soups Reply with quote

We do a lot of canning of most veggies and make a wonderful cream tomato soup and cream zucchini soup, both without using milk or cream. The tomato soup taste as good or better than that of Campbell’s from the 1940’s (I was raised on it). The Campbell’s was good then. On the question of canning cream we have never tried because from what we have read it will most likely always curdle or just look bad. I cannot say what Campbell’s does to their soup but just reading the ingredients label you can tell there must be some chemistry going on. Just eat it fresh made and enjoy. I have not yet tried this recipe but will get the ingredients and put it together, sounds great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: How do I compare this to a can Reply with quote

Hello! I use a can of cream of mushroom soup for a couple of recipes. Could you please tell me what I would need to do to compare or make this more into a substitution for a can of cream of mushroom soup. I don't add water or milk in the recipes I need to make that use a can of cream of mushroom soup.....how do I make this version into a condensed can version? Thanks!!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>how do I make this version into a condensed can version?

not a problem.

make the recipe as directed.
simmer the soup for 10-20 hours on a ultra low flame until the water evaporates out and the soup reaches the consistency you want.

alternately, put the hotplate and soup pan in your kitchen vacuum chamber, draw it down to 26" vacuum - that will speed up the process.
ChangLee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: sautee the mushrooms Reply with quote

Putting raw diced mushrooms into the soup will cause them to float and they'll be reluctant to draw in the ingredients in the pot. It makes more sense to saute them first.

Good recipe otherwise!!
Guest_Maria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Mushrooms slices instead of diced Reply with quote

To puree the soup sounds like a good idea. Eating dice of mushrooms I think is too chunky. I will try this recipe but instead of dicing the mushrooms I will slice them and probably saute them, first. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this was on the home page today, and having just made a tasty mushroom-heavy vegetable soup last night, I couldn't resist reading through this recipe.

Looks nice but as a vegetarian of 10 years whose diet relies on mushrooms (and indeed mushroom soups) as an important staple, I was disappointed to see the chicken broth in this recipe. I'm of the (biased) opinion that meatless soups should have a vegetarian broth--either vegetable broth, or much better yet for this type of soup, a mushroom broth which will add depth of flavor and a great earthiness. I will also add that there is a whole world of flavor outside of the white button mushroom. You needn't go looking for exotic or expensive shrooms (though kudos if you do), but try using half white button and half easily-obtainable crimini ("baby bella")--again...depth and earthiness. I usually use the white buttons for filler and others for flavor, especially if I'm making a "quick" mushroom soup to be served right away. Very tasty!

As with the last comment, I don't puree but I do sautee the mushrooms.
Mithun Alva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Trying out recipes Reply with quote

Hi Michael. I'v recently started trying out recipes and I enjoy reading your blog.

In this post, you have mentioned how you tried out various recipes before you zeroed in on this particular one. I am really interested in knowing the quantities of ingredients you used in testing recipes. Do you start out with ingredient quantities same as in the recipe you've mentioned above? Or do you start small and then amp it up once you know you are going in a good direction? If you do indeed start small and then build up, is there some sort of a thumb rule for increasing ingredient quantities accordingly? I know this is a very general question, but I'd be interested in what your thoughts are on this topic.

Thanks and hope you guys are settling down great in Austin.

Mithun
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Trying out recipes Reply with quote

Mithun Alva wrote:
Do you start out with ingredient quantities same as in the recipe you've mentioned above?

I try to use the same quantity of ingredients in the original recipe.
lampot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: vacuum chamber? Reply with quote

Hi there,
I was just wondering what a vacuum chamber was...is it similar to a pressure cooker? it sounds interesting.Smile
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>vacuum chamber

it's the opposite of a pressure cooker - a closed chamber where the interior pressure is reduced below normal atmospheric pressure.

at lower air pressure liquids will boil - turn from liquid to vapor - at a lower temperature, or faster at the same temperature.

the extreme example is "freeze drying" - ala (some) instant coffee - a frozen liquid is put under vacuum. the frozen water 'sublimes' - leaving just the solids. sublimes' means goes from a solid state (i.e. ice) to a vapor state without going thru a liquid phase.
Miguel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: I've make it!!! Reply with quote

Hello!
I've made this soup today and it was very good. As I hadn't leek I used cabbage heart instead, and it was just fine. I have also pureed the soup, but added some un-pureed mushrooms at the end...
magnoliasouth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Making it condensed Reply with quote

To those asking about making this a condensed version, this is actually fairly simple. Just reduce the liquid portion to about half, but keep the fats and flour the same. Should you decide to add any liquid later to make the full soup or whatever, you just add the remaining half.

It may be a bit difficult (only at first) because it does get very thick, but the end result is the same. Just reduce the heat a bit to prevent scorching. After you've done it a couple of times, it becomes very easy.

Freezing is tricky. Creams typically don't do well frozen because they separate. You could experiment and try a small amount. Some say a blender mixes it up well, but that's not very helpful if you have mushrooms in there. You don't want mush, you want the rooms with it too. Big smile

If you absolutely must freeze, then I'd just eliminate the cream and add that only when ready to use it. You'll have to do a little math to figure it out (e.g., whether you're doing condensed or the full soup). Also if you plan on using mushrooms, add those into the soup, let it simmer a few minutes, then freeze.

It's all about just rearranging the recipe according to what you want to do with it.

Oh and 1 condensed can of Campbell's is 1 1/4 cups undiluted. That may be helpful for any recipe.

Good luck! Smile
V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Cream of Mushroom Soup Reply with quote

I am so glad people are talking about substitutions. Frankly, this is one of the few cooking sites NOT dedicated to allergy issues that have people actively asking such questions and actually getting reasonable answers...even from other commenters. Cool!

Anyway... hemp milk does make for one of the best substitutions for milk I've ever tried. I was going to suggest almond milk, for it's mild flavor, but it's mouth feel is pretty thin and I've never tried reducing it much beyond scalding. IF you can find sunflower seed butter that isn't too salty or sweetened, that also adds a nice toasty flavor that works well with strongly flavored mushrooms. Say... making this with shitake and baby bella. Though you'd probably want to change the
flavor base at that point.

As for vegetarians being disappointed... well, the sad truth is, the overwhelming majority of the folks in the food world are omnivores.

You can protest this trend by substituting EVERY instance of meat or meat based products with vegetarian products... and make it taste wonderful. I'm serious. I was one for five years. Working out your frustration in the kitchen is frankly a lot more satisfying than harassing those who think their canines are useful for something. This means you can shame them (without rebuke!) with your awesome re-worked recipes, and make those vegetarian bashers eat their words about tasteless and "weak" food. Hey... if the Brahmans in India can do it... why not here?

I mean... Butter. Milk. Cream. Why pick on the chicken broth? That would be the easiest to replace. If you don't want to make your own, Pacifica does an amazing organic mushroom broth that would sing in this recipe.
V

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Coconut Milk Reply with quote

Early on in these comments it was asked if coconut milk was a good replacement for the cream. That was a few years ago. Now, there are a number of coconut milk products available in the market place. The sweet, coconutty flavored milks are most likely creme of coconut: as widely known for tasty beverages.

Also, the fats in coconut are pretty good for you as long as you don't cook them too much. I am on a restricted fat diet, and my dietitian mentioned unprocessed coconut as one of the good fats... as long as it wasn't overheated.

Anyway.

Then there are the canned coconut milk types mostly used for Thai and East Asian and Indian cuisines. These might work, though you want to make sure they aren't sweetened. Mushrooms and coconut go very well together, actually. One of my favorite cram sauces involves mushrooms fried up with coconut milk as the only thickener. Great on Kangaroo Steaks. Thank you, Australia!

My concern for using type number two is that the coconut solids might separate over time. This wouldn't store well.

Then there is the third type, which is a coconut milk which is formulated and marketed specifically to allergy sufferers. It's fat to liquid ratio are normalized to roughly that of whole milk. Personally, I think it's richer... not quite as rich as half and half... but pretty close.

While it is identifiably coconut milk, it does not scream the coconut flavor or come off sweet. It helps to buy the unsweetened variety, but even the sweetened type could be used for savory purposes, or even for non-coconut flavors.

I am going to make t this recipe using the hemp milk as the milk base,
then adding the coconut milk last as one does the cream for finishing. This way, the coconut milk gets heated but not boiled, and presumably stays reasonably healthy. Also, I know for a fact that hemp milk and coconut milk together taste great. I make milk-free eggnog for the holidays out of this duo. However, this mix by itself would also be good flavor-wise for savory applications as well.

I will also be using tapioca flour for the wheat. I don't like making this many changes from the original recipe without testing first, but I want to be able to eat the results. Smile

IF the coconut milk is not rich enough for my purposes, I'll use an old Thai trick and put in come finely blended macadamia nuts. I'd use candlenuts if I had them, but hey, I live in the US.

I'll report back here if people are interested once I get results.
ruthie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: ways to store Reply with quote

Could you put portions into FoodSaver, e.g., bags or containers and do the vacuum sealing thing? If I'm understanding it correctly, that would allow you to store in the fridge for extended periods.

I bought my system for parcelling up roasts, like ham that doesn't freeze well, so I could store them safely in the fridge instead. Wouldn't that work for a cream soup or sauce?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: