Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cream of Mushroom Soup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: where is the milk?!? Reply with quote

chasta wrote:
do you have something against dairy products?!?

This recipe has 7 cups whole milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream... am I missing something?
liaglynn22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Treat this the same as the canned version? Reply with quote

Hello! What a great idea you have here! I can't wait to try this. Now, do I treat this as if it were the same as the canned version? Meaning if I were to be making a recipe that calls for a can of cream of mushroom soup and then a can of water or milk, do I still add the milk or water that the recipe is calling for?

I hope I didn't confuse you. Thanks for your time
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Treat this the same as the canned version? Reply with quote

liaglynn22 wrote:
Hello! What a great idea you have here! I can't wait to try this. Now, do I treat this as if it were the same as the canned version? Meaning if I were to be making a recipe that calls for a can of cream of mushroom soup and then a can of water or milk, do I still add the milk or water that the recipe is calling for?

The problem is that this actually makes soup. The cans are (usually) condensed, so you'll have to take that into account. I don't have a can handy right now so I don't know how much liquid to subtract from the recipe.
a picky omnivore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: substitute for milk Reply with quote

there's a new product on the market called hemp milk. i've found through brief experimentation it has enough of a creamy quality and fatty mouth feel to take the place of milk without the allergy risk of say soy milk. the hemp milk can be reduced to a condensed milk consistency and has a delicious result.also there are gluten free alternatives for the flour that are blends of various flours together. the ones with tapioca in the blend make for a nice rapid thickening.
stooner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything hemp can't do?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: pressure cooking Reply with quote

ten servings is alot for me....and i have little freezer space .... can it be canned in a pressure cooker? and if so would you know what pressure and how long to cook it in the pressure cooker?
erasmus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to see the range of discussion revolving around the substitutions and techniques. I appreciate the comments on the cast iron supplement to prevent the scalding. I had the pleasure of being introduced to an electric stove for the first time this year and had to deal with this issue. I also like substituting things as this was very common practice by my mother with seemingly positive results. I tend to use corn starch and potato flour often as thickening agents, however this is without any attention being payed towards nutritional content or restrictions... Good recipe and good discussion.

As to debbie downer:

Quote:
It is not entirely accurate to qualify this recipe with : "has the taste and consistency of the soup everyone is familiar with".

You really mean "everyone in the USA who was brought up with Campbell's canned soup." Most of my neighbors here in the SW of France wouldn't quite get it.

As the author lives in California, I don't think any claim was made with regards to understanding the taste or consistency of canned soup within the global marketplace. One may infer that this was a reference to Campbell's Soup. Perhaps you and your neighbors in France can look elsewhere for finding close to home canned-like recipes. Instead why don't you offer some constructive additions to a "Mushroom Soup Recipe" post or not bother next time.
bagette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: freeze? Reply with quote

I have read most of the postings - perhaps not carefully enough - and I don't see any clarity to the freezing issue. I have been working to get preservatives out of my family's diet, but we love to make stroganoff the typical fast American way with condensed mushroom soup and wish to switch to a healthier option. Other recipes I have encountered say specifically not to freeze. Has anyone tried it? Thanks!
Ben

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Non Dairy Reply with quote

An odd question. There really isn't anyway to get around making a non-dairy version of this is there? The girl I am dating wants cream of mushroom soup, but is extremelt allergic to cow's milk. Is there anyway to make a decent facsimile of this recipe without endangering her life?
Julie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: bowl Reply with quote

OMG that final picture with the mushroom soup with the little decorative mushroom on top ... that bowl.. i have the SAME EXACT BOWLS!!
hahah but anyways - your soup looks amazing- the pictures and instructions are brilliant!
Lori

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Goat's milk Reply with quote

We used to sell goat's milk to a family with a child allergic to cow's milk. Your girlfriend would know if she can drink goat's milk. It is now readily available in most grocery stores.
Sally

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Cream of Mushroom Soup Reply with quote

I tried this soup tonight and it was just fabulous!! I followed the directions but reduced the milk to 6 cups and increased the chicken broth to 1 14 oz can. I roasted the mushrooms (white and baby bella) and I added 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and a Tablespoon (or more if you prefer) of sherry. I also puree'd the soup which I thought made the soup easier to eat. If you like Mushroom Soup - this is the recipe!! yum
count chocula

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: cream of broccoli Reply with quote

Can I simply replace the mushrooms with broccoli to make cream of broccoli soup?
captdad1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Leeks Reply with quote

How important are the leeks...they don't agree with me. Unsure
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a good cream base for any soup of that style - so indeed

substitute broccoli - or kale - or celery - or asparagus or . . .

the leeks are a flavoring addition of the onion family - if you don't like them, certainly you can substitute or omit to suite your own tastes.

if no one ever experimented, we'd all still be eating fresh apples . . . <g>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: