Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cream of Mushroom Soup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your milk is scalding on an electric burner (because it will actually go to lower heat that a gas burner will), then your pan is probably too thin on the bottom. If you don't want to spring for a thicker bottomed pan, then place a cast iron skillet that is wider than your pan on the burner first, then put the pan with the soup in it. I wouldn't do this until after just before you put the milk in -- it will slow down the earlier steps in the process.
HINT: this is also a good idea for those of you with gas burners who want a very low simmer; the cast iron gives off an even heat that prevents the hot spots that happen when you place a pan directly on the gas burner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipie looks wonderful ... but the flour is just for thickening, right? If I wanted to make this soup but with fewer carbs, could I use another thickening agent (like xantham gum)? I know, the consistency may not come out right, so I might have to experiment with it a bit.
mbengineer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Wash Your Leeks!!! Reply with quote

Don't forget to properly wash the Leeks or you'll have gritty soup!!!!
*morningstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love cream of mushroom soup over rice, and this is fantastic that there's a recipe I can try at home. One question though - can the soup be frozen? Three quarts is a lot of soup, more than I would be able to eat by myself before it went bad.
theojf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Replacing the dairy fat Reply with quote

Looks like a great recipe. I tend to enjoy understanding substitutions, so I thought I'd chime in with a comment on the milk-replacement discussion:

If you're looking to reduce the fat content, and cut out the cream, you might find (I haven't tried it) the the following trick works: to skim milk, add non-fat powdered milk until you have the consistency of cream. This is how they make non-fat "cream" for coffee, which you can also buy directly.

I've generally had good success using soy milk in place of regular milk (I have a lot of vegan friends), and I agree with the suggestion of pureed cashew for the cream. Pureed pine nuts also work amazingly well.

One other substitution comment: for those gluten-free cooks, potato or tapioca flour ought to work in place of the regular flour. I'd probably go potato, since I like the potato flavor in soup, but tapioca is plainer. I don't know, though, how to reduce the carbs. You can probably just leave it out, and have a thinner soup. I use xanthan for gluten-free baking, but haven't tried it in other contexts. Arrowroot is much more powerful than flour as a thickener, but breaks down upon boiling.
nancyho-sg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it yesterday. It was delicious. My husband loves it. He couldn't believe it wasn't canned.

I wonder if those brown button mushroom will give a stronger mushroom taste...

Thanks for the recipe.
Bee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Garnish Reply with quote

I like the mushroom garnish you have in the bowl! So, I tired to make one like it and it was a disaster... could you give me a little tip?

thx.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Garnish Reply with quote

Bee wrote:
I like the mushroom garnish you have in the bowl! So, I tired to make one like it and it was a disaster... could you give me a little tip?

I blanched some cremini for a couple minutes in fully simmering water, then removed them and allowed them to cool for a minute so I could handle them. Then I took one and used a paring knife to cut the grooves. Just hold the knife over the mushroom cap and angle it 45 degrees. Then press the knife genlty down onto the cap so it cuts in (I don't use a slicing motion for this). Then I pull out the knife and angle it -45 degrees and press in removing a sliver of the mushroom cap. I repeated two more times to form a six pointed star.
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Deveined" Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:
The celery should also be rinsed and deveined.

It suddenly struck me that the word was in fact de-vein, as in to remove the tough veins from the celery.

Doh!

Many errors, of a truth, consist merely in the application of the
wrong names of things--Spinoza
Kentuckygal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Cream of Mushroom soup Reply with quote

The soup is great and the recipe format is so simple and concise. So enjoy.
Big Angry1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: For the lushes... Reply with quote

For the adventerous at heart: to give the soup a hearty flavor, try adding a couple of ounces of fine scotch to the veggies just as you are finished cooking them. This is similar to de-glazing a pan with wine after cooking meat. The flavor of the whiskey complements the flavors of the onions, leeks, and mushrooms. I was amazed at the complexity of the flavor. Enjoy.
textibule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not entirely accurate to qualify this recipe with : "has the taste and consistency of the soup everyone is familiar with".

You really mean "everyone in the USA who was brought up with Campbell's canned soup." Most of my neighbors here in the SW of France wouldn't quite get it.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textibule wrote:
It is not entirely accurate to qualify this recipe with : "has the taste and consistency of the soup everyone is familiar with".

You really mean "everyone in the USA who was brought up with Campbell's canned soup." Most of my neighbors here in the SW of France wouldn't quite get it.

Haha, good point. I'll clarify my statement in the article. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Using Morel mushrooms Reply with quote

Do you have any suggestions about using morel mushrooms instead of button mushrooms? They are a tougher mushroom and I wonder if they would need to be cooked considerably longer than buttons.
chasta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: where is the milk?!? Reply with quote

you f#king discriminator! do you have something against dairy products?!? racist!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: