Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calphalon de-anodized...safe to eat the food?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: above message Reply with quote

CORRECTION:
when I typed above: That's fine, but now I can cook ANYTHING acidic like pasta sauce, chili..etc. Those are everyday foods to me. I'm very disappointed and can see I will have to treat this expensive pan like a baby. Gary

I meant to type: CANNOT COOK ANYTHING ACCIDIC LIKE PASTA SAUCE, CHILI, ETC WHICH I CONSIDER EVERYDAY FOODS FOR THIS NOT SO EVERYDAY PAN. I CAN SEE I'LL HAVE TO TREAT THIS EXPENSIVE PAN LIKE A BABY AND BE CAREFUL WHAT I COOK IN IT
GARY
NHCook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been cooking with Calphalon cookware for over 7 years now. Routinely I am sending the stock pots back for replacement as the coating is coming off and exposing the aluminum core in the bottom of every pan. I started with the commercial hard anodized pots. They were replaced with the newer Calphalon One infused anodized pots. Tomato sauces appear to be the most reactive. However this has never happened to the fry pans!! Why??

So where does the coating go?? What harm may this cause to the human body? Taking no more chances I have converted most of my stock pots to All-Clad LTD.

Calphalon has been excellent when it comes to customer service and cookware replacement but the coating issue is unacceptable and appears to be a problem they can not correct!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: silvering in my calphalon Reply with quote

Wow. I am really upset. Unlike everyone else on this posting page, I don't know how long my big calphalon pot that I got for my wedding gift 20 years ago has been silvered! I just noticed the pitting today! And to make matters worse, my 15 year old son had seizures when he was little and seemed to narrowly escape autism. My negligence in noticing this silvering until now will likely haunt me forever .. I am reduced to tears.
I go to great lengths to buy organic and refuse to use processed foods. All the while cooking what I thought were wholesome meals in my calphalon pot. I will NOT return it to the company. I am never cooking in anything again but my big stainless wok style frying pan and my big black cast iron skillet. And I will read up on foods that leach aluminum out of our bodies. I wonder how many more people are out there poisoning their kids? This is terrible. I will try to save up for a big cast iron pot to make my chili and lemon/lentil soup and everthing else in.
No wonder so many kids are autistic these days.
Anthony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Anodized Aluminum Cookware Reply with quote

Hey all, I actually have not had this happen to me. I don't cook with apples much so that could possibly be why.

But I use a anodized aluminum cookware instead and it makes a huge difference because it is stronger.

However, I am not saying that the acidity won't ever effect the coating. But I think the quality of the brand matters as well. I am a Gordon Ramsay fan and his cookware seems pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Calphalon Cookware De-Anodizing Reply with quote

We have been using Calphalon aluminum cookware for 20 years (it was a wedding present). The anodizing has come off the bottom half of the inside of all 3 pots, but not the frying pans. I've noticed that after cooking rhubarb, the pot is really shiny. I just cooked a vegetarian chili that had both tomatoes and lemon juice, and it had a strong acidic taste. I wonder if the leeched aluminum contributed to that taste. After reading these posts, I'm going to try and get them replaced; they are otherwise great pots.
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: AFAIK, "Alumina" is aluminum oxide. Al2O3. Reply with quote

I was a ceramics chemist at NASA for what it's worth.

Anonymous wrote:
There is a difference between aluminum oxide and alumina oxide. Manufacturers usually say they use alumina on their products because this is not poisoning. Aluminum is highly dangerous if ingested for longer periods. Aluminum is an essential nutrients, but in our society there seems to be a much greater chance of getting too much aluminum rather than too little. Here are some common sources of aluminum that you need to avoid if your hair test shows high aluminum: antiperspirants and underarm deodorants, aluminum cookware (especially dangerous if acid foods like tomatoes are cooked), beverages from aluminum cans, municipal drinking water which often has aluminum compounds added, baking powders, bleached flour, processed cheese, some table salts, some antacids, and breathing in dust when sanding with aluminum oxide sandpaper.
HarryJohnson66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why somehow it is not really advisable to cook with too much heat when using aluminum cooking ware because it would really affect the food and it is not that healthy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum