Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking with spreadsheets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipwap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Cooking with spreadsheets Reply with quote

My husband and I (both engineers) have been preparing a large Thanksgiving feast for both our families for many years now. We could not manage it without our color-coded spreadsheet which lists rows of dishes to be prepared along a time column axis. Color coding is used to represent appliances needed for each phase of preparation. And everything is aligned to be finished at the pre-designated dinner serving time. We assign tasks to various family members, who each know to consult the spreadsheet for time and task. Our families love to make fun of this geeky habit, but everyone appreciates its functionality (I think).
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cooking with spreadsheets Reply with quote

chipwap wrote:
My husband and I (both engineers) have been preparing a large Thanksgiving feast for both our families for many years now. We could not manage it without our color-coded spreadsheet which lists rows of dishes to be prepared along a time column axis. Color coding is used to represent appliances needed for each phase of preparation. And everything is aligned to be finished at the pre-designated dinner serving time. We assign tasks to various family members, who each know to consult the spreadsheet for time and task. Our families love to make fun of this geeky habit, but everyone appreciates its functionality (I think).

My first thought on reading this was, "Geez, get a life!"

On introspection, this is your life. Long live geekiness!

If you haven't seen it, be sure to view Weird Al Yankovic's "White and Nerdy". Of course, here white refers more to geek-culture than race. Your post underscores the fact that we have a culture. I repeat: long live geekiness!

Have a great Thanksgiving.
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, this is an awesome way to organize, especially if you're cooking for masses. In Fine Cooking magazine, they do something kind of similar, but it sounds like your system is more involved (and more techno-tastic). Any chance you'd be willing to share your system with the board?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, you should post it. The layout could be a great starting point to customize for many tasks/occasions.
Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't quite gotten around to a spreadsheet, but I have some personal wiki pages with notes on timelines and discoveries from Thanksgivings past, and notes-to-self for the future. This is important, since I really only make turkey once a year. Butterflied, then brined, then marinaded, then roasted...
eltonyo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooking is 50% love, 40% art, and 10% luck.

oddly... this site, because it is dedicated to engineers, think's it is 100% analytical and science-like.

as an engineer, i can say with complete confidence, that though i like a scientific break-down on things... i don't trust it more than the toilet paper that has to hold its integrity to wipe my arse.

my advice.... lighten up with the spreadsheets!

use (and trust) your head. for once.

better yet... use your imagination.

better yet.... Think Out Of The Box.

have fun. splurge. go krazy.

... get a life.

- Tony
Bunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but I'd rather not over-salt my turkey because I forgot how much I used last year, and I'd like to remember how long it really took to cook; little things like that. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum