Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

?User reviews? for Calphalon TriPly Saucier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimjimjim9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: ?User reviews? for Calphalon TriPly Saucier Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with this saucier?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=1&SKU=12473540

The specs seem right (aluminum core thruout).

At $39.95 (less 20% coupon), it seems to be the best deal I've found.

Comments?
danemodsandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: ?User reviews? for Calphalon TriPly Saucier Reply with quote

jimjimjim9 wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this saucier?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=1&SKU=12473540

The specs seem right (aluminum core thruout).

At $39.95 (less 20% coupon), it seems to be the best deal I've found.

Comments?

I have one comment: That thing has a glass lid, and trust me, you don't want it. Glass lids are something that are sold as a consumer benefit- they're actually a benefit to the manufacturer. You'll be told that you can see through a glass lid and watch your food cook. The truth is that steam condenses under the lid and negates the promised visibility. The reason that glass lids are so big with manufacturers is that they eventually break, hastening the day when you'll go shopping for new cookware. Don't think you can just conjure up a replacement lid when yours breaks- you'll usually find that the manufacturer no longer makes the line your lid was part of. Frequent line changes are intentional- they're intended to obsolete cookware that people already have. Spend the money on a KitchenAid tri-ply saucier (which has a stainless lid) instead; you'll be happier with it, because there is nothing about it that can break or otherwise let you down at a critical moment. I'm also suspicious of the low price on this Calphalon piece; it's about half of what a decent tri-ply saucier should cost. Calphalon is now owned by Newell Rubbermaid, and I'm seeing some quality changes in their products that trouble me a bit. That price is low for a reason, is my thinking.
jimjimjim9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points about the lid. I agree that multicomponent glass lids are inferior... perhaps best left for those that reach for the phone on impulse while watching QVC shopping network.

I am still curious about the parameters of the steel/aluminum pan itself vis a vis consistency of heat transfer and lack of hot spots. I plan to buy a saucier only for whisk work; the lid is unneeded and superfluous.

It would be nice if we could buy such cookware as we can plastic sheeting: it's all in the mils or microns of the thickness of the material. Your mention of degredation of quality thruout calphalon's line does not surprise me, and that's why I posted my question in the first place. I had hoped that the low price was a teaser to introduce people to the line and draw further purchases. Do you, or anyone else, have experience with this Tri-ply line regarding heat transfer?

Apologies for the QVC quip, but I'm gonna leave it in there. Smile
danemodsandy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim:

At such a low price, less a coupon discount, I'd just go ahead and buy the saucier and test it myself. Since the glass lid is not a drawback for you, if the saucier works, it works. If it doesn't, then a thrift store or a friend who's not picky about cookware gets a saucier, would be my approach. It's my honest belief (based in six years in the housewares biz, during which I taught cooking) that entirely too much is made of cookware "quality" anyway. You'd be surprised how competent the old Farberware (the original with the aluminium-clad bottom) was. Even James Beard liked it.

The trick in making sauces is control of the heat source, especially important when you're tackling egg-thickened sauces like Hollandaise or Bearnaise. Many aspiring cooks get it into their heads somehow that they should be able to buy a perfect pan and a perfect stove, and leave the pan on the burner while they make the sauce. It really does not work that way. When you're whisking a Hollandaise or Bearnaise, you should control the heat by picking up the pan if things get a little warm, which you can tell by looking for little wisps of steam. Pick the pan up off the burner, and continue whisking; the retained heat in the pan will continue thickening the egg, but no more heat will be added to the pan, to make your eggs scramble. As the pan cools a bit, put it back on the burner to let it pick up some more heat. Up, down, up, down, whisk, whisk- you get the idea.

I've been faced with making Hollandaise for a family brunch using a piece of Corning Ware and a whisk that was probably bought at Woolworth's in 1968 or so. By using the technique I just mentioned, the sauce turned out perfectly. I worked with a lot of very good chefs when I taught, and I was struck by how little importance they attached to having a particular type of equipment. They were much more focussed on using their knowledge and technique to make the most of whatever equipment was available.

jimjimjim9 wrote:
Good points about the lid. I agree that multicomponent glass lids are inferior... perhaps best left for those that reach for the phone on impulse while watching QVC shopping network.

I am still curious about the parameters of the steel/aluminum pan itself vis a vis consistency of heat transfer and lack of hot spots. I plan to buy a saucier only for whisk work; the lid is unneeded and superfluous.

It would be nice if we could buy such cookware as we can plastic sheeting: it's all in the mils or microns of the thickness of the material. Your mention of degredation of quality thruout calphalon's line does not surprise me, and that's why I posted my question in the first place. I had hoped that the low price was a teaser to introduce people to the line and draw further purchases. Do you, or anyone else, have experience with this Tri-ply line regarding heat transfer?

Apologies for the QVC quip, but I'm gonna leave it in there. Smile
BakerBob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$$ Buy it. Buy it. Buy it $$ You'll be soooo happy.

I assist at SurLaTable culinary department, and have used many a All-Clad. But the All-Clad handles are NOT comfortable for ME.

Anyways, I bought the same exact saucier/chef pan that you are asking about last year.

I did a intensive 4 day Sauce class. Did nothing but sauces for 32 hours. If that doesn't test the this pan, I don't know what will.
Heats evenly. Clean up excellent. Gently sloped sides work like a dream.

I also have the TWO of the Calphalon tr-ply 5qt saute pan, a 8qt stockpot, and a 2 qt sauce pan.

The only thing I don't like is worrying about the glass lids. Can't stack lids ontop of each other, like you would with ss lids. I really baby my stuff, but if you have limited space or are careless, you may not be so lucky.

As far as the price: The tri-ply you're looking at , is Calphalon's older style. That is why it is reasonably price. You can find it at BB&B, Linen-N-Things, and sometimes at Ross's. (Got each of my 5qt sauce pan for $25 at Ross's).
The newer line is called "contemporary" - has sleeker lines on the handle and on the lid.
Hey, but the old line works just fine for me.

btw- Do not put in the dishwasher (soap is too harsh). Simply clean with liquid dish soap or BarKeepers Friend.
enjoy
Masset

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ?User reviews? for Calphalon TriPly Saucier Reply with quote

danemodsandy wrote:

I have one comment: That thing has a glass lid, and trust me, you don't want it. Glass lids are something that are sold as a consumer benefit- they're actually a benefit to the manufacturer. You'll be told that you can see through a glass lid and watch your food cook. The truth is that steam condenses under the lid and negates the promised visibility. The reason that glass lids are so big with manufacturers is that they eventually break, hastening the day when you'll go shopping for new cookware. Don't think you can just conjure up a replacement lid when yours breaks- you'll usually find that the manufacturer no longer makes the line your lid was part of. Frequent line changes are intentional- they're intended to obsolete cookware that people already have.

My experience with glass lids have been quite different. I've had mine from a Analon professional set for about 10 years. I have not had any break in that time. I'm currently assemblling a Bourgeat set and found that the lids are the same size, so instead of buying the copper lids for $30-$80 a piece, I am reusing them, as I prefer the glass lids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum