Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To get hottest oven, add Mass of Pizza stone, or not?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirSpice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas oven I have at home has a cleaning function which gets the oven extremely hot (enough to cremate food residue). I don't know if it goes up to 700, but it does go well above 500. You can't use it to cook because the oven door locks, but it surely doesn't burn down the house.

I can still get an excellent crust with my pizza stone in a 500 degree oven.
IndyRob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experimented with putting a pizza stone on both coal and gas grills. Either will get you up past 700 degrees. I can get a cast iron pan on my gas grill (which I use for searing steaks) to about 760 dgrees. I think it was similar for the stone.

So far, my experiments have been failures, but not so dismal that they didn't show some real potential. The problem, of course, is that the bottom of the pizza will be carbonized long before anything happens up top. But in evaluating the failures closely, I'm convinced that a successful method would produce results superior to what I can get in my oven at 550.

Attempts at rushing the pizza from the stone to the oven broiler have proven unwieldy and I don't think they're likely to yield successful results. Right now, I'm thinking that a temporary stone oven constructed by using pizza stones for the roof and floor, and bricks for walls might be the best bet. But it's a little too cold to be out playing with the grill right now.

Warning: The stone used on the charcoal grill cracked after the second firing.
cosmiclobster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having made pizzas all day long for a few years in a NY restaurant, I can shed some light on this situation.
The reason for having pizza cooked on a stone (which are usually 4 to 6 inches thick), is to retain it's heat when a cold pizza is placed on it. It takes several hours for the stone to get up to temp, and the normal temp of a pizza oven is between 525 to 575 F (it has been a long time, sorry, but I know it is no where near 700 F).
For the dough to cook thoroughly, it needs a constant temp of about 550 for 3.5 minutes. If the pizza is cooked on a tray or a rack, then the dough's outside gets browned or burnt but the inside stays raw. The thermal mass of the stone is high enough to keep cooking the dough the entire time the pizza is in the oven. The cheese will melt and the sauce will cook just right in the 3.5 minutes.
I have no experience with cooking on a wood fired oven at 700 F, but at those temps, it's gonna cook quickly. It's hard tpo imagine that the dough will cook thoroughly and the top of the cheese will not get burnt before it melts.
I can add that after cooking a pizza on a stone, you must rotate to an unused section of the stone and let the last position get back up to temp for 10 minutes. Our ovens had room for 4 pies and you had to place the pies in sequence to let the stone temp recover.
Ari

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: temperature of pizza stone Reply with quote

I often place my 3/4" thick pizza stone on the floor of my gas oven at the oven's maximum temperature setting of 525F. After letting it heat up for an hour, my infrared thermometer indicates that the pizza stone gets up to about 625F (and the emissivity of the matte gray stone is probably close to the 0.95 assumed by my thermometer). This is hot enough to cook a pizza (although, apparently, the ideal way to cook a thin-crust pizza is 900F for 1 minute), but since the oven's air temperature is lower than the stone's temperature, the cheese cooks more slowly than the crust. I have solved this problem by first cranking the oven up to 525F until the stone reaches 625F. Then, I insert the pizza onto the stone, and as soon as I get it into the oven, I change the oven setting to broil to attack the cheese from the top. I get a perfect crust and a perfectly-browned cheesy top in about 7 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum