Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soaking Beans(?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheff Wannabee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Beans, beans, the musical fruit... Reply with quote

Through out most of my childhood we ate bean soup because that was all we could afford. I remember my mom soaking the beans for hours and hours. But when she was done, we had THE best bean soup in the county! Later in years when I was starting my own family I decided to try my hand at mom's famous soup. But the engineering side of me kicked in. Why spend all that time in a soak when I could be cooking? And city water is way too expensive to just be throwing it down the drain. So I just threw the beans into the boiling water in a cast iron kettle, added some onion, ham and bacon, set it to a simmer then walked away for a couple hours. Except for occasional pot checks. When it was done, the beans were nice and tender and flavorful. Because of that success, I never soak the beans.

I'm a bit appalled that some people complain about the beans not being soft enough. That is why we were born with teeth, to actually chew with! Big smile Maybe they should put some beans in a blender with some ice and milk and have a Bean Smoothie! jk After 40 years I have perfected (in my opinion) the recipe. I use twenty different kinds of beans including Garbanzos which I add specifically for their firmer texture, three to four kinds of meat, colorful veggies like red and green bell peppers and carrots, and sometimes corn. This recipe is posted on allrecipes.com and has some nice reviews.

As for the gas, it's okay with me. I find that it increases my cars gas mileage significantly. Just my two cents worth.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do you soak beans? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
The reason for soaking beans is to reduce the phytic acid that chelates minerals and prevents their absorption by the human body - it is for NUTRITIONAL reasons. Wisdom from the ages...

That's good information but I don't think our forefathers were considering chelated minerals when they started soaking beans. More likely it was to reduce the cooking time. Stoves ran on fire, and less stoking and reloading with firewood, the better.
tidyswoop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It removes the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that may cause you gas, heartburn or reflux.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love bean and bean products . low calorie and high protein . very good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum