Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: cookies don't necessarily need eggs Reply with quote

I'm allergic to eggs too. I can tolerate them in cookies if I don't eat too many of them (I know, how do you define "too many"). But if your daughter can't handle any, you can just leave the egg out. You will have a more shortbread type texture (which would be fine with me, as I like my chocolate chip cookies crisp, but there are those "chewy" fans), but the taste in these cookies is in the brown sugar and chocolate pieces. You may have to add a little less flour, depending on your flour, and I would press the cookies flat, either with your fingers or the bottom of a glass dipped in flour. The egg helps them spread out. You could also add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, to substitute for the fat in the egg. I do that frequently when not using egg.

If you really want chewy, you could substitute some ground nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans) for some of the flour. About half a cup should do. (I'm one of those "just throw some of that in" type of cooks, so I frequently don't know how much of something I use. I go by consistency.) (So why am I posting on a site for Engineers?) A lot of people like to put nuts in their chocolate chip cookies, so it wouldn't be an odd taste.
Hotlil57

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies Reply with quote

Is that ME cooking? I busted out laughing when I read the 'letting the butter soften and doing your business and remembering you were baking cookies'. Thank you for that; I'm not alone!
Criztine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Ruth Wakefield's Recipe Reply with quote

Quote:
Chocolate chip cookies

Ruth Wakefield [June 17, 1903-January 10, 1977], Whitman Mass., is credited for inventing chocolate chip cookies at her Toll House Restaurant in the early 1930s. According to the story, Ruth used a Nestle candy bar for her chips. We will probably never know if Ruth was the very first person to put chocolate pieces in cookies, but she is certainly the one who made them famous. Nestle began marketing Ruth's chocolate chip cookies to the general public in 1941. The caption under the photograph printed by the New York Times (January 2, 1985 I 12:5) describing the fire that destroyed Ruth Wakefield's kitchen the reads "Wreckage of Toll House Restaurant in Whitman, Mass. It was where the chocolate chip cookie was invented." In the July, 1997 Governor Weld signed legislation that declared chocolate chip cookies to be the *official cookie of the Commonwealth* in honor or Ruth Wakefield (much to the dismay of the Fig Newton faction).

Mrs. Wakefield's original recipe

"Toll House Chocolate Crunch Cookies
Cream 1 cup butter, add 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 2 eggs beaten whole. Dissolve 1 tsp. Soda in 1 tsp. Hot water, and mix alternately with 2 1/4 cups flour sifted with 1 tsp. Salt. Lastly add 1 cup chopped nuts and 2 bars (7-oz.) Nestles yellow label chocolate, semi-sweet, which has been cut in pieces the size of a pea. Flavor with 1 tsp vanilla and drip half teaspoons on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes in 375 degrees F. Oven. Makes 100 cookies."
---Toll House Tried and True Recipes, Ruth Wakefield [M. Barrows:New York] 1947 (p. 216)

The Hershey's 1934 Cookbook contains a recipe for "Chocolatetown chip cookies" (p. 75) that includes a 12 ounce package of Hershey's Baking Chips.

Ms. Wakefield's cookbook collection is currently located at the Henry Whittemore Library of Framingham State College (MA).

Someone please try this recipe (like Mr. Chu perhaps?)
I'd like to hear your opinion IF maybe this recipe actually seems better to anyone else.
Thank you.
JuliaZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Lower-sugar versions Reply with quote

I've been making my version of these cookies for nearly 30 years now, and have a few preferences I thought I'd share.
- Use Splenda (3/4 cup) instead of the white sugar; this helps reduce the sugar somewhat if you have diabetics around as I do, and it makes a lighter, fluffier cookie that many people seem to prefer.
- Don't use the Splenda brown sugar substitute. It's half white sugar anyway, and the texture suffers quite a bit. I use dark brown sugar or light brown sugar and a tablespoon of either molasses or Grade A Dark Amber maple syrup.
- I usually add up to 3 Tbsp (not tsp) of Ceylon cinnamon powder. I also grate fresh nutmeg (a 1/4 - 1/3 of a nutmeg) into the batter. These were named "Chocolate Chip Love Cookies" by Buddy Guy at the Blushing Zebra folk club in Philadelphia in 1988, and that's what my family still calls them. I made about 20 dozen of these cookies a week for the Blushing Zebra in an apartment-sized oven. Smile I lasted two years before I had to take a break, and then I got hooked on making banana muffins instead.
- I always use large eggs as others have noted
- I always use butter. Margarine is good for something, but it has nothing to do with food.
- I don't sift my flour but I don't exactly measure it either. I could make these cookies while nearly asleep and I know when it looks right. While teaching my 7 year old how to make my cookies, I discovered that I usually scoop ~2.5 cups of flour, not 2.25 as the recipe calls for. C'est la vie.
- I mix the chocolate chips in with my hand blender on low speed.. I've been using the same Kitchen Aid for 21 years now. My husband just got me a Kitchen Aid super-duper stand mixer for Christmas and I'm sure I'll have to ditch that habit to avoid having chocolate shards instead of chips. LOL
lilibon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Reply with quote

I've found in making the cookies from the recipe on the back of the bag, that the more butter or margerine that i use, or extra brown sugar (use of either depending on the day!) greatly influences the texture/flavor of the cookies. The more of either makes a yummier cookie!
I've also only used a mixer once or twice, much prefering the texture and taste of the cookies when hand mixed.
Oh, yes, and thank you, I'm finally beginning to understand the mind of engineers, just from reading this one recipe (and here I was merely looking for a recipe for fudge!!) Fascinating! Thank you

lilibon
robin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: tollhouse cookie md Reply with quote

I've been "using' the recipe from the bag for years with the following modifications: 1) I use butter-flavor Crisco (in the sticks) instead of butter-don't have to wait for it to soften; 2) I use half semi-sweet and half white chocolate chips, NO nuts; 3) I save the last couple tablespoons of the flour mixture to coat the chips before mixing them in - for me they seem to disperse into the mixture easier; and 4) most importantly, I scoop the dough up in rounded teaspoons full and roll the cookies in granulated sugar before placing on cookie sheet - gives the cookies a really nice crisp sugary outside with a chewy inside. They are still obviously homemade BUT the sugar gives them a fancy bakery look. I also used this last step on the rare occasion that I buy the freezer-block of toll-house cookies.
My mother's recipe:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Toll House Cookies- Make your own, they are better Reply with quote

I recently performed a taste test between the Toll House mixture you can buy in the refrigerator case in the Supermarket and the mix on the bag. Home made ones are better. It is possible to mix up your own and freeze little squares. This does help in portion control, and I am soon going to calculate the price: but I estimate that the price will come out to be for the price of one package, it might be possible to make 5 recipes. I wonder if anyone knows what other bad stuff might be in the prepared one to motivate us to make our own?
Naomi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: peanut butter Reply with quote

Has any one ever made toll house cookies with peanut butter in them? Not the Pbutter chips actual peanut butter and if so could I have the recipe? Smile
Dragon Lady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Peanut Butter in your TollHouse Cookies Reply with quote

I substitute "SUPER CRUNCHIE" peanut butter for 1/2 of the butter, adding it AFTER the butter and sugar are already well blended.

This makes it CRITICAL that you chill the dough before baking.

I'm also a big fan of doubling the vanilla (in just about everything I make)..
DragonLady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Peanut Butter in Toll House Cookies Reply with quote

And, Wink of course, leave out the walnuts
student

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Vanilla Extract Reply with quote

Is it possible to substitute vanilla extract with vanilla essence? If possible, am i supposed to use 5 mL of vanilla essence in place of vanilla extract? Will the end product/taste be the same?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is vanilla essence? Do you mean the brown liquid stuff in the bottle that is 35% alcohol? If it is, that sounds like vanilla extract.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Butter Temperature Reply with quote

To the guy in Australia:

The warmer the butter the flatter the cookie.

This tends to not be an issue in places like Seattle where it never is that warm but I have moved to Thailand and found that if I cream my butter for the same amount of time as I am used to back in the States it has gotten too warm and the cookies turn out flat. That and the flour protein issue mentioned above will make for a flat cookie.
Vince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Milk Chocolate instead of semi-sweet? Reply with quote

Hi, I recently bought a bag of chocolate chips to make this recipe, but then I realized that it was a bag of milk chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet chocolate chips the recipe calls for. Can I still make the recipe with milk chocolate chips with success? Has anyone else tried this and are there any adjustments I should make? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this topic.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Milk Chocolate instead of semi-sweet? Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Hi, I recently bought a bag of chocolate chips to make this recipe, but then I realized that it was a bag of milk chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet chocolate chips the recipe calls for. Can I still make the recipe with milk chocolate chips with success? Has anyone else tried this and are there any adjustments I should make? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this topic.

You can just go ahead and make the recipe with milk chocolate chips. The chocolate will be sweeter and have a different taste, but the cookies will still be great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: