Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
embo500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Preheat the pan as well! Reply with quote

One thing of note: When I make these, as the oven is preheating and you're mixing your ingredients, I like to put the pan into the oven so it is preheated as well.

If you don't, and your batch requires more than one trip to the oven for this pan, your first batch will turn out differently because the pan has to come up to temp, while it is already hot for the remaining batches.

Preheating the pan as well results in better consistency for all cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Chunky Cookies Reply with quote

I've been working for years to figure out my fathers version of this favorite, he made them and they always turned out thick and chunky, and lumpy and had kind of a soft center, and they where wounderful! I miss this and he choose not to share this with me, I was woundering if any one had any ideas as to what I could do to recreate this. From what I can remember, he added 1/4 bakeing soda and 1/4 cup of extra flour. I have not bee brave enough to try this yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Chunky chocolate chip cookils Reply with quote

I ment to say he added 1/4 of baking powder, and an extrea 1/4 cup of flour
Josh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Thick cookies Reply with quote

America's Test Kitchen puts out a CCC recipe for a large, thick, and chewy cookie that should hold up well to mailing as a gift assuming an air tight container. My only complaint is that they are a little bit "cakey" which was a problem for my wife, but for me I thought they were quite perfect. ATK has a great cookbook, why tinker when someone else has already done it? Engineers make a habit of building off the experimental results of others and baking is no time to be making an exception!
cookieBaker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: adjust recipe Reply with quote

Because the recipe was created in the "olden days", I hand mix and bake them on old-fashioned cookie sheets. They come out crispy, crunchy perfect.

I have an original recipe from a 6oz. bag of Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chips dating back to the 70s. It has 1/4 tsp water in the ingredient list. Although labor-intensive, I mix batches of this recipe and never double it.

I don't like overly sweet and soft cookies. I reduce both white and brown sugar by 1/3, and reduce the chocolate chips by 1/2 and add more as needed while I drop the cookies onto sheets.

I use unsalted butter, light brown sugar, double the nuts, and am generous with the vanilla. Again, because the original recipe is old, I use medium sized or small "large" egg. I don't think the large egg of the 70s were as large as they are today.

I bake these for my office and our annual bake sale. They're usually gone in minutes. Thanks for letting me share my secrets.
Bobbi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Using Bread Flour for Chocolate Chip Cookies Reply with quote

My secret ingredient for CCC is using white bread flour instead of all purpose. I also have a convection oven which makes the outside crispy while the inside stays moist and chewy. My kids love em!!! Happy Baking!!
Doris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Softening Butter Reply with quote

Thanks for a fantastic site! I'm not an engineer but I love your recipe charts and the photos.

A tip: An easy way to soften butter quickly and evenly is to unwrap the whole stick, cut into slices and stick them around the sides your mixing bowl. It softens much faster (in minutes) and there's not so much butter stuck to the wrapper.

When you're ready to cream the butter, just scrape the pieces together with a spatula.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Softening Butter Reply with quote

Doris wrote:
A tip: An easy way to soften butter quickly and evenly is to unwrap the whole stick, cut into slices and stick them around the sides your mixing bowl. It softens much faster (in minutes) and there's not so much butter stuck to the wrapper.

When you're ready to cream the butter, just scrape the pieces together with a spatula.

That's a great idea--using the mixing bowl as a heat sink.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: To Jack in Australia Reply with quote

If your cookies are turning out too thin and crisp, I can think of two possible reasons why: (a) altitude, and (b) the protein content of your flour.

In the first case, if you are over 1000 m in altitude, you can make the following adjustments to your recipe: Reduce sugar by 1/4 c (4 Tbsp) total; add 2 Tbsp water; and add 1/4 c flour (this assumes the standard-size Toll House Cookie recipe).

In the second case, which I betcha is the more likely issue, it turns out that the all-purpose flours in many countries don't have as much protein/gluten in them as U.S. AP flour does. That protein adds a bit of tensile strength to the cookie, preventing it from spreading as much. If you are using lower-protein flour, your cookies may have an almost peculiarly sandy, crumbly texture.

I'm not going to go into huge detail here, but AP flour is about 12% protein in the U.S. Elsewhere, standard flours might contain as little as 7-9% protein (more like U.S. "pastry flour"). This makes a noticeable difference in the outcome of baked goods. FYI, cake flour in the U.S. is usually 5-6% protein.

To correct that second problem, I suggest the following: (a) mix the dough a bit longer than usual after adding the flour, to activate what gluten you have; (b) add another 1/4 cup (and possibly as much as 1/2 cup) flour, and/or (c) refrigerate your dough for 2-3 hours before shaping and baking. If you want to go whole-geek, you can contact the flour manufacturers, ask them (if they'll tell you) what the protein content of their flours are, and then mix your own blends of bread flour and other flours to come up with a product that is about 12% protein.

My final caveats are (a) the elasticity of unbleached flour is more than that of bleached flour. This means that a bleached flour cookie will probably spread a bit more than an unbleached one; and (b) be certain that your measuring cups, if you didn't obtain them in the U.S., are measuring the correct amounts. That is, your "cup" should be 240-250 ml, your Tbsp 15 ml, your tsp 5 ml.

There are less enjoyable things to experiment with than cookie dough.

--Chuck
connie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Crispy & Rounded Reply with quote

I'm trying to duplicate the rounded and crunchy cookies that I
remember from my childhood. I'm hoping for cookies that hold
their shape

Sounds to me like all crisco (hate to do that) or 1/2 butter and
1/2 crisco result in this kind of cookie.

Has anyone perfected this type of cookie? Any ideas about the best
combination of brown and white sugar?

Love the web site! Thank you!
Crixtine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: doing it my way Reply with quote

I use the original recipe by Ruth Wakefield:
http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Toll%20house%20chocolate%20crunch%20cookies
I use room temperature butter and eggs and everything else,
BUT,
I freeze the chocolate chips and the already chopped pecans.
I put the salt in with the baking soda and water and mix well.
Then I add the flour last and mix only till incorporated.
I then add the frozen chip and pecans and get immediately chilled dough!!!
Also, I use a cookie scoop and place the dough balls next to each other on a cookie sheet and place the sheet in the freezer. After freezing I wrap them in double Ziplock bags (the large ones) and I have my very own ready bake Toll House cookies. Cool http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Toll%20house%20chocolate%20crunch%20cookies
I can't stress how good these cookies are. Cool Cool Cool
tina peterson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: toll house cookies Reply with quote

Used the Semi sweet bars and everything to the letter. Only difference I used Lurpak Danish Butter, from the supermarket, which I believe is specially made for baking. I made small cookies with teaspoon size drops, and they all came out 1/2 inch thick and 1 inch diameter, just perfect bitesize and I got 60 cookies. Some batches I cooked 7 minutes which made them more gooey, others 8 min for regular cookie consistency. I belive the butter made all the difference.
Desperately searching

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: 6oz cookie original toll house cookie recipe Reply with quote

CookieBaker would you please print your original 6oz recipe. Unfortunately, mine got tossed, and I have been desperately searching for it ever since. It makes the most wonderful cookies. Thanks, and I appreciate it!
Angela

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Connie (above). I like tiny, crunchy, Famous-Amos type chocolate chip cookies. Searching the net, it's unbelievable that I can't find a recipe that states it produces such cookies! The closest I've found are cookies that are "thin and crispy". But I don't want thin. I want small, rounded, bite-sized cookies....

Help, guys!
Allergic to Eggs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Allergic to Eggs Reply with quote

I have been making this recipe for years and love it. Problem is my daughter is allergic to eggs. Any suggestion for a substitute for eggs in this recipe that works? Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: