Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ThermoPen TimeStick Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: ThermoPen TimeStick Review Reply with quote

"Time Stick" Review

made by Thermoworks - the folks of the famous, and best 'instant read' thermometer - got one, I have to agree with their opinion....
it's a timer, on a lanyard. what's the big deal?

pix etc. - see
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/timers/timestick.html

one can buy an electronic timer most anywhere for $2-$3 - what makes this worth $25?

a primary reason - see the pix - it has a "keypad entry" - if you want to set it for 45 minutes you don't have to press-and-press-and-press the "Min" key 45 times. . . . . .

the "keyboard" has a distinct tactile feedback/click feeling.
that also means it's rather difficult to toss it in your pocket and get an accidental keypress. which has happened to me - carrying the timer around, suddenly dawns on me 'what's with the time' only to find out I've "pocket pushed" the STOP button - and have not a flipping clue as to how much time is left / gone over.

example, to set for 45 minutes:
(from it's default clock 'sleep' state)
- press Mode (defaults to count-down timer)
- click keyboard buttons: 4-5-0-0
- press 'Start'

other neat thing.... it is always "on" - as they say, like a digital watch - don't have to push the Stop button to make it Start.
- it has a clock time function - that is shown after some idle period as "default" - usefulness: questionable
- "sealed" button detent 'keyboard' - easy to clean up after use with goopy fingers
- the shape & size allow east "one hand operation" - those little square/rectangular timers generally need one hand to hold them and one hand to push the buttons.

one downer - the "lanyard" is not really long enough to use as a neck strap.
using a mini-Bulldog clip - my plan B, easy on, easy off.....
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a TimeStick, but not for $25. Like you said, you can get cheap ones for 3-4 bucks. In fact, there's one I like so much I buy them 6 at a time

I love those "bulldog" clips (never heard that term before). A few years ago a stationary store was going out of business and I bought about 6 boxes (in asst. sizes) at 50 cents a piece. Use them for everything!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the current price is $19....

which is still a bit of smashing pricey, but.....

I think "Bull Dog" is/was/(?) a brand name...?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the splash-proof quality of the timer is also what makes it cost more and a fairly unique aspect compared to many other handheld timers. It's rated IP65 which wikipedia informs me means:
Quote:
Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
Test duration: at least 15 minutes
Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute
Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m

Is that worth $19-25? (Or $16-22 more than a $3 timer? Depending on your job / where you use it, possibly...)
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I love the fact that ThermoPen is subsidizing the website. You know that because I asked about how an IR thermometer reads oil in a black, cast iron can. I may break down and eventually buya ThermoPen

But spending 25 (or 19) bucks for timer is ridiculous! I don't care if it's waterproof to a depth of 600 feet, a box a of these will out-last a TimeStick:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/taylor-584221-mini-single-event-commercial-kitchen-timer/6085842.html

BTW, what batteries does it take? Reminds me of my damned ohm-meter. I've spent more on batteries than the damn thing costed me in the first place!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Jim, I totally agree that I wouldn't pay $19 for a waterproof timer... I'd just learn to use my phone and ipod more often for that purpose... but since I HAD it, I got used to using it...

I was just pointing out that the feature list is pretty nice for a timer (keypad instead of an hour/min button, splashproof, etc) but all those "nice" features have to be weighed against whether or not the price is worth it and that answer will be different for different people.

It takes a single CR2032 battery.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a slightly different view point on some of this.

stuff that really excels at its task and "lasts forever" I'm willing to shell out a couple more bucks than 'obviously justified' - otoh, I'm real short on patience tapping the minute button 30 times to set a timer....

months later I don't recall the pain of the price tag, but when I opt to use the el-cheapo in the drawer, the 'push the button xxx times' pain reoccurs at every use.

the TimeStick does its task extremely well - it's simple, straightforward, no frills, no need to dig out the instruction every time you want to use it, fast, convenient one-handed, easy to carry about without pocket dialing a boo-boo, doesn't make coffee or toast, but what it do do, it do veddy well.

the clock mode I could live without - but that's "at home me" - a professional in the kitchen, no wrist watch, it's a clock without having to haul out the $600 iPhone and goop up the phone to see what time it be....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum