Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maltodextrin Blues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude111

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i could do that i suppose but the taste wouldnt be the same Mike Sad

I would need all the stuff lipton uses (Silicone Dioxide,etc) to get it to taste exactly like thiers........
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>to get it to taste exactly like thiers.......

not really. if you start checking into "what does what" you'll likely find many of those odd-ball things are zero-taste components but more for preservation, flowability, non-caking, etc etc yadda yadda
JOHN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Allergies, sensitivity and poison Reply with quote

I am weighing in late, and no one may read this, but for those still around the chemicals they put in food are poisons. This is not a problem with emune systems, it is not allergies if it is chemically induced. Some people as an example have more taste buds which increases the sensation to hot peppers. This means they feel the heat more intensly. It is not an allergy it is a difference in the makeup of their body.

The same is true for chemicals in food. Some people are less tolerant to being poisoned just like some people can get bitten by a Black Widow or Brown Recluse and sufer minimal damage while others can have serious conditions arise.

What most fail to realize is products like Synthetic MSG kill brain cells in everyone, you just don't fell it. And after awhile you may be too dumb to notice.

If you are interested in help and discussions with others that suffer from food poisoning you might drop by our WEB site http://healthyliving.rmtrain. com or http://healthylife.rmtrain. com. We offer and share experiences and advice on how to avoid these dangrerous chemicals.

By banning together we are already making a difference and will continue to push for safe foods. In the meantime, cooking from scratch is the safest alternative. We share recipes and how to techniques and hope you will share in kind.

John G
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosh. so much "proof" there. wild claims, few facts.

oh, I do have a question - with regard to comments on your site, why do you insist on no spam on your site but figure it's okay to spam other sites?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't view it as spam since he truly believes that we are all being poisoned. I've come to believe that to some people beliefs about their food is on the same order of religious beliefs - it's faith based and not analytical or logical.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
He doesn't view it as spam since he truly believes that we are all being poisoned. I've come to believe that to some people beliefs about their food is on the same order of religious beliefs - it's faith based and not analytical or logical.

Such thinking is a field day if you've read Freud in any detail.
"From below to above"
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>religious

dunno, but ignorous sure fits...

/q not a problem with emune systems
WTF, over?
/q it is not allergies if it is chemically induced
some people drop dead after eating shellfish - which of course we all know are pure chemicals
or peanuts, which is an obvious GMO faux food invention from Monsanto
/q sufer minimal damage
this only happens with small waves which ruin your day; they lack an R
any good German who can't roll 'is R's has trouble surfing
/q you just don't fell it
George Washington felled the cherry tree, it's just the people who ate the chemical shellfish that fell over
/q cooking from scratch is the safest alternative
bull feathers. I can add MSG to anything.

how can these people expect intelligent life to take any of it even remotely seriously?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this while googling maltodextrin as I have just discovered a sensitivity to it.

I get SERIOUS gastroinstestinal distress. And I almost never have stomach issues so I couldn't figure out what was going on for months. Finally I narrowed it down to maltodextrin and as long as I don't eat any at all, I feel perfectly fine.

But much to my horror I have now discovered that many food companies are using it in their product because it is "natural". I bought some UNSWEETENED tomato ketchup from our natural food store. No artificial preservatives yada yada.

Today I went and checked out the ingredients. oh. Maltodextrin.

Anyway finding posts like some of the above helped me a lot when I was first realizing what was going on because all official sources tout maltodextrin as natural with no side effects and it caused me to doubt myself.

I thought I would share my story in the hopes that it will help someone else as well.
Dude111

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NOTHING NATURAL about this crap......

It was certainly NOT NEEDED in reg lipton iced tea and i refuse to "GET USED TO THE TASTE" just because they are BRAINDEAD MORONS WHO RUINED THE BEST ICED TEA I EVER HAD!!

I think its sad though,THEY WONT EVEN TALK TO YOU,TRY TO HELP YOU..... Its like saying "screw you,we changed it and you no longer have the good flavour you remember .... Now its artifical/bad ingredients AND WE DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK" .. (Thats the attitude of most companies (at least in the USA where food is under attack))

Im sick of it all!

Last edited by Dude111 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad I found this post.

I'm a runner who suffers from 'Runners Trots' on my long runs. During the last 4 years, all my marathons have ended badly. Every race, I am scrambling to find a restroom. Typically, I take enough Imodium AD to make it through. Even on my training runs, I often have to 'run into the woods'. Everyone says it's my diet. The problem is I eat as healthy as one can.

It wasn't until I purchased some instant flavored coffee where I found the problem. As soon as drank the coffee, my stomach went nuts. The main ingredient is Maltodextrin.

It all makes sense now. Most of us marathoners take this GU gel to get the carbs we need. All gels on market contain Maltodextrin. I suspected the GU was given me problems, but I thought I was the one brand and have tried many different types.

I had a couple of races from hell (where I spent more time in the port a john than the race course). Looking back at those races, I remember them giving out Heed sports drink, which contains Maltodextrin. I seem to do ok with Gatorade, which does not contain Maltodextrin.

I've heard of many runners with sensitivity to these GU's. One product that seems to work for those with this sensitivity is Cliff Shot Blocks. This product contains 'organic maltodextrin'. I'm guessing this is the same stuff.

I'm going to attempt to avoid maltodextrin and see how my next marathon goes. Maybe, after thousands of miles training, I found the problem!!!
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i hope you have figured out your problem Smile

I got an email back from Lipton today and they said this

Quote:
Hello
Thank you for writing us regarding Lipton Natural Lemon Iced Tea .

All the labels for Lipton Iced Tea mixes have been redesigned and ingredient declarations and nutritionals were reviewed and updated. The formulas didn't change but some nutritionals and ingredient declarations have changed slightly. Maltodextrin was one of the ingredients that wasn't declared before but it needs to be declared now because it is the only source of corn (an allergen) in the ingredient declaration.

Maltodexterin offers a anti-bulking agent there fore keeping the instant tea granulars from clumping and giving a less than satisfactory texture.
THEY ARE TRYING TO INSULT MY TASTE BUDS!!!!!!!!!!!

I drank this crap for 30 YEARS..... IT DID NOT HAVE THIS GARBAGE IN IT!! (The reg instant mix) THE FIRST CAN I TASTED AFTER THEY REDESIGNED THE CAN THAT HAD "MALTODEXTRIN" ON THE INGREDIENTS I COULD TASTE!! (Im not a blasted moron!!!!)

Now they have had MALTODEXTRIN in some of thier other mixs for years (And ASPERTAME IN THE DIET MIXS (Which is worse)) but not in the reg instant tea!! (Until last year) and guess what??

They messed up,I HAVENT DRINKEN ANY SINCE THEY DID THIS!!

Look at this page

www.liptont.com/our_products/tea_mix

EVERY KIND OF TEA HAS THIS LISTED AS BEING IN IT EXCEPT REG (The first one on the list ('LEMON' (Which does now but they havent updated thier site for some reason (AND I THINK THEY COULD BE SUED FOR NONDISCLOSURE))))

I THINK WHAT REALLY HAPPEND IS SOMEONE MESSED UP AND ADDED THIS CRAP TO THE REG INSTANT MIX AND THEY DONT WANNA ADMIT IT!! (I think they changed providers (from canada to the usa.. THATS WHEN THIS WAS ADDED TO REG INSTANT MIX))

Copy of the page from 2004 > http://web.archive.org/web/20041014041443/http://www.liptont.com/our_products/mix/index.asp

As you can see not as much of thier stuff had this crap in it....... (Maltodextrin)

Im wondering if i could ask a favour of everyone reading this?

Could you please send LIPTON some feedback on thier REG ICED TEA and tell them it doesnt taste good with Maltodextrin in it and for years it was WONDERFULL WITHOUT IT! (Or make up some feedback about it)

Here is the address

https://ssl.unilever.com/liptont.com/contact_us/contact_us.aspx

I know it wont help you but IT MIGHT HELP ME (If enough people email them about it)

Im wondering if anything can be done to them FOR NOT LISTING MALTODEXTRIN ON THIER WEBSITE!! (In the REG instant mix) they are not disclosing and if someone orders it from them,THEY WONT KNOW IT NOW HAS THIS CRAP UNTIL THEY HAVE IT!!

And if anyone reading this also has a request for assistance,FEEL FREE TO POST IT AND I WILL DO WHAT I CAN TO HELP YOU!

I asked them if i could please order some from them WITHOUT MALTODEXTRIN IN IT (As its not listed on the site) and they didnt respond back Sad

Food is under attack and we must stick together Smile

Thank you all.......

Last edited by Dude111 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
CombatMeow

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Additives Reply with quote

I thought I ridded my cupboards of anything labelled monosodium glutamate until I read this post. From what I understand the ingredient
"natural flavours" is another way of saying MSG. Thanks to the woman who listed those websites. I will be sure to share them with the people in my family and friends who actually care about what they are consuming. I will note how I feel after I eat this pizza by mccains w/ "natural flavours". I wonder if this is where my headaches derived as well.

Thanks!!!

P.S.

What do we know about mass produced genetically modified SOY that is also in E-VERY THING! I try to stay away from corn as well, because I heard that it has been genetically modified to produce it's own insecticide. .... scary....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA&feature=related

WORTH WATCHING!! Smile really.

This sophisticated woman tells her story in a seminar of some sort about her youngest daughter with sporadic allergies. She investigates the FDA regulations on additives and preservatives. Health affliction ratios of USA Citizens and death rates in comparison to other countries.
CombatMeow

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: additives Reply with quote

sorry U.S department of agriculture not FDA ... just watch it's cool
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CombatMeow -

you need to do more research, and you need to cease accepting that "because it's published on the internet" it is true/accurate.

MSG - in it's basis, it is a totally natural "ingredient" - which is not to say 'some people have issues with ingestion of MSG'

I avoid MSG; can't say I'm 'allergic' to it - large qtys just do not sit well in my system. what's large? - can't say. I use spice blends in the home kitchen with MSG, not a problem. I go out to an oriental place with tons of MSG per shrimp - makes me not physically happy.

consider:
peanuts are really rather kind of sorts to be "completely" natural and "organic - that aside, estimates are 1% of the human population is "allergic" to peanuts/nuts, of any sort. to "protect" that one percent, peanut products have been banned from x, y, z. in the next couple years, it's likely to become a Federal death sentence offense to grow a peanut. "politicians" and "common sense" are not mutually compatible things.

I rather prefer "natural selection" - if one is fatally allergic to the smell of a peanut within 25 miles, perhaps that gene pool should evaporate.

yeah, somebody's kid is going to die under that scenario. it is sad; ask the dinosaurs if what they preferred to eat.

if you put together everything that any human is "allergic to" - there is nothing left to eat but sawdust; well maybe, depends on the tree.....
infoquest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Maltodextrin Reply with quote

B1vantage wrote:
I generally eat well; a while back I bought some apple juice at walmart. I had a glass of this juice yesterday afternoon. A couple hours later I was so tired I had to lay down. I figure I fell asleep about 6pm I just woke up I slept 16 hours. Since it was the only unusual thing I had ingested I looked at the ingredients for the apple juice. It had to be some kind reaction to maltodextrin. I usually read labels in this case it said not from concentrate apple juice on the front, so I assumed it was just apple juice.

You have just confirmed what my allergist told me was unrelated. I can sleep for hours after exposure to Maltodextrin, or corn syrup. Also my joints hurt and i feel so weak I can barely climb a flight of stairs.

During my teens, 30 years ago noticed this response to Popcorn so I stopped eating it. I just figured for some reason I couldn't eat corn. Since I had pollen type allergies that kept getting worse, I started allergy shot in my early 20's. These shots were very effective and I was mostly allergy free for 20 years. Also, I completely forgot about my reaction to corn and started eating it during this time period with no bad side effect.

After moving to the east coast, over the past 10 years i have noticed my allergies, to ragweed trees and grass gradually returning. A couple of weeks ago allergy testing confirmed this was the case. However, I also noticed that Maltodextrin was giving me the same problems as corn products did in the past. I investigated the product and found the Maltodextrin used was produced from corn. Now I am going to remove all the corn related products from my diet.

Interesting that my corn allergies went away with allergy shots for Ragweed, grass, trees. It would seem there is some connection. Has anyone had this experience?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum