Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Brown Sugar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarmeyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Hard Brown Sugar Reply with quote

If your brown sugar goes hard. Take a piece of white bread and place it in the container/bag and re-seal it. Brown sugar will soften completely in a few hours back to its store bought freshness. I leave the bread in the bag once brown sugar has been opened. Wink
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty cool tip. I usually just microwave it, but that's a temporary fix that doesn't actually introduce any moisture back into the brown sugar.

What happens to the bread? Does it dry out completely to the point where we can use it for bread crumbs? If it doesn't dry out, is there a chance of mold to grow on the bread?
oscarmeyer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't turn moldy. Keep your bag or container sealed tightly. It will eventually dry out and just toss the bread. You can re-soften the brown the sugar repeatedly. Smile
LAN3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this once and got white breadcrumbs in my brown sugar. Not an intolerable situation, but now I keep the bread physically separated from the brown sugar with a paper towel-- still seems to work.
Shotsi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slice of apple will soften brown sugar if it gets hard, and is also good for homemade cookies that have gotten hard a day after baking. Best thing is to keep it sealed up to start with, especially since it isn't in everyday use. Put it in a zip-lock bag or a glass jar with a screw-on lid.
flora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep a piece of terracotta in your brown sugar. A broken garden pot sherd will be ideal, the more porous the better. Wash well first, and give it a final clean in the dishwasher.
Amysicle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the bread, apple slice and terracotta for my brown sugar. I found the bread slice to have worked the best, but as Lan3 mentioned, it does leave white transfer onto the sugar so it is best to keep a paper towel between them.

I've accidentally left an apple slice there for an unknown amount of time and it ended up molding. EW.

And I suppose the terracotta I used wasn't porous enough.

It's nice to see all these ideas out here though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum