Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sous vide cooking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topherd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: sous vide cooking Reply with quote

I recently saw a short segment on foodtv ( 5 mins. ) where they showed someone cooking sous vide ( under vacuum ) using a foodsaver bag.

I tried it tonight. It didnt turn out to well, after about 30 minutes, the foodsaver bag started to build up air inside, I guess from the steam coming off the beef's marinade. After that I had to weigh down the bag with some utensils, otherwise the whole beef wouldnt be submerged in the water bath.

The thing is, watching the segment, I did not notice their bag filling with air.

Any suggestions? I havent found anything too informative on this topic on google. Any help would be appreciated.

Later,
Chris
foodscigeek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably didn't remove all the air, or had a poor seal on the bag. What temperature were you cooking at? It shouldn't really be hot enough to create steam. Sous Vide is meant to be a long slow cooking process.
IndyRob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this site and am a little surprised that there isn't more discussion of this technique - given the audience. For a brief time I thought I might have invented something new when I put a steak in a ziplock bag, removed the air, and put it in a slow cooker set at the desired final temperature (135 degrees F). After a final sear, the results were promising, but, as I found out later, I was about 40 years too late to be innovative.

When I was given a FoodSaver, I noticed a paragraph concerning Sous Vide. Then I went on a Googling binge....

There's plenty of stuff out there, but these two links stuck with me...

Wikipedia Sous Vide Entry

25 page discussion of Sous Vide

I'm not about to invest in a thermal immersion circulator, but using a FoodSaver and a Presto Kitchen Kettle (now with several Sharpie marks added below the "Warm" dial setting), I've accomplished some interesting things. I'm still looking for the "Wow!" application though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum