Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dishwasher damaged Wustof knives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tahoeblocher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Dishwasher damaged Wustof knives Reply with quote

I have a (precious) set of Wustof knives of which several were placed in the dishwasher by a well-meaning houseguest, who also ran the cycle before I realized what had happened. The black sheen of the knives is now a kind of dull dark grey. This has to be a fairly common problem. Does anyone know of a way of restoring the black lustre to the knive handles? Thanks
Tahoeblocher
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishwasher damaged Wustof knives Reply with quote

Tahoeblocher wrote:
I have a (precious) set of Wustof knives of which several were placed in the dishwasher by a well-meaning houseguest, who also ran the cycle before I realized what had happened. The black sheen of the knives is now a kind of dull dark grey. This has to be a fairly common problem. Does anyone know of a way of restoring the black lustre to the knive handles? Thanks
Tahoeblocher

If the handles are plastic, there's no way to buff or polish them back. What dishwashers do to precious kitchen utensils is usually permanent. Even with wooden handled items. I've been able to sand/stain/oil them back to look nice. But never back to where they were before. I was at a friend's house this last weekend and I watched him put my wooden handled old carbon steel knife in the dishwasher. I nearly fainted, was able to retrieve it quickly. He had no idea and thought "I" was nuts.

Wusthof knives can be had at any larger chain department store or online. I'd buy replacements and wrap up the older abused ones and save them for someone just starting out and needing some kitchen gifts.

Biggles
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the knives were the older black wooden handled ones. The plastic handles on either the grand prix (softer plastic) or classic (harder plastic) should come out black, although I never had mine in the dishwasher to test this.

DrBiggles: I found it interesting that you would get new knives for yourself after they became damaged. I often replace things like that because it is so disheartening to see something damaged, every time it is used, even if it performs its intended job. I thought I was the only person who did that.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
DrBiggles: I found it interesting that you would get new knives for yourself after they became damaged. I often replace things like that because it is so disheartening to see something damaged, every time it is used, even if it performs its intended job. I thought I was the only person who did that.

Hey,

I suppose it depends on the damage and the piece I or someone screwed up. While I do pride myself on taking excellent care of my kitchen tools, things happen. I'm usually the one to scratch or break something, fumbly fangers. I try to keep my wits about me and tell myself, it's just a dumb knife or sauce pan. I can replace it.
I've got a friend with a set of semi-fancy non-stick pans and he treats them as though they were alive or contained nitroglycerin. I don't have that kind of time and have other things on my plate.

Here's a little post I did a while back. A co-working jokingly gave me an inexpensive Asian cleaver with a large notch out of the blade. He'd twisted it on chicken bones, snap. We were able to repair the knife and I gave it back to him. His jaw hit the ground, he didn't believe I'd give it back or would have repaired it.

http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/archives/000965.html

Biggles
Taamar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try oil. Rub the handle with oil (vegetable, olive, motor, whatever) and let it sit around for as long as you can bear to be without it. Then handwash the knife as usual until the handle doesn't feel oily. This restored the handle of a Henckles that has been washed in the dishwasher, looks like new. Keep in mind, though, that there may be other damage you can't see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum