Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeze now or wait?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Freeze now or wait? Reply with quote

If you make the kind of dish that is "better the next day", and want to freeze it, should you let it sit for a day before freezing? Or just freeze it right away as usual.
I'm thinking of a dense spice cake, but also wonder about casseroles, chili etc.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: I generally freeze it that day Reply with quote

The only thing that I don't freeze immediately (or at least once it reaches room temperature while covered) is stock, so that I can skim the last bits of fat off before bagging and freezing.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a (in my opinion) valid theory that many dishes such as chili, stews, casseroles can improve overnight - allowing time for the flavors to blend.

on the other hand, if you start with a canned/commercial sauce, for example, just adding some <meat / whatever> I tend to think the sauce has melded its flavors about as much as will ever happen.

one dish slightly off the casserole list but I know from my own experience does benefit is pork chops buried in sauerkraut. I saute an onion / leek / bacon / mushroom mix that gets layered in with the chops and kraut - it is much better if left over night and reheated.

not sure that a cake would benefit flavor wise, but certainly ensure it has fully cooled. baked goods often have a bit of excessive moisture when "done" and if frozen before that moisture has time to equalize and escape the freezing may trap it making the cake (for example) a bit wet in the middle when thawed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum