Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you make mustard milder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aishanipatekar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: How do you make mustard milder? Reply with quote

I love mustard. There are many things I think it would be good on, but I don't use it as often as I would like because the flavor overpowers everything else. I use straight mustard on hot dogs and stuff, but for burgers and sandwiches, I usually have to do mayonnaise and mustard so that I can taste the other flavors. Is there a way to make the flavor of mustard a little more mild for a dipping sauce? I don't want it to be sweet (even though I do make honey mustard a lot too) and I am not big on the idea of eating mayo on certain things. Any suggestions?
Traveller

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Aishani...
The volatile oils in Mustard (an isothiocyanate)are at their hottest when the ground seeds have been combined with water to make a paste, curiously the hotter the water you use to make the Mustard paste the milder the mustard becomes.

You can make the Mustard solution even milder by mixing it and bring it up to relatively high heat (use a double boiler method or it will stick like crazy) additionally if you add or make the mustard out of a liquid that is relatively Acid (vinegar - we use White wine and Sherry 50/50) the mustard will also be much milder.
Their also a difference in the "heat" factor of different types of Mustard seeds, Yellow (white) mustard seeds are considerably less hot than Brown or Black seeds.

If you want to make a relatively mild form of mustard combine Vinegar and water and heat it to boiling then add to ground yellow Mustard seed powder in a bowl over simmering water until you have a consistency that is quite a bit "thinner" than you wish to end up with (Ground mustard seeds are a thickener too and as the paste cools it will thicken considerably), keep stirring over the heated water for about 5 minutes, then remove and allow cool and decant into a jar (or a squeeze bottle as we do).

It will probably take a bit of experimentation to come with a heat factor and taste that you're happy with but mustard is relatively cheap to experiment with.

If you've never eaten a fried egg with a thin scraping of Hot English Mustard on the buttered toast you haven't lived !!!

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum