Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artichoke veggie spread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Artichoke veggie spread Reply with quote

I like to add veggies to my sandwiches, and something different from the usual lettuce-tomato-onion. Here is something I tried recently and it came out well. Used it on ham sandwiches, but could also work with pasta I think.

Artichokes, frozen, one package (birdseye in the brand I usually find. You could use canned or fresh if you want to do the prep work. I don't like the flavor of commercially marinated artichoke hearts)
White (button) mushrooms-12 oz, one small package.
Greek (or Kalatama) olives-a handful
Grape tomatoes-a handful (could use regular tomatos if they are fresh, chopped)
Italian seasonings (oregano,thyme,rosemary,basil, 1/2 lemon's worth lemon juice,garlic)
Olive oil
Vinegar
S&P to taste.

Steps:
Mix the dry italian seasonings with the vinegar/lemon juice. Add salt & pepper to taste. Crush the garlic and add to the olive oil. Mix enough to cover the mushrooms and artichokes. (sorry I'm not an engineer and don't usually measure)
Cut the mushroom at least in half, into .5-.75" sq. pieces if they are larger. Toss them in the dressing and let marinate for at least an hour in the fridge.
In the meantime, simmer the frozen artichokes in water for 15 minutes to soften them. Drain when done.
Heat your oven to 375.
When the mushrooms are done marinating, add the artichokes to the marinade. Add more marinade if necessary to coat. You might want to pick out the garlic here if you are not a big garlic fan.
Pierce the grape tomatoes with a knife to allow them to release moisture.
Spread the artichoke-mushroom mixture onto a baking pan, add the pierced (or chopped) tomatoes, and bake in the 375 oven until the moisture has mostly evaporated (about 20 minutes.) Stir to prevent burning. The mixture should still be a bit wet, but not swimming in liquid.
Finally, pulse in a blender until loosely chopped and spreadable. You will have to push down the mixture to chop it all.
At the end, take the Greek or Kalamata olives. Press them with the flat of a chef's knife to remove the pit, and chop them coursely. Mix them in.

Use as a spread for sandwiches, a base for topping paste, or a filling for omlets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum