Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Making Butter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moconnell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Note on Raw Milk Reply with quote

A quick caution on raw milk: In many states (including Michigan, my home), it is illegal to sell raw milk. It must be pasteurized prior to sale.

Additionally, all of the cultured milk products in the US must be pasteurized prior to being cultured. So we kill of the naturally occuring bacteria before we add nice,new, FDA approved ones. This applies to organics (Horizon, Stonyfield Farm) too.
Gira

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: raw milk & raw cream Reply with quote

moconnell warns against raw milk, but I did some research into it before I started drinking it (after discovering some at my Whole Foods six years ago) and the only real warning about it is that it shouldn't be used by young children, the elderly, or the immuno-compromised.

I have used it (solely for drinking because it's so expensive) as I could afford it over the past six years with no problems.

I just noticed yesterday that there was a pint of raw whipping grade CREAM for sale at Whole Foods, with the prohibitively expensive price tag of over $11. I didn't check the butterfat content as it wasn't on my shopping list, but now I'm curious.

So after reading all of this about the butter, I just may have to give it a go. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use the goat buttermilk for your Kefir . . . . you can even use water to make a kefir ginger ale beverage.

As for the raw milk in Michigan . . . . as well as other states . . . . you can buy part of a cow (cowshare) and then drink the milk from your part of the cow. Most states have a loophole to where you can get raw milk. Some states say it is only legal for animals to drink raw milk, so you buy it for your 'animals'. Raw milk is excellent for ALL people. Especially the immunocompromised, young & elderly!! Esp. since most of our diseases & immune problems come from not having the proper bacteria in our gut. Raw milk helps balance your gut & your mouth for a better, cleaner smile too! Smile visit [url]http://www.realmilk.com/ [/url] for great insight to this lost information!

It's pretty sad they have a law against drinking something healthy, whereas it's perfectly fine to fill our foods with known TOXIC chemicals! Go figure!! Shock

we have been bombarded by the FDA & media that raw foods are dangerous to our health. Anger UNTRUE! We are more sick now because of all the 'processing' man has done to our foods because of fear of germs. Now we have super viruses because of that interferance. I really believe it's not the viruses that have gotten stronger, it's that our bodies have become so weak that we fall prey to every type of bacteria & germ out there! Our bodies don't know how to respond to any kind of invader.

ok, off my soapbox!!! Wink Love the site so far: right-on information! Great forum too!
thanks!

trudi@madebytrudi.com
grilljockey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Butter in a food processor Reply with quote

Last night I tried this using the emulsifying disc attachment on my food processor. I used 250 ml of whipping cream (33%). After less than a minute of spinning at high speed, I got a nice lump of yellow butter! I had no idea making butter was so simple. It tastes great too.

Thanks for posting this!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: salted butter Reply with quote

if using salted butter in a recipe such as cookies, can you leave out the salt that it calls for
dr.luke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: salted butter Reply with quote

[if using salted butter in a recipe such as cookies, can you leave out the salt that it calls for]

This is a tricky question.
The short answer is: No.
The complete answer is: It depends!

YES #1: Cookies do not really [need] salt, so even unsalted butter may be used, AND/OR no added salt.

HOWEVER #1: Most people would find that cookies (and most other foods) taste better with some salt added to the recipe, either in the butter or in the teaspoon. Your cookies may seem bland without the recommended amount of added salt.

YES #2: If you are trying to reduce sodium in your diet, you may certainly eliminate or reduce the amount of salt specified in the recipe.

HOWEVER #2: The amount of salt added in baking recipes is fairly insignificant if a person consumes a reasonable number of cookies at a time. Keep in mind that for any salt-reduced diet plan that salt is found in almost all prepared foods; just be aware of where your salt "allowance" is coming from.

NO #1: Salted butter may be used in any recipe for cookies or cakes, etc. which call simply for "butter". The "salt that it calls for" should be used in the recipe. While some people will insist that only unsalted butter should be used in baking, using unsalted butter in a recipe which includes adding salt serves no purpose. It is a myth that only unsalted butter should be used for baking.

However #3: Recipes which call for unsalted butter have validity when the salt content must be precisely controlled or eliminated, usually having to do with the chemical properties of salt. This does not generally include cookies . . .

NO #2: Recipes using cultured (unsalted) butter should use the appropriate ingredients to achieve the intended result.

HOWEVER #4: Recipes are instructions to reproduce exactly a product that someone has decided is worthwhile reproducing. Alterations to any recipe are not wrong; they just produce a (usually slightly) different product. The different product may be a disaster or an improvement or something in between, depending on who is judging the difference. For some people, even slight deviations from a very specific standard fall short of a satisfying result. Others may notice no difference at all.
plindsay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: temperatures for butter Reply with quote

We have raw milk from a jersey.We skim the cream for butter and have had good results a few times- more not. Is there a fullproof way of getting the cream to turn to butter? A temperature? Thanks
Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long will homemade butter last in the refrigerator?
VStoklosa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: "Souring" the cream Reply with quote

I found this board after googling for butter recipes. The first site I found was waltonfeed.com/old/butter.html an old-fashioned method. They recommend 'souring' the cream by exposing it to a 60 degree environment for 24 hours. Not having the time to do this, I tossed in a half teaspoon of lemon juice (along with some salt and freshly ground pepper). The 3/4 cup of ultra-pasteurized cream that hadn't transformed in the previous 10 minutes then needed only another 5 minutes shaking to congeal. The steps of washing and kneading followed. It doesn't taste 'lemony', it has the right subtle 'bite'.

-Victoria
La D Kiara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: La crème de la crème Reply with quote

I had always heard I could make butter from cream, so I thought I'd check, and WOW! I landed on this site! Disbelief
This is exactly what I've been looking for...a cooking site that isn't just a recipe site, but a TEACHING site as well.
I've always been very inquisitive, so learning is a big part of my mental happiness.., and Michael, you've taught me my first lesson of the day!
Even though I've beaten cream into butter before, I really never knew that I had to "wash" the butter for safety reasons. Thanks for that information!
Great site! Reminds me of an Alton Brown segment on the food channel, which I LOVE! lol.
Thanks for being here! I'll be visiting often! Big smile

By the way, how much honey goes in for a really GOOD honey butter, without breaking down the butter?
Annie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Homemade butter Reply with quote

I found some of these comments very interesting and it made me think of my own experience. I have bought heavy whipping cream several times. I would forget to use it and then after a few weeks, I would open the carton and the cream would be solid. It did not smell soured. Is this butter?
DebbiedoesPap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Very helpful site! Reply with quote

I just found your site when looking to see why my "buttering" was taking so long in my Kitchen Aid mixer. I see I screwed up by not letting the cream sit at room temperature. I will correct that with the next batch. We have a small farm in PA and I milk a Jersey by hand and our family uses raw milk, fresh whipped cream and fresh butter. We also have chickens and have fresh eggs. It is great to be able to control some of the toxins and preservatives going into our bodies ! I have used an old fashioned butter churn, but I will be going to the hospital for carpal tunnel surgery in a couple of weeks, so I was looking to use my Wonderful Kitchen Aid Mixer for my future "buttering." Thanks again for such a useful site !! I will be visiting often !!!
ddlyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: butter Reply with quote

Hello,

Just tuned in to this site, wonderful.
Can hardly wait to try making butter. If I am starting with raw milk from our Jersey, how long do I wait for the milk to rise? Is it safe to let it sit at room temperature (bacterial concerns)? and for how long ?
some one seemed to experience less success than more, would like to hear the answer on that also.
thankyou for the teaching how to.
Cynthia
icz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: UP Cream Reply with quote

Just to add to the data - I was whipping UP cream in the Kitchaid -- started fretting about whether it would work, came up to the computer to re-check this site, went back downstairs and "Voila!" Buttermilk splashed all over and butter in the bowl. So, it works fine, but it is bland.
plynch

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: butter making Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if making butter undergoes a physical or chemical change? Or both?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: