Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Making Butter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: yoghurt Reply with quote

I would love a recipe to make yoghurt, especially some that is thick like Greek yoghurt. Thank you
cphoenix at crnano.org

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Heavy cream can make butter Reply with quote

I just managed to make some excellent butter, right in the carton, with Coburg Ultra-Pasteurized Heavy Cream, with mono and di-glycerides, polysorbate-80, and carrageenan. I got it on the first try, so I don't guarantee this procedure is repeatable or optimized, but:

Start with 1 quart heavy cream. Shake it gently--more rocking than shaking--until it stops sloshing at all. This will take some time but it's easy. I did it off and on, over a period of a couple of hours, in a house at 78 degrees (warmer than some procedures recommend).

Open the cap on the side of the carton and pour out about 1/3 of the cream (you'll put it back later). This is just to get air space. It should be a smooth thick liquid, almost pudding. Now, close the carton and shake vigorously. In just a minute or two, the creamy liquid will start to stiffen up, rather abruptly. Give it just a few more really hard shakes, and in seconds, it starts to separate; it'll go from sloshing to muddy to almost a crackling sound as the buttermilk frees up.

Shake it a few more seconds to get all the butter out of the buttermilk. Then open the carton, pour out the buttermilk, and pour the rest of the cream back in. Repeat the vigorous shaking, and pour out the second batch of buttermilk.

Now you can pour in water, shake vigorously, and pour it out again, a few times, to rinse the butter. When you're done, just cut open the carton and scrape out the butter. It made close to two cups.

Chris
notasnowballs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: I made butter with ultra-pasteurized cream Reply with quote

Well I saw some posts here about ultra-pasteurized whipping cream and how it didn't work. I was reading this as I shook a quart jar of it 3/4 full of Darigold ultra-pasteurized whipping cream. I was getting really discouraged. I read this article and at first I went to work with my blender in a bowl. I beat that thing for like an hour, and no butter. No globs. No nothing. So I don't have any salt in the house since I hardly use the stuff. So I found some celery salt, and tried that, just experimenting with the salt content to see if maybe salt would help it along in turning to butter. Please bear in mind that this is storebought stuff that has all those unpronouncable ingredients such as carrageenan and polysorbate, etc. in it. I will list the fat content and ingredients at the end of this post, if anybody is interested.

Anyways, I added the celery salt. Now I have funky tasting cream (It never really turned into decent whipping cream, either. sigh...). So I experimented with a little bit of it in a quart jar in the microwave, just to see what it would do. At three minutes on high the stuff boiled off a LOT of water content, or milk, or whatever. It reduced to about a third of it's size, and I saw yellow globs in there. Hmmm... curious. I put it all in the fridge for the night because I was pooped.

So the next morning there are still a few globs in the microwaved concoction, but they are now white again. Go figure. I abandoned that batch. The funky tasting celery salt concoction is still in a bowl in the fridge.

So I'm in here in my bedroom shaking this mason jar full of plain ole whipping cream, thinking that it's not going to work because I'm reading about all the difficulties of ultra-pasteurized or stuff with those extra chemicals in it, and I'm thinking, ok, it's about time to stuff this stuff in the fridge and hit the hay. I open the jar for about the fourth time, thinking I'm going to have some bubbles in my whipping cream, and I find that.... I have about a cup amount of butter floating in my cream! I had this quart mason jar about 3/4 full and it took me about an hour of constant shaking, but here it is.

So I stuck with the jar thing because I seem to remember that's how my Grama did it when they worked at the dairy. She used to skim the cream off the gallon of milk they dipped out of the milk tank (straight from the cow) and brought home. Then she filled up 4 or 5 mason jars and all of us, grownups and kids alike, would shake a jar of the stuff while we were watching a movie together. Then Grama had baked bread too (I can still remember it's drop dead delicious flavor, too- gotta love Grama's Southern fat filled cookin') and we had some on some warm bread.

So now I know how to make soap and butter. The sky's the limit!

If anybody knows of any places where I can buy milk straight from the dairy or cow before it gets stuffed full of crap, uh, I mean... chemicals, and boiled to death, I would much appreciate an email: notasnowballs_chanceinhell@yahoo.com

Oh yea: Nutritional info on the thing I was shaking around:

Brand name: Darigold ultra-pasteurized whipping cream, one quart
Serving size for nutritional facts: one tablespoon or 15 ml

Fat calories are 40
Total fat is 4.5 g
Saturated fat is 3 grams or 7 %
Trans Fat is 0 g or 0%

Hope that helps, and please drop me an email, I plan on making more butter because I heard from my diet friends that now the health folks are saying that instead of margarine being good for you and butter is bad, now they have switched and said that margaraine is REALLY bad for you (cholesterol, heart disease, etc.) and that butter has "good" fats, that you need. I wish those idiots up there running things would make up their minds. Personally, I think God gave us what we need to survive in this world, and man is really good at screwing it up. I think I will try to stick to food that is natural as possible and to heck with the FDA or whoever makes those rules. According to all the experts, I'm gonna' die anyways. LOL
Amber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Butter!!! Reply with quote

Dear Michael or Someone who can help lol,

I was just wondering if I wanted to make a medium size jar at home with my daughter for fun. How much heavy cream or double cream I should use and if i wanted to sweeten it up a bit with some sugar (so my daughter will eat it) how much sugar should i use. I dont have any type of food processor or mixer except a blender and a electric hand mixer so I was going to take the plastic jar approach with a marble or something for an agitator. Unless i could use a blender or something lol. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it thanks.

Amber H.
car

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: did it by hand! Reply with quote

for anyone who doesn't have a plethora of kitchen equipment like me, i have good news!

I made the butter with a whisk and a mixing bowl.

it took me a good 25 or so minutes of constant mixing... and my arm is sore now (great workout for my arm, really)... but it turned out just fine!

and i used just normal store-bought carton of cream... "UHT pasteurized" works! =)

the hardest part is waiting for the cream to thicken to even just the "soft peak" stage... it took a good 18-20 minutes just for it took thicken up to soft peaks... but after that, the other stages come pretty quick...

so don't give up! it just takes a while! and it sure does help the process if you're watching tv while whisking!

the butter is yummy and fresh... it's just got a different feel to it compared to store-bought butter... i'll definitely be making it again in the future!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried culturing the buttermilk? If it's like making yoghurt, all you need to do is add some culture (ie some cultured buttermilk from the shops) to it and let it sit in a warm spot for a while.

BTW I'd love to know exactly what is going on there. How does one emulsion (fat in water = milk) turn into another emulsion (water in fat = butter), just by beating it?
nandita

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Making yogurt Reply with quote

Homemade yogurt is just very easy to make. Most Indian homes do it on a daily basis. But we have our own cultures to start with from the previous day's yogurt.

take one litre of milk (2% and above), bring to a boil and cool until lukewarm. Add a generous tsp of greek yogurt (live cultures). With a whisk, mix it well into the milk. Keep the milk covered in a warm place, like a cabinet or inside your oven, undisturbed. You will get fresh homemade yogurt in 7-8 hrs depending on the weather. While using it, remember to save the last few spoons to use to make your next batch of yogurt.

If you make this with whole milk, you will get a whole thick layer of creamy yogurt on the top. Scoop it out each time and collect in a bottle in the refrigerator. Once bottle is half full, you can add some warm water to it and manually shake the bottle for 10-15 minutes to get your own homemade butter.

Hope that helps the guests who've asked about making yogurt above!
Mary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: UHT Cream Reply with quote

I've tried making butter with UHT cream, which seems to be the type available now (regardless whether it's light or heavy). Getting it to form butter via the mixer was easy. Unfortunately, it had virtually no flavor.

Quote:
I can buy raw milk at Whole Foods Market here in California - Would I be able to make that into butter? Would I need to scoop the cream off of the top and use that, or just leave some of the raw milk out at room temperature for 12 hours?

You can go us all better and make Cornish-style clotted cream.
Kristina from Georgia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: response re raw milk Reply with quote

In response to the post: If anybody knows of any places where I can buy milk straight from the dairy or cow before it gets stuffed full of crap, uh, I mean... chemicals, and boiled to death, I would much appreciate an email: notasnowballs_chanceinhell@yahoo.com", here are a few options, depending on where you live.

1 - Visit a local, preferably organic, farmers market and ask around to find out if anybody knows of a dairy selling raw milk.
2. - Do a google search for a local organic farmers organization that could help.
3. Check out the Weston Price website for plenty of info: http://www.realmilk.com/where.html

I've been buying raw whole milk - cream on top - and eggs directly for several months now. Thanks for the great website - I'll be making butter soon!
helenmusk@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: making butter Reply with quote

Excellent site! I am going to use your tips to make butter at home before launching myself to make it in the old-fashioned way at Morwellham Quay Visitor Centre, Devon, England, U.K. which is an old 19th century Copper Mine.
Jan H

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Butter and leftover buttermilk Reply with quote

I just made fresh butter using separated cream from raw goat's milk. It worked beautifully, and tastes heavenly. I have the leftover (sweet) buttermilk. Is there anything I can use this for besides using it in baking? Can it be used for making yogurt or cheese? Any suggestions? I do make kefir with whole raw goat's milk, so any ideas for the buttermilk with kefir would be appreciated too. I'm assuming I can't use the buttermilk to culture as kefir as the fat's pretty much gone into the butter. Thank you so much. Jan
Rebecca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Leftover buttermilk Reply with quote

Ricki Carroll's excellent Home Cheesemaking book has a recipe for buttermilk cheese. I have not tried it, but I bet it would be perfect with leftover goat's milk buttermilk.
FrozenFlame22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Made butter by accident! Reply with quote

We were trying to make whipped cream from heavy whipping cream. We put it in a 1 cup tupperware container with a bit of sugar and vanilla, but we filled it almost to the top of the container. After a much longer time than it usually takes to make whipped cream, it started to thump - slosh - thump - slosh... that's not normal. We opened it up and it definitely did not look like whipped cream! Turns out that we didn't have enough air in the container, so it went straight to butter. I don't recommend filling the container so full for making butter 'by hand' because it did make the container leak a little. We went online to figure out how we did what we did and found this website. Very spiffy find for a couple of computer geeks like us. Smile
MeganAmyH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accidentally learned a trick to making butter faster.

When you whip cream, you put everything into the freezer to help the fats solidify and give a nice solid whip. However, if you heat the bowl by running hot water in it first, the whipping cream seems to bypass that whole "whipped cream" stage. Needless to say, it was while making whipped cream that I found this out....but have done that many times since for butter making. It doesn't seem to harm the final product in any way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Overchurned Butter--any saving? Reply with quote

This is great info, love your site!

I just attempted to make my first batch of cultured butter with organic low pasteurized cream. Everything was going along swimmingly. Cream thickened nicely overnight, beat up to soft then stiff peaks, separated a bit. But, I thought it didn't look like enough buttermilk came off, so I kept on mixing, apparently blending both back together. No matter how much I whipped, I couldn't get the butter to come out again.

Next time I'll quit at the first sight of buttermilk, and I already threw out the cream, but I'm really curious as to if there is anything to do at that stage to save the process?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: