Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My grandmother's recipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirpaul484

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: My grandmother's recipes Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I finally convinced my grandmother to give me her recipe books so that I can copy them to the computer. There is only one problem: She has omitted quantities and times from them. So, instead of having something that says "Add 2 cups of flour", I have "Add flour until the texture is right", or "add pepper until it tastes right", or, the worst one of all, "Cook until done". I tried making knoedels using her recipe, and instead of delicious potato dumplings with a bacon filling, I got a goopy mess. Is there anything I can do to "fix" the recipes aside from trial and error, or is it just a lost cause?
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Your best bet Reply with quote

I've faced this too. Your best bet is to look on the internet or in cookbooks for recipes that are similar and then try to fill in the missing bits of your grandmother's recipes using the information on the net. Through that and the process of trial-and-error I've managed to recreate a couple of my mother's recipes the same way.

Long, slow and difficult, but it does work given enough time.

Of course, since your grandmother is still alive, you could also suggest that you make some of the recipes together -- and observe the quantities and cooking times she uses, or take notes on the textures she's indicating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum