Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cheesecake Cupcakes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Recipe File: Cheesecake Cupcakes Reply with quote

Article Digest:
A few years ago, a friend of mine showed me a way to get the cheesecake flavor and texture without taking several hours to bake and cool before serving. If you need to provide individually portioned snacks or dessert to a casual party or gathering, these simple cheesecakes are easy to make and disappear fast.

We'll use Vanilla Wafer cookies (Nabisco's Nilla Wafers is the most commonly available brand) as a bottom crust for these cheesecake cupcakes. To make a dozen cheesecakes, gather up one pound (455 g) cream cheese, 2 large eggs, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar. The cheesecakes can be topped with whatever you like - maraschino cherries, streusel, Hershey's kisses. I like to use mandarin orange slices.
[IMG]

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).

Place the cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl and beat on medium-low speed until creamy.
[IMG]

Starting with softened cream cheese will speed up the process, but even cold cream cheese will eventually beat in with the eggs to form a creamy mixture.
[IMG]

Place cupcake or muffin liners (also called baking cups) into each cup of a muffin pan. While preparing these pictures and reading up on other recipes, I read a recipe that recommended getting aluminum cupcake liners but removing the paper layer (aluminum muffin liners have an inner paper lining placed within the aluminum liner). I decided to take this opportunity to test out different liners: aluminum with paper insert, aluminum without paper, and paper muffin liners. Aluminum with paper is what I recommend (more on why later).

Place a vanilla wafer cookie into the bottom of each muffin liner.
[IMG]

Pour the cheesecake batter into each muffin liner. Fill to about 3/4 full. The batter should be sufficient for twelve cupcakes with possibly a little left over. Top the individual cheesecakes.
[IMG]

Bake the cheesecake cupcakes for about 15 minutes in the preheated 350°F (175°C) oven. As soon as the cheesecakes are set, remove the muffin pan and let it cool for a couple minutes on a wire rack. After the pan has cooled a bit, pull out each of the cheesecakes and let them completely cool before refrigerating.
[IMG]

While pulling out the baking cups from the muffin pan, I realized that the aluminum liners made it easy to lift up and pull out. The cupcakes lined with only paper cups were a bit more difficult to grasp and lift up due to the less rigid nature of the liner.

However, the paper lined cupcakes peeled easily while the aluminum only cup had a tendency to stick to the cheesecake. Sometimes while peeling the aluminum lining off, it would tear the cupcake. So, for the best of both worlds, use the aluminum baking cups with the paper lining left inside.

After chilling, the cheesecakes will keep for a couple days - ready for a quick snack or for delivery to your next get-together.

[IMG]

Cheesecake cupcakes (makes 12 cupcakes, can be scaled)
Prepare muffin pan with foil baking cups
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
1 lb. (455 g) cream cheese, softenedbeat until creamyfill cups 3/4 fulltop with an orange slicebake 350°F (175°C) 15 min.cool individually on wire rackrefrigerate before serving
2 large (100 g) eggs
1 tsp. (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
12 vanilla wafer cookiesplace in each cup
12 mandarin orange slices

xinxin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big smile I like it but afraid it will make me fat Wink
Chez Christine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Yum! Reply with quote

My mom used to make these and put blueberry pie topping on the top. Mmmm...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teasing these turned out awsome!! My kids loved them!
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Biscuit base for cheese cupcakes Reply with quote

Try maing your own base from a 50/50 mixture of Digestive and Ginger biscuits, crumbled and bound with unsalted butter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of using a cookie as the base of the cheese cupcake. Smile
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a view, the madarin oranges look like little hearts Smile

These look tasty! Any idea of the nutritional value though? Probably less than a slice of cheesecake...
SirisC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Reply with quote

I wonder what adding a bit of bittersweet baking chocolate would do for flaver? I'm going to have to try that. (Any suggestions on how much to use?)
Audrey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once made 300 of these mini cheesecakes for a friends wedding reception. How I wish I had seen your recipe first! The cookie-as-crust thing is genious... I spent hours and hours pressing graham cracker crumbs into teeny paper cups with my thumbs. Sad
foodscigeek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For chocolate cheesecake, I usually use about 1 oz (1 square of bakers chocolate) per 8 oz package of cream cheese. So for this recipe, you'd likely want 2 oz.
awi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: mini muffin Reply with quote

I want to try this recipe using a mini muffin pan. How long do you think the baking time will be?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: mini muffin Reply with quote

awi wrote:
I want to try this recipe using a mini muffin pan. How long do you think the baking time will be?

For something that small, I'd rely on examination over an estimated baking time. Start by checking at 8 minutes and check every two minutes after that. Just gently swing the pan left and right a little and see if the center of the cupcakes still jiggle. If they barely move (about as stiff as jello) then they are done. If they move as if they were liquid, keep baking.

After your first batch, add up the time in the oven and subtract a few minutes and use that as your new first check point for testing doneness on your second batch. On your third batch, you'll probably know the exact time it takes to set your cupcakes with your mini-muffin pan and oven.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Cheesecake Cupcakes-Puff up Reply with quote

When I baked them, they puffed up and fell, is this normal?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cheesecake Cupcakes-Puff up Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
When I baked them, they puffed up and fell, is this normal?

They might puff up if air bubbles are trapped in the batter. Try letting them sit for half an hour before you bake (and aggitate the pan intermittantly) to let bubbles work themselves out before baking if this happens all the time for you.
foodscigeek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found if you soften the cream cheese with the sugar, and minimize mixing after adding the eggs you don't get the aeration in the batter.

Crystal, I did a quick and dirty calculation on the nutritionals of the mini cheesecakes. I used USDA database numbers on the full fat versions of all the ingredients. If you get 12 mini cheesecakes out of this recipe, here's the nutrition content (including the vanilla wafer, but no topping):

Calories 210
Fat 15 g
Calories from Fat 135
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 14 g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: