Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fondue!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Fondue! Reply with quote

I need a good chocolate fondue recipe. I'd also love to hear about the best way to make cheese fondue. About 50% of the time I make cheese fondue, it never mixes well. I end up with lumps of melted cheese in an oily-wine broth.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Lemon juice Reply with quote

One of the things that is important to a cheese fondue is that you have enough acidity to denature the proteins in the cheese. If it's not working for you, make sure to add some add lemon juice with the wine. Also, it's pretty much crucial that you add some cornstarch or potato flour to keep the cheese from separating after it's melted.

As for dessert fondues, my favorite is the classic toblerone fondue. Warm 6 tablespoons of cream, then melt 10 oz of toblerone into that. Finish off with a couple of tablespoons of cognac at the end.
Taamar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolate fondue is pretty easy... chocolate, cream, and maybe booze. the 6 tablespoons cream (3 fluid oz.) with 10 oz of chocolate sounds a little thick to me without a bit of liqueur. My favourite:

4 oz whipping cream (table cream for thinner consistancy)
1 oz gran marnier
3 bars Green & black Maya gold (10.5 oz total)

Chop the chocolate and put it in your fondue bowl.
Heat whipping cream almost to boiling.
Stir liqueur into cream.
Pour cream over chocolate and let it sit a bit while you light the flame underneath.
Stir chocolate and cream until smooth.

I generally prefer a bitter chocolate for fondue since I'll be dipping sweet things into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum