Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chocolate Cake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nannette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: chocolate type questions Reply with quote

What do you mean when you state 70% dark chocolate? Does that mean the chocolate I use should be at least 70% cocoa? I went to the Dagoba website and did not see any that said 70%. There were certainly alot of different kinds of chocolate. What kind of Dagoba chocolate did you use? Thanks for any help you may give. I always use Hersheys cocoa when I bake a cake. I want to try it with a different chocolate to see if I can taste a difference. Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: chocolate type questions Reply with quote

Nannette wrote:
What do you mean when you state 70% dark chocolate? Does that mean the chocolate I use should be at least 70% cocoa?

Yes, 70% cocoa or cacao content is what you're looking for. Dagoba carries a several varieties of chocolate ranging from 68% to 74% in blended and single origin. Any of these will be fine (and will have different flavors depending on which origin you select).
Elandwyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Amazing! Reply with quote

I have made this recipe twice now. I am an absolute wreck of a baker, and for me to get any baking recipe right twice in a row is one heck of a compliment to your instructing ability! Thank you so much, Michael!
As a side note - the baking time for standard sized cupcakes is almost exactly 15 minutes at 350F (tins filled 3/4 full did not rise as much as I wanted, so I went ahead and filled them all the way to much success).
Also, I turned my cakes into German Chocolate cake using this disgustingly good recipe for coconut pecan frosting. Don't even bother looking if you're counting calories.
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 stick butter (.25lbs)
1tbsp vanilla
1 can condensed milk
pinch of salt
1 can coconut
1/2 cup (chopped) pecans
1tsp cornstarch

throw the sugar, butter, vanilla, eggs, condensed milk, salt and cornstarch into a saucepan and stir constantly over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until everything is melted together and looking smooth. turn the heat up to med-high and stir constantly until flakes of brown begin to appear as the sugar caramelizes along the bottom of the pan. I haven't burned it yet, just keep stirring and pay attention. When you have a pretty brown tinge to the whole mix, turn off the heat, throw in the coconut and pecans, stir it up a bit more and pour warm over your cake or cupcakes. yum!

Emily
South Carolina
Engineer turn baker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: What is what? Reply with quote

I would like to know if all purpose flour = plain flour
cake flour = self raising flour, why do you need sour cream? Another question what is buttermilk in other recipe?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, "plain flour" is not a defined term. but, "all purpose" is probably not far from whatever definition you are thinking about.

flours are classified by their protein aka gluten content.
soft to hard.
soft is low gluten - this is the "cake flour" type - you don't want a lot of (toughing) gluten developing in yer cakes....

hard aka "bread" flour has higher gluten - gluten makes for an elastic dough that holds the bubbles that the yeast burps out.

self rising is two turns unrelated to any of the above; although it is typically "all purpose." self-rising contains pre-mixed leavening - usually baking powder - and a dash of salt.

why do you need sour cream? well, baking powder and baking soda are both base compounds. mixed with acids - sour cream, buttermilk, and a ton of "others" - that combination produces a chemical reaction which releases co2 which makes for bubbles which get labeled "leavening"
ketgray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: sour cream in the cake Reply with quote

Thank you for this discussion. My question is: what can I use instead of sour cream? Creme fraiche? Yogurt? Non-fat or whole? Thanks. KT
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creme fraiche? Yogurt? Non-fat or whole?

yes, yes, either. <g> watch the batter consistency - it may be slightly looser - you may need a bit more flour and/or bake time adjustments.

keep in mind, when you alter a baking recipe, you will probably get slightly different results. some people take their chocolate cake real serious! and a little or this or that is used to modify consistency, crumb, moistness, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindly tell me , as i really need to know this, i do not have a conventional oven but a microwave convection grill oven. pls tell me how i can cook the same recipe in my microwave convection grill oven.

pls do reply. and pls give clear instructions.

awaiting your reply

kalpana
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently you have some kind of "combination" oven?
if you could give the make and model number, we might be able to look it up and provide more informative answers, but:

the oven has at least two modes of operation:
microwave - I have never attempted to microwave cook a cake. there are microwave recipes for chocolate cake on the web - but I suspect the ingredients are different to accommodate the microwave method.

grill: grilling a cake is not something I would recommend.

convection: does the oven have the ability to set a baking temperature?
not grilling, just "hot" ? a convection oven uses a fan to circulate the air inside the oven; typically this means foods cook faster. "standard" recommendation is to reduce the oven temp by 25F' (i.e. 162'C vs 177'C)
and check on the cake more frequently for doneness - don't just go by the clock.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, about the technical specifiactions, i have a Samsung C103FL , (CONV+MICRO+GRILL) . It has output power of 100W/900 W-6 levels ( IEC-705), The microwave power consumption is 1400 W, GRILL 1300 W , CONV 1700 W, if that helps. about baking temp setting , in the convection mode the micowave gives me 220 deg c, 180, 160, and other lesser options. there is a micro+convection mode as well.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to page 16 of your instruction manual:

"The convection mode enables you to cook food in the same way as in a traditional oven...."

so, select the convection mode, set the temperature, bake the cake - seems simple enough, no?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, maybe thw writer of this recipe will have a better idea about how exactly to go about with the cake in the microwave.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
ok, maybe thw writer of this recipe will have a better idea about how exactly to go about with the cake in the microwave.

The writer of this recipe just wants to say that this recipe doesn't work in a microwave oven... you're better off with Dilbert's advice Smile
Cheyenne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Chocolate Cake Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried your cheesecake recipe, and it's heavenly good. Tonight, I will bring it over for my mother-in-law. Thank you so much for the detail recipe.

I have a question. If I am only using an thick 8 inches pan to bake the chocolate cake (usually bake with sponge cake), do you think i have to bake a longer? like an hour or more?

Cheyenne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Delicious! Reply with quote

Forgot the sour cream, but still came out moist and incredibly delicious! We used Michael's buttercream frosting recipe as well.

Try with raspberries on the top and around the base for a great compliment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: