Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chocolate Cake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ingredients Reply with quote

LoraKay wrote:
Where can I find the pure cacao powder?

Cacao powder can generally be found in the baking aisle of your supermarket. Some brands market it as cacao powder while others use the term cocoa powder. Usually the companies that sell it as cacao powder do so to emphasize that no unnecessary ingredients have been added (such as sweeteners).

LoraKay wrote:
What are some other types of chocolate that can be used that are easier to find (or cheaper) than the Dagoba?

Scharffen Berger, Schokinag, and Valrhona all make excellent cocoa/cacao powders. Depending on the area you are in, it may be easier to find Ghiradelli or Guitard cocoa which is also very good. If all else fails, there's always Hershey.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: water in the cake... Reply with quote

I've noticed that some chocolate cakes call for boiling water added to the batter... Why does the temperature of the water matter? And what is the best way of adding this boiling water to the batter without "scrambling" the raw eggs in it?

And a similar question: when making 7-minute frosting, most recipes call for adding 2 Tbsp or so of COLD water. Again, I would really like to know the rationale behind this as the sugar/egg/syrup/water mixture is going to be mixed in a double boiler anyway...

It would be great is some science whiz could answer my questions! Smile) This is a very informative site, btw!
Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe is for a cake every bit as good as cake made by a professional pastry chef. I'm not a big fan of buttercreme (you might as well eat spoonfuls of raw butter), but this cake could come from any premium bakery.
Molly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael-- I just wanted to say thanks for this delicious recipe. I have made this cake several times now. It has boosted my baking confidence tremendously! Big smile
AdmNAismith not signed in

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: This is the best... Reply with quote

cake/frosting recipe I have found. This tastes/looks/feels every bit as good as a cake from a Parisian bakery. If you want to impress someone- this is the recipe to do it with.
It also made me realise I don't like proper Buttercream Frosting. You may as well as unpeel a stick of butter and eat it like a banana!
newbaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Bundt Pan Reply with quote

Can you make this cake in a Bundt pan? What adjustments do you have to make to the recipe - baking time, etc?
barooo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: brown sugar sub Reply with quote

made this last night, and was setting up my mise around 9:00 and realized I didn't have any brown sugar (which is odd, I use it a lot), so I used 280 g of "sugar in the raw" + 20 g dark molasses. The flavor and texture of the finished product were outstanding although I was surprised at how thin the batter was while making it and was worried I didn't have enough flour or something.

Also, your gram weight of sour cream in the intro is for a whole cup, I caught it when I was assembling becuase the correct weight is listed in the table, but I had gotten out the full amount, and had to re-measure before dumping it in.

I ended up making cupcakes with an Italian buttercream instead of the american one listed because they were for a potluck and I wanted stability at room temp. They were a hit.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: brown sugar sub Reply with quote

barooo wrote:
Also, your gram weight of sour cream in the intro is for a whole cup, I caught it when I was assembling becuase the correct weight is listed in the table, but I had gotten out the full amount, and had to re-measure before dumping it in.

Thanks! I fixed it.
loves chocolate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is awesome. I'm a mechanical engineer myself and am always thinking analytically. I enjoyed the ingredient scheduler chart at the bottom of the recipe...reminds me of a Gantt Chart!
microbe cook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: more cake recipes! Reply with quote

I just tried this recipe, and it was my very first cake from scratch! Everyone LOVED it. Thanks for the awesome recipe!!!! More cake recipes please!!!!!
Rachelm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Vanilla Extract! Reply with quote

How much vanilla extract do I use?!
It calls to add the sour cream and the vanilla extraxt about half way down, but I don't see how much vanilla extract to use. You're recipe seems so precise and I don't want to mess it up! (Or am I blind and just didn't see where it was?)
Thanks, I can't wait to make it!!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vanilla Extract! Reply with quote

Rachelm wrote:
How much vanilla extract do I use?!
It calls to add the sour cream and the vanilla extraxt about half way down, but I don't see how much vanilla extract to use. You're recipe seems so precise and I don't want to mess it up! (Or am I blind and just didn't see where it was?)
Thanks, I can't wait to make it!!

1 tsp. Sorry about that, it's listed in the recipe summary table at the bottom, but not in the exposition. I'll add it somewhere now.
Sarah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in LOVE with this cake! It's still moist four days after I've baked it! I added a teaspoon of instant espresso powder to the cocoa/chocolate mix to give the cake and extra kick of flavor. The next time I make this, I plan on decreasing the butter a tad bit to see if it will still retain a good amount of moisture.
eatcakes

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Baking Soda Reply with quote

I was wondering why this recipe called only for baking soda and no baking powder. Would there be a difference if baking powder was also added in?
Rachelm

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Yummy! Reply with quote

I've made this cake multiple times for many different occasions now and everyone always loves it, so thank you!
Sometimes I need a bigger cake though to feed more mouths, could I bake this in a 9" by 12" pan and if so for how long? Or do you have any other suggestions? You're help is much appreciated (and so are your recipes!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: