Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Clam Chowder, New England Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LBI fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Chowda Reply with quote

Here on Long Beach Island ,nj we our proud of our chowda, and have a cook-off each fall. The best is fresh. Don't add the clams till the end. If you are in a hurry, buy chowder in the can. Good cooking can take some time!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: new england clam chowder Reply with quote

New England clam chowder recipe sounds delicious. Is it possible to make larger amount and freeze it?
bacon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Clam Chowder Reply with quote

For the person living in Paris, of course we have clams in Europe, in the UK they are known as cockles in French "praires" and in German "Venusmuschel". They are not the same varieties of clam as in the USA, i.e. no littlenecks or quahogs but they are in the clam family all the same and can be made into clam chowder. Cockles are usually sold minus the shell, the best place for cockles in the UK is in Wales,Swansea Market on a Wednesday, there are also delicious cockles in Morecambe Bay (where the Chinese cockle-pickers were killed by the rising tide).
kaitsmom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: new england clam chowder Reply with quote

Honestly; I think if you ever had OUR clam chowder, ITS WONDERFUL, whether your from Chicopee, Mass or Fall River, Mass, Hartford, Ct or Providence, RI, Maine or Vermont, Every state and every family makes clam chowder different,! All taste good cuz it from New England!!! Hence the name, My grandmothers is slightly different then my mom, i like grams better maybe cause its old school, like the one guy said using the crean from the top of the milk back in the day. Chircio, thats a Protuguese sausage used to make kale soup! And the best is Gaspars out of Bedford Mass! I love the recipe and can't wait to make it tomorrow! I live in FL now and their chowder sucks New England Clam Chowder is just that... New England!!!
Bobby Molden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: New England Clam Chowder. Reply with quote

Well, i tried to follow the recipie best i could except for the portions. This is a dish my wife allways orders when she gets the chance so thought i'd take a crack at it. I started from the bacon grease all the way down to the heavy cream and half and half. Stuffed it in the middle with plenty of minced clams and whole baby ones. Ohh yeah, I went for broke and just for good measure added some chopped mushrooms. I got carried away and ended up with a big pot. I added some Rock sea salt and black pepper, stired it well. stuck a spoon in it and tasted. Damn that is good. Blew my mind if i do say so myself. You boys sure know your stuff up in here and im grateful. Man, i mean this stuff rivals any i've had anywhere! Thanks again for teaching me how to make this dish.
glfgrl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: NICE!!! Reply with quote

Love the recipe sounds so good, I know this is an old blog, but I also love the way to have the recipe listed below the pics....very unique format and hope to see more of your recipes....keep cookin Smile
Janet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: ClamChowder Reply with quote

Read all the comments and ready to go-BUT I need to make this for 40 people. Do I taje basic recipe and multiple everything by 6?/
Hope for answer soon - I'm on leaving Wed 10/26 to Mexico - and YES I do my own clamming.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... just everything x6

bottom line yes, recipes are usually flexible to minor changes in proportions _except_

seasonings - some are "stronger" than others and less than x6 will work - a minor "generality" in this case as the recipe is just salt&pepper

"thickening" - one single huge pot is is going to cook differently - in particular the amount of starch coming out of the potatoes - so don't put in all the x6 liquids at one crack - hold off to see how it thickens up and be prepared to add more or less liquid than the x6 math indicates.
ME

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: NEW ENGLAND Reply with quote

Who cares where "NEW ENGLAND" is...
WEST COAST ALL THE WAY BABY!
kimberly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Is New York part of New England Reply with quote

New England is a region in the northeastern corner of the United States consisting of the six states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. New England is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, Canada (the Canadian Maritimes and Quebec) and the state of New York.
pjayy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: AOK by me!!! Reply with quote

Since this is a "stew", the recipe is quite "forgiving". Nonetheless I made this chowder once, sticking closely to the recipe EXCEPT that I used diced white baby potatoes with skin-on, and was thrilled.

Using Fresh clams:

Today I made an over-sized recipe with 2 dozen clams ranging from "Cherrystone" to large "Quahog" size, and it is again marvelous. Washed, then soaked the raw clams in water with corn starch and salt, then rinsed them again. Steamed the clams open, saved the broth (let the sand settle out) and used this instead of bottled clam juice. Same as before using baby white skin-on spuds. Wow-ee.

With fresh clams (and no food processor nearby for chopping - lost it in Hurricane Irene and haven't replaced it yet) it's quite a bit more time-consuming, but I'm not complaining - it was worth it!

We are all um... happy as a clam here.

Thanks again!!!

-PJ
Lee Siu Hoi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: New England Reply with quote

I thought any parts of America in the first 13 states are classified as New England, unless, of course if you wish to call yourself New France instead. Big smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we tried your Clam Chowder tonight and it was FANTASTIC! I had three tins of clams left that my mom shipped over to the UK for me (you can't get them here) and I needed to use them up before we move back to NH. It went down a treat! The only thing I added was a can of creamed corn because that's how I remember my mom's. Thanks for the fantastic memory!
Anna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: This is THE BEST clam chowder I have ever had Reply with quote

I have made this so many times now, that I have to post a comment. My husband is from the North and loves clam chowder. Campbell's Chunky New England style has been a staple of his single life. I tried making this recipe for the first time last year it was a hit!
Our brother in law, who is from Boston, LOVED it too. He and his wife said it was the better than a restaurant. So decadent.
I've made it a few times now, and it's always received rave reviews. I figured it was time for me to post a big Thank You!! I love your site and learning the science behind the ingredients. You have made me a better cook.
Matttail

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Rice Milk Reply with quote

I just made this recipe again, except I used all unsweetened rice milk. To help keep the recipe thick I added some olive oil in with the grease from 4 strips of bacon to bring it up to about 1/3 cup grease. Then I used 1/3 cup flour as well. Super tasty and lactose free!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: