Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knives: The Best of the Best of the Best
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chasmyn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the links in the OP are dead. FYI - thanks for the working ones, though - I'm getting a MAC chef's knife for $60!!!
jagstyle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chasmyn wrote:
A lot of the links in the OP are dead. FYI - thanks for the working ones, though - I'm getting a MAC chef's knife for $60!!!

Knifeforums.com - In the Kitchen

Foodie Forums - Fred's Cutlery Forum
CookNewb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which knife turned out to be the best of the best?

Was it the Misono UX10?
SirSpice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as the best knife, because people tend to have subtle personal preferences.

Possibly, the best knife is one which is custom made from you according to your specifications.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Williams-Sonoma over the weekend. They had a large Masamoto slicing knife with a mirror finish and the tiniest little tang leading the blade into the handle for $2800.00?!?!?!?!?! Could a knife that one would cook with, despite being a Rockwell 64-65 hardness that would be exposed to the elements be worth that, other than as a collectable item?
SirSpice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it one of the knives here?

I don't doubt that it slices through tuna fillets like they were warm butter, but a lot of of the price comes from the finish, the handle material, the precision, and the maker's name. You can get rough finished knives with the same steel that will work just as well for under $200.

The mirror finish is a very labor intensive process, but it's mostly cosmetic. The process of making honyaki knives has a high failure rate (they come out bent), so that also adds to the price.

I personally don't see the advantage of having a pure blue steel knife, when you can get blue steel thats cladded in cheaper steel less money. The only usable part is the edge, and if it's clad in stainless than it keeps the knife from discoloring.

Last edited by SirSpice on Wed May 09, 2007 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well have been from that line of knives. It doesn't seem like it would be 14 times better than another excellent knife that I would spend $200 or less, on.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you're looking to do it. This youtube video of a tuna carving ceremony is a little over the top with the sound and knife brandishing, but it shows some really sharp knives and some awesome skill.

Notice how he just pushes the blade right through the fish. Now I don't know what knives he's using, but you can bet that they cost hundreds of dollars.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:
I'm I put one inbetween the crack of a picnic table and whacked it! Kersnap!

Yeah, me too. Those cheap Sabatiers. I put the tip of one of mine between my driveway pavers, twisted, and ...... SNAP. Oh the horror.

Two things - first, I have a bunch of vintage Sabs and they are absolutely wonderful, as in "shave", or as the professional sharpeners call "scary sharp".

Second - if you insist on virgin steel there are some Nogent style Sabs now on the market with steel forged pre WWII but cut and assembled recently. They won't last long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum